Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying new Beach - Advise on spec again & questions

LemonDrop

LemonDrop

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are also looking at buying Beach before prices go up and any thoughts on our spec. would be very much appreciated.

Plus I have a few questions:
1) Would it be an idea to also consider "Tow-bar prep"? Is adding a tow-bar later on a nightmare?
2) Does anyone know what the difference is between the "sleeping mat" and "comfort sleeping mat?" Comfort is cheaper.
3) I would prefer black wing mirror, does that mean paying for the Exterior pack (that I think they're included in) or can we get this as a free option?

Proposed spec for a 150PS DSG (probably in Grape Yellow)

Adaptive Cruise Control
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
Mud Flaps - Front and Rear
Parking Sensors - Front and Rear
Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat-insulating Glass in Cab
Awning - Black Rail and Housing
Bed Extension with Sleeping Mat (not sure on whether to go for comfort)
Interior Light Concept for Camper Comfort in Passenger Compartment
Tyres - All-weather

 Think that's it...

Another very nice spec but consider normal cruise - some have noted that adaptive can be a PITA and you cannot configure it to 'normal' (ie you set the speed and you do the braking/distance control).

Definitely go tow ball prer if you think you might need one - makes things much easier and cheaper (?) down the line.

Larger screen and app connect for (Google/Waze/Apple Maps) sat nav would be an essential IMHO.

Maybe think again on mud flaps - not sure how well they work for some from past topics and they spoil the looks IMHO.

Maybe think again on mud flaps - not sure how well they work for some and they spoil the looks IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Good point, might ditch those.

Thanks for your thoughts on Adaptive CC & other bits and bobs. Will have a think. Annoying that you can't have App connect without the larger screen (at an extra £450!).

Also you can't have Grape Yellow without also having the Exterior pack. I didn't know that until just now, whilst tinkering in the configurator.

Definitely go with the tow pack prep.

Regarding cruise, I personally would never choose to have standard cruise but love Adaptive. It is a personal choice / preference.

Other spec to consider is the night heater.....doesn't come as standard on a Beach, and will help it sell when you come to part with it (not saying you'll get your money back, just that it will be something possible buyers will ask about).

I have mud flaps, and they're alright. Wouldn't be fussed with or without them.

Agree about getting some sort of App Connect capable device. Rear camera is useful, but not cheap....might not be needed if you planning on towing a caravan or something.

Oh and lights.....not saying LED's (very expensive), but possibly consider upgrading them.

Issue is, all of the above options really starts to push the price up....but you did ask! :)

Also you can't have Grape Yellow without also having the Exterior pack. I didn't know that until just now, whilst tinkering in the configurator.

Doesn't the exterior pack also give the 'fogs'? Again, I'd go for it - the front end looks much nicer with them and the black parts make the yellow pop.

Forgot the heater as spotted above from Moaksey - hideously expensive but essential if you want to use the Cali to it's full purpose unless you always plan to EHU and use a small fan heater but that limits you - our last trip this summer (one month long) we did not EHU once.

The exterior pack does give fogs so looks like that's a keeper.

The pesky desirable night heater! I'm not sure how much need for it we would have to justify an extra £1900...we are fair-weather tent campers (at least at the moment!). Never have we wild camped (yet!). I was thinking that if we decided we had to have a night heater down the line we could get one retro-fitted basically to the same standard as factory-fitted...or am I wrong?...

Exterior pack also uprates your headlights from the poor visabilty bog standard ones to the ones that come standard with the ocean. I think most people would say that’s another thing worth having alongside the fogs that come with the pack. Go for it!
(And as stated before it is a compulsory purchase with the yellow anyway - best colour!)

The exterior pack does give fogs so looks like that's a keeper.

The pesky desirable night heater! I'm not sure how much need for it we would have to justify an extra £1900...we are fair-weather tent campers (at least at the moment!). Never have we wild camped (yet!). I was thinking that if we decided we had to have a night heater down the line we could get one retro-fitted basically to the same standard as factory-fitted...or am I wrong?...

When we purchased our beach secondhand it's a basic model no night heater and that's what we want at the moment if we were to have it fitted further down the line it would cost in the region of £1500 which would look the same as factory fitted apart from the control unit which is separate and not like the ocean but that wouldn't bother me this is something that we would probably go for eventually.

The MV Airo is a *much* lower cost option that is worth considering (and also has the advantage of *not* being integrated into the Cali). ;) :

https://www.kiravans.co.uk/catalog/...y-mounting-plate-ducts-and-vents/category/81/

IMO the two things you must have on a Beach are the awning (it just isn't a Cali without one) and the diesel parking heater with remote. The only other thing that I would say is a border line essential is the exterior pack which gives you better headlights. The standard ones are poor.

All the rest is down to choice.

If you are going to need a tow bar then go for the detachable one if your budget will run to it. It's a wonderful unit and you don't need to have it sticking out the back when not in use.

I gave the heater a lot of thought and didn't go for it in the end for similar reasons. If I come to regret it I'll look at one of the aftermarket options, preferably one that can be controlled using my phone.

I went for the extra swivel seats as I've got young kids and we'll be using it as an MPV at least some of the time.

Also App Conect as I've used it on hire cars and I think it's great, much better than most built in nav systems. Also folding mirrors as they weren't hugely expensive and it's a big vehicle so it might make them less likely to get banged when parked.

Also folding mirrors as they weren't hugely expensive and it's a big vehicle so it might make them less likely to get banged when parked.

Thing is when they do get smashed (as one of ours did thanks to a great muppet in a coachbuilt along the banks of the river Dordogne) they cost a heck of a lot to replace! And one more thing to go wrong that I would not spec but as always options are very personal.

1) Would it be an idea to also consider "Tow-bar prep"? Is adding a tow-bar later on a nightmare?
Adding a tow bar later would be expensive.
Adaptive Cruise Control
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat-insulating Glass in Cab
Tyres - All-weather
Good spec. very similar to ours.
Consider dropping the mud flaps, also not sure about the tyres. We have summer tyres, slow down in the rain, and keep snow chains all year round in the void under the driver's seat.
Consider adding the parking heater for year round camping.
We also have a reversing camera. Very useful if you have bikes on the back when reverse parking.

Does anyone know what the "Alternator - 180A" is? It comes up in the Autoebid options list but not on the VW configurator.

If it is an option for an uprated alternator for charging the batteries it seems strange not to be on the VW website.

I would always go for parking sensors they are just so handy. I have standard headlight on my t5 so I'm always surprised to hear they are so terrible on the T6 because mine are fine. Although maybe others are used to HID type lights that are great unless you are the poor soul coming in the other direction. ;)

Heaters are a must for me however if you always plan to have hookup then you can get a £25 Kampa diddy or similar and be nice and warm without using up diesel (they don't use much fuel though). If you plan to wild camp or go off grid then they may be a good idea.

Does anyone know what the "Alternator - 180A" is? It comes up in the Autoebid options list but not on the VW configurator.

If it is an option for an uprated alternator for charging the batteries it seems strange not to be on the VW website.

All UK models/engines have the same 180A alternator as standard.

Adding a removable tow bar later circa £800 exactly the same as factory fit

get yellow paint. parking heater. 2 must haves on a beach. the heater will help resale if it's factory and it really is fantastic pumping out a hefty 3kw of heat on full. you can go skiing and camp with the heater fitted. your missus will moan if it gets cold so the heater also prevents ear ache

We are also looking at buying Beach before prices go up and any thoughts on our spec. would be very much appreciated.

Plus I have a few questions:
2) Does anyone know what the difference is between the "sleeping mat" and "comfort sleeping mat?" Comfort is cheaper.
3) I would prefer black wing mirror, does that mean paying for the Exterior pack (that I think they're included in) or can we get this as a free option?

Proposed spec for a 150PS DSG (probably in Grape Yellow)

Adaptive Cruise Control
Tyres - All-weather

 Think that's it...

Hi,
I have a white Beach, with similar options,
Black mirrors is actually a “freebie”,
I opted for the privacy glass but wasn’t impressed (not dark enough), so wouldn’t bother.
Removable tow bar, as I’ve read a few post with issues getting one installed later.
Mud flaps can be fitted anytime,

Above all consider LED headlights !!!!
As the standard H4’s are P*ss poor in the dark and they are around £4k to be retrofitted :(

Oh nearly forgot, a parking heater :) with remote control.

Last edited:
factory Heater:
I got one retrofitted & it heats just as well & is perfectly integrated, but it's not as good as having one with factory control panel etc from the off. You will use it on winter days out, not just for sleeping when it's colder. Essential.

better headlamps:
Beach standard lamps are rubbish / borderline dangerous.

Awning.

Cruise, doesn't matter which.

+1 for led lights excellent, much much better than standard on T5.1 even with updated 30% brighter bulbs.

A heater is a must have

The tow bar can be fitted retrospectively, however if you think you will use one have it factory fitted, or at least have tow bar prep, I had a removable tow bar fitted retrospectively, it’s exactly the same westfalia as factory but £800 and a day to fit and code (supplied and fitted by Sat Nav Sytems based in Chertsey who were excellent)