Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Byelaws, pop-top and cooking

calijomo

calijomo

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apologies if this is a dumb question about interpreting byelaws. Does anyone know what a "no camping" rule restricts me from doing during the day while in my Cali waiting in a carpark?

I parked up my Cali (T6 Ocean) in Trent Park (Barnet, Enfield) during the day - no plans to stay overnight obvs.

The byelaws state that camping is not allowed. Does this mean that I not allowed to raise my pop-top while waiting in the park? Can I cook lunch inside the van? Am I able to put the blinds down and watch a movie? Or are those activities "camping".

I did a bit of googling but could find a definition of what "camping" is? Many thanks for your thoughts.

Apologies if this is a dumb question about interpreting byelaws. Does anyone know what a "no camping" rule restricts me from doing during the day while in my Cali waiting in a carpark?

I parked up my Cali (T6 Ocean) in Trent Park (Barnet, Enfield) during the day - no plans to stay overnight obvs.

The byelaws state that camping is not allowed. Does this mean that I not allowed to raise my pop-top while waiting in the park? Can I cook lunch inside the van? Am I able to put the blinds down and watch a movie? Or are those activities "camping".

I did a bit of googling but could find a definition of what "camping" is? Many thanks for your thoughts.

I expect “no camping” means no overnight sleeping.

We see lots of such signs with such instruction. To me, camping is staying overnight. Have seen signs also no food consumption or preparation! Who has not had fish and chips in a car park or make their kids a picnic. (before owning a Cali?) As for deckchairs and table, everyone seems to be having an outside picnic at the moment with all the kit.
New Forest has started as well as no camping added leave by dusk. So much for a walk across the health at dusk to watch the Nightjar!

In Europe no camping means placing nothing outside your vehicle, chairs, table, awning etc. if you only have the tyres on the ground you are only classed as parking.
That definition always sounded sensible to me, getting the tables and chairs out can often look like setting up camp. We tend not put the roof up to if stopping for a day visit or free camping overnight, draws less attention.

Your worrying too much about nothing.

If it simply states "no camping" with no further explanation then I would feel free to do what I like inside my van. Pop the roof, put the kettle on, cook away.

In the really rare chance anyone Is going to do anything then contest it with "surely, camping means sleeping overnight which we have no intentions of doing".

Last edited:
If it simply states "no camping" with no further explanation then I would feel free to do what I like inside my van. Pop the roof, put the kettle on, cook away.

In the really rare chance anyone Is going to do anything contest it with "surely, camping means sleeping overnight which we have no intentions of doing".
What if you had some huge choons on at the same time?

In Europe no camping means placing nothing outside your vehicle, chairs, table, awning etc. if you only have the tyres on the ground you are only classed as parking.
So you could sleep in the van?

What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over

I would say poping up the roof might be a giveaway, but with the roof down who's to know.

We see a lot of vans here in Spain parked on the side of the road here in our village and I have seen the odd chap returning with a bag full of food get in and no one bats an eye lid....

Respect where you are and leave not a sign. Just enjoy.

So you could sleep in the van?
France is very liberal about overnighting but the above are Aires rules often referred to as 'Camping activities' although often not observed.
Someone from Germany will confirm but i think sleeping in vehicles may be an offence in Germany except in an approved location, i.e. campsite or Stellplatz. Maybe different for HGV drivers.

As far as the UK is concerned, the best explanation I have read is in this link to the Campervan Bible...

The new law going through parliament at the moment (Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill) will make it a criminal offence if it is thought that you have intention to reside for any period whatsoever, reside being very vague deliberately and being a campervan by its very nature is open to being considered that you are. Even if you are just asked to move on, you are restricted from coming back to that spot for 12 months and if you do you risk having your van impounded for 3 months and a criminal record. In theroy (unlikely to be used but by law could be) stopping for a picnic with the roof up could result in a conviction and the van being impounded. It’s a terrible law.

So wild camping will become a criminal office in theory

The new law going through parliament at the moment (Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill) will make it a criminal offence if it is thought that you have intention to reside for any period whatsoever, reside being very vague deliberately and being a campervan by its very nature is open to being considered that you are. Even if you are just asked to move on, you are restricted from coming back to that spot for 12 months and if you do you risk having your van impounded for 3 months and a criminal record. In theroy (unlikely to be used but by law could be) stopping for a picnic with the roof up could result in a conviction and the van being impounded. It’s a terrible law.

So wild camping will become a criminal office in theory

No, let's not start this again. It will only become an offence if you have the intention to reside AND you are asked to move and don't AND you cause significant harm or disruption.

If anyone wants to know more they can read the thread in the Three Cocks section.

Guy's keep it simple. I think the world is a silly place right now because of this bloody virus and the Police have better things to do than evoking a bylaw because you're parked for a few hours.
The OP asked "Parking Trent Park (Barnet, Enfield) during the day" and I think he would be fine. As for overnighting for whatever reason as I have already stated:
Respect where you are and leave not a sign. Just enjoy

Let's not get into the law says this and the law says that. Life is just too short right now.

No, let's not start this again. It will only become an offence if you have the intention to reside AND you are asked to move and don't AND you cause significant harm or disruption.

If anyone wants to know more they can read the thread in the Three Cocks section.

I think the proposed law is subject to amendments, also it is open to interpretation, and certainly the word “reside” means different things to different people. For example, some might argue that sleeping somewhere overnight means you have resided, others think it means something a little more permanent.

I think the proposed law is subject to amendments, also it is open to interpretation, and certainly the word “reside” means different things to different people. For example, some might argue that sleeping somewhere overnight means you have resided, others think it means something a little more permanent.
Yes all laws are subject to interpretation. As has been discussed in the thread now in Three Cocks. Ad nauseam.

God it's like Groundhog Day.

Apologies for the post and the reaction it has caused, it was not meant to cause any offence, I thought I was being helpful, sorry if that's not the case

Apologies for the post and the reaction it has caused, it was not meant to cause any offence, I thought I was being helpful, sorry if that's not the case

I think the wrath of VD was directed (or misdirected) at me.

the Police have better things to do
Do they? Really?

My mum's friend, in her late 70s, (real person not internet hearsay) got a FPN of £200 4 weeks ago for travelling 10 miles to go to Waitrose Colchester. Plod were sitting in the car park checking everyone's number plate. So clearly they do not have better things to do.

Last edited: