Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

C&CC with an 'awning'

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are booked in at a c&cc site for the bank holiday. Unusually for us being at a c&cc site and a hardstanding. Now a little concerned that we might have some trouble with our configuration - Cali plus our Vango Airhub http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/1939-airhub-hex.html

We have booked a 5 x 5m 'with awning' space.

Three questions:

1. Will we likely be fine or run into comments/ problems form the wardens?
2. Do most people only use the hardstanding space or the grass adjacent (whichever side is 'ours')?
3. Do they have a definition of an 'awning'/ Do we need to muck about pretending it is joined onto the cali or just be considerate and pitch things neatly without encroaching on others?

and yes, we did leave booking for the bank holiday rather late :(

From past experience at club sites the awning needs to be on the hardstanding area as they don't allow it on the grass

Thanks Victor. It will work fine for us within the hardstanding area - just want to avoid arriving and running into problems with questions about what is, and is not, an awning....

The “Peg” is on the left corner as you look at the hard standing normally, so they will want you nose in as the cali slider is on the offside.

From my experience they are quite relaxed. Best keep the awning on the hardstanding then no one has need to comment on it. It's a lot smaller than the "three rooms, bathroom and a kitchen" that I often see on club sites.

yes I have found it's always best to talk to person who takes you to pitch about door being on opp side to most..but they don't like you encroaching on grass have even had to keep my wind-out shade on the h/s.
I opt for grass where poss as dog does not like jumping onto sharp stones...(yes we do have a mat for when it's stones) but given all the rain I think h/s may be better at the mo!
I have experienced really helpful site staff but have also had some less so ...

We once got into trouble at a C&CC site because we parked up to the grass edge on the hard standing, and then wound out our awning over the grass. Apparently it contravened the '6mtr rule'!

I paced it and found the awning edge was actually over 7 mtrs from the adjacent hard standing! No camper had complained, just a job's worth assistant warden.

Alan

This is at a C&CC Site in the Forest of Dean in March where because the grass was very very soft we were asked to keep the van and the awning on the hardstand.

I pitched the Kela III slightly closer than normal to the van and we squeezed on the pitch just about ok (we weren't yellow or red carded!).

The 'vestibule' was just a bit slack, but with a little extra tension on the far side guys we avoided any puddling. It only rained a tiny bit - honest!
CCC Pitch.jpg

Parking to the peg is probably due to caravan site licence rules and distance between vans and no separate awnings is because the sites probably only have planning permission for caravans not tents.....so where a warden let’s these things go by the wayside....be happy :)

Personally I don't like being dictated to about what direction my vehicle and/or tent should face, and as a general rule I avoid any campsite whose rules extend to more than an A4 page!

We've never had a problem with C&CC only the C&MC to regimental for me can't do this can't do that.

Personally I don't like being dictated to about what direction my vehicle and/or tent should face, and as a general rule I avoid any campsite whose rules extend to more than an A4 page!
We've never had a problem with C&CC only the C&MC to regimental for me can't do this can't do that.
Never had a problem with C & MC, only C & CC with Wardens failing to enforce their own basic rules such as the Noise curfew or ball games near pitches, but then each club caters for different types and unfortunately some can be very inconsiderate of others hence rules. They are Clubs and hence you join and agree to abide by the rules. If you don't want to abide by the rules don't join and don't use their sites and leave them for those who do. Simple really.:thumb

We’ve just spent another five nights on two different C&MC sites. Fantastic sites- helpful wardens -not at all fussy, great facilities, really friendly people all around, including Motorhomers, Caravanners and a couple of Californians. Horses for courses I know but they suit us.

Never had a problem with C & MC, only C & CC with Wardens failing to enforce their own basic rules such as the Noise curfew or ball games near pitches, but then each club caters for different types and unfortunately some can be very inconsiderate of others hence rules. They are Clubs and hence you join and agree to abide by the rules. If you don't want to abide by the rules don't join and don't use their sites and leave them for those who do. Simple really.:thumb

I don't know what you're referring to but I am not one of that type I also can abide by the rules and curfew times for noise and anyone who does not in my opinion should be asked to leave whether they've paid for their holiday or not I was referring to some of the wardens on the C&MC are quite pompous and it must be done in a certain way in other words I want your caravan or vehicle on that mark they might be a bit more lenient nowadays but then again they have to be seeing that club was only for caravans in the first place and what I'm also trying to say about the camping and Caravan club is that they are more flexible with their pitch rules i.e you can go which ever way round you wish just so long as you stay within your pitch and I would also agree that the C & MC have some brilliant sites but unfortunately I don't like pompous people and that's why I am not a member anymore so there you go I must be just a common working man / Foster Care. That's why I have been in this Club from the beginning as far as I can tell there is no pompous people in this Club :thumb

Have only been a member of C&MC for just over a year but have found them to be great. Stayed at a lot of sites and every warden has been friendly and welcoming, particularly towards our toddler-age daughter. Don’t think we’ve fallen foul of any rules but have enjoyed the impeccable facilities. Had to cancel a long weekend at the last minute last week as daughter came down with scarlet fever - lady on the phone was lovely and we hadn’t paid anything up front so didn’t lose a penny.

I did read recently that part of their action plan for the future is to get more campervan users onto their sites (talk of a survey), hopefully this trickles down to any remaining members of the awkward squad and they can start to improve the general perception non-caravaners have.

We were members of C&CC last year and stayed on a couple of their sites. We didn't like having to pay a non-refundable deposit and also having an allocated pitch - so didn't renew our membership. We have found C&MC to be far more relaxed - no deposits and you can choose a pitch from whatever is available. Everyone is different in what they want, but this suits us.

We were members of C&CC last year and stayed on a couple of their sites. We didn't like having to pay a non-refundable deposit and also having an allocated pitch - so didn't renew our membership. We have found C&MC to be far more relaxed - no deposits and you can choose a pitch from whatever is available. Everyone is different in what they want, but this suits us.

I must say you do have to leave a deposit but it is transferable for instance if you cancel your booking you can transfer it onto a new one and I have never been allocated a pitch they might suggest one for you but if you do not want that pitch I've never experienced a problem and I've always managed to get a good pitch perhaps the new breed of wardens / site managers for the C&MC are a bit more relaxed now days all I know when I was a member they were not but I must admit they do have some splendid campsites :thumb

I think Club sites are similar to insurance companies - it depends who you talk to! I had made a C&CC booking and queried whether we could transfer the deposit if we had to cancel (we both have jobs where we sometimes need to work weekends, so need to change bookings) and was told it was non-refundable so would be lost. We had an allocated pitch at Tavistock - not the best one that was available - but hey, ho, that's life!