Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cab Divider Curtain First Attempt......

Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I use my cali (Jenifer) daily for work and park her all over the country. Got windows tinted. But still able to see in especially when sun shines through windscreen.

Also sometimes work in there when son training/football and before matches. Thus kit in back.

Always wanted a set of divider curtains so got a rail and set curtains from Dunelm, tie backs from Van x and double sided tape Amazon. So a non drill attempt... Getting there... Learned how to gather curtains....

They actually make the girl sound a little more like a car when drawn and driving.. Attaching two photographs but still adjusting and sorting... More comfort for my travels...

Also put one of those battery LED torches in cupboard.. Fantastic... always struggled in bottom of wardrobe...

Also putting a battery sensor alarm in the back 120db... I know it can be pulled out and thrown away but may frighten off... also when I am away I would generally hear it from hotel car parks..

Also the large Ridge Monkey ordered....

Cant wait for Spain again this year...7 months to go... ferry booked.... Life with a Cali is great..IMG_2750.jpgIMG_2744.jpg

That’s good. Been thinking about similar after having to use blanket and bulldog clips when it was too windy to get the roof up. What do you do with the heater?

Thanks

I am probably overlooking something, but what is the advantage of these curtains?

I normally use the genuine blinds on the front and side windows to get privacy. Arent, they disturbing the heater and swivelling of the seats?

I am probably overlooking something, but what is the advantage of these curtains?

I normally use the genuine blinds on the front and side windows to get privacy. Arent, they disturbing the heater and swivelling of the seats?
Each has different needs. I have a black curtain in a similar position and find it most useful and time saving. I mostly travel alone so don’t often swivel the seats. Having a curtain that separates the cab from the sleeping area helps with the heating as far too hot for sleep when on lowest setting even when very cold I find. With curtain cab is hot... sleeping area is cool enough for good sleep. When traveling with guests in the penthouse curtain helps to keep them warmer and me cooler.
I have heavy tinted windows and when parked always pull black curtain across easily from drivers seat so near impossible to see in therefore increasing security as (passerby) can never be sure van is unoccupied. Mine is simple thin grey cord around upper bed base under mattress with elastic joint to keep taught with black fabric/throw hanging over same. Have the std front windows blinds but never used as takes far too long and I’m very much into quick setup and departure. All just IMO and personal choice.

I am thinking something similar, dividing off the dog crate from the main sleeping compartment at night. A lightweight timber platform between the two cab seats and crate on top. Then blackout curtain divide.

That’s good. Been thinking about similar after having to use blanket and bulldog clips when it was too windy to get the roof up. What do you do with the heater?

Thanks

Just completed them, but very thin. I am sure the heater would just blow them out the way at low level. Must admit used heater loads up to now. Could either shorten (Currently floor tyo roof), velcro them around heater.... I will let you know if any issues..

They dont bother the seats... Like Skewif says.... It takes seconds to deploy these and they add to the security, you now would have to get right up close to look in and think of breaking in and you do not know if someone is in there. I feel safer leaving "stuff" in there and getting changed.. Its seconds... They are great for me..

Just completed them, but very thin. I am sure the heater would just blow them out the way at low level. Must admit used heater loads up to now. Could either shorten (Currently floor tyo roof), velcro them around heater.... I will let you know if any issues..
My curtain only goes down to just above hot air vent so doesn’t stop rear of van being heated. When wanting to heat the rear less I place a deflector that directs air flow up cab side of curtain.

Even with this I sleep better with heating off as still quite warm and makes air / mouth so dry. If colder than -10C will leave on as otherwise dogs water bowl frozen solid by morning.

I've pondered this kind of thing I few times. Out of interest does that setup mean the heater gets hotter? The reason I ask is the intake is usually in the drivers footwell, and the curtain will keep the warm air in the back and the cool air in the cab. The heater may think its colder than it really is in the back?

Last edited:
I got an old blind, cut inserts for the roof bits, hung it off the edges upside down. The wood bit at the bottom weighs it down.

I've pondered this kind of thing I few ties. Out of interest does that setup mean the heater gets hotter? The reason I ask is the intake is usually in the drivers footwell, and the curtain will keep the warm air in the back and the cool air in the can. The heater may think its colder than it really is in the back?
Yes does make cab cooler so heater pushes more heat. During day curtain open so no problem. At night a deflector of any sort to direct air up into cab so heater will run less.

Well... just got mine and looked at the side and rear... thought “great!” Just after dinner, I looked in the tray under the middle swivel and found three things.
1, A tiny torch that plugs in the cigar lighter to re-charge
2, another torch! KED with a twisty stalk that also plugs in the cigar lighter but that is the only way it works
3, A large bit of grey fabric. Not tried it yet but I assume it is for the front windows???
I’ll see how it fits tomorrow.
Farl

Well... just got mine and looked at the side and rear... thought “great!” Blinds! Just after dinner, I looked in the tray under the middle swivel and found three things.
2, another torch! KED with a twisty stalk that also plugs in the cigar lighter but that is the only way it works
3, A large bit of grey fabric. Not tried it yet but I assume it is for the front windows???
Farl

I just let people look in. if they want to see 9 inch swinging about looking for my pee bottle they're all welcome to look. especially those weird caravaners with their plant pots and bird feeders

Well... just got mine and looked at the side and rear... thought “great!” Just after dinner, I looked in the tray under the middle swivel and found three things.
Farl
Yea, should be 2 fabric window covers with magnets sewn in for the front side windows

Could you do me a curtain that goes between the two front seats? (One that doesn’t let any sound through.)

:D

(Hope she never finds this forum on her iPad!)

I use my cali (Jenifer) daily for work and park her all over the country. Got windows tinted. But still able to see in especially when sun shines through windscreen.

Also sometimes work in there when son training/football and before matches. Thus kit in back.

Always wanted a set of divider curtains so got a rail and set curtains from Dunelm, tie backs from Van x and double sided tape Amazon. So a non drill attempt... Getting there... Learned how to gather curtains....

They actually make the girl sound a little more like a car when drawn and driving.. Attaching two photographs but still adjusting and sorting... More comfort for my travels...

Also put one of those battery LED torches in cupboard.. Fantastic... always struggled in bottom of wardrobe...

Also putting a battery sensor alarm in the back 120db... I know it can be pulled out and thrown away but may frighten off... also when I am away I would generally hear it from hotel car parks..

Also the large Ridge Monkey ordered....

Cant wait for Spain again this year...7 months to go... ferry booked.... Life with a Cali is great..View attachment 29557View attachment 29558
How do you hold them up. Looks great idea I am working on finding a way of making the passenger area private so I can make use of the porta -potty in service areas (don't always want to leave the van unattended) or roadside. So far just tried sting on clips suck to side walls with a blanked hanging over! Side blinds work OK but front and rear is difficult to close off quickly.

How do you hold them up. Looks great idea I am working on finding a way of making the passenger area private so I can make use of the porta -potty in service areas (don't always want to leave the van unattended) or roadside. So far just tried sting on clips suck to side walls with a blanked hanging over! Side blinds work OK but front and rear is difficult to close off quickly.
We just throw a blanket over the front and rear headrests for quick loo stops. No one can see in ‘cos it’s quite dark with the blinds down.