Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cab Heating

Johnny3555

Johnny3555

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
We’re on our first long trip and have a problem with the heating while driving. We set the dash dial to around 20 deg C and the heat comes on and builds up to a almost uncomfortably level and then goes off till almost cold before repeating this hot/cold cycle. Is this normal or is there a heater thermostat problem. It’s a 2017 coast.

Not normal...
Have you checked all the temps aren't battling to start with?
I'm not familiar with the Coast but if the rear temp is way different than the front left and right I suppose you could get conflict.
I have mine on 22 deg C front left and right and pretty close in the rear (up or down a couple of degrees depending on my daughters mood). I hardly ever change this so no need to alter anything and rear not selected on dash controls.Air con left on and the result is pretty harmonious.

Not normal as 2020 freedom says.
The temperature should rise (when it's cold) to about the temperature asked, and then self adjusting throughout the trip.

Have you climate control? I've had similar issues, but the dealers have checked and said it is working as designed.
I rather think it's like office air conditioning, always fighting to keep the office at 20 degrees by injecting cold air, meaning some poor person sits in a cold blast!

We've had a problem with our California over the last two and a half years of ownership, that we learned to live with because we couldn't pinpoint exactly what was going on. It was that with the air conditioning switched off, periodically the dashboard on each side would get very hot.
We mentioned this when SusiBus was in for her second service at VW Breeze at Poole, and told it was a software problem, there was also sometimes a problem of vortices forming within the main body of the heater box, this could not be cured.
Me thinking, this is only a heater, not the after burners on a space shuttle, what happened to the days when heaters were controlled with just a little lever or a knob?
Anyway , although we've not done many miles since the software has been fiddled with, all seams well. Knowledge on this rather obscure aspects of a California is reason why we find it worth travelling all the way from Watford to Poole worthwhile. Great senior technician thanks Martin

Back