Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac and options

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning All
Starting to think about essential purchases for the summer weekends to come…
We have had a Cadac Carri Chef for a few years now. It's been brilliant and would highly recommend, but it seen so much use it will need replacing soon.
My only gripe with it is it takes up a fair bit of space in the van. Been looking at the Safari Chef as a compact alternative, but it seems too small for a family of four.
Anyone recommend anything else? Must be compact and lightweight?
Thanks

We have gone the other way - we just about made do with the safari chef for 2 adults and 4 children but we ended up eating in shifts. It was a pain bending over to use it floor standing & I was never happy using it on a table in case it got knocked over.
Space wise it depends how much you want to cook at time, if its just 4 burgers it would be fine with perhaps a couple of sausages squeezed on as well. bacon & eggs for four would be impossible. On the other hand it is much much smaller to pack & a lot quicker to set up.
I believe you can get shorter legs for a Carri chef as an option & leave the dome lid at home, that for me would be the ideal compromise.

We have gone the other way - we just about made do with the safari chef for 2 adults and 4 children but we ended up eating in shifts. It was a pain bending over to use it floor standing & I was never happy using it on a table in case it got knocked over.
Space wise it depends how much you want to cook at time, if its just 4 burgers it would be fine with perhaps a couple of sausages squeezed on as well. bacon & eggs for four would be impossible. On the other hand it is much much smaller to pack & a lot quicker to set up.
I believe you can get shorter legs for a Carri chef as an option & leave the dome lid at home, that for me would be the ideal compromise.
Cheers Andy. I see on the Cadac website they do a Grillogas, which is pretty much as you describe, no lid. Lid is handy though, just takes up too much space!

I have not been able to find anything as versatile as the carri chef so I accept that it takes up a bit of space. We never use the lid so that stays at home. We use ours a lot for all sorts of meals so in the long run I suppose it is a good use of space as it is all in one package.