Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cadac HP OR LP

CALIBEACH83

CALIBEACH83

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hey ,

I 'm thinking of buying a cadac safari chef 2 .
I'm wondering which one i should buy .The hp or lP .
The hp seems handy because you don't need an external gascartridge .
but can you fold the legs with the cartdige still attached , you can't unscrew the cartridge when there's still gas left can you ?
THe lp seems more a hastlte with hose and expansion valve ..

The LP has a higher output and have read on a couple of forums about people sending the HP back and getting the LP because just not getting hot enough to BBQ. It's a shame as I think the HP is a much neater setup. Yes you can remove the gas bottle even when half used. I have the LP and use 500g bottles as cheaper than Campingaz (when bought in bulk) and easier to carry. Seb

I have the LP and picked up the HP converter regulator (Go outdoors) so you can have the best of both. I don't fancy lugging the LP bottle down the beach when a campingaz or similar will do the job. :thumb

I went for the HP despite the bad reviews online regarding it not being hot enough, and it seems absolutely fine to me.

I have the LP and picked up the HP converter regulator (Go outdoors) so you can have the best of both. I don't fancy lugging the LP bottle down the beach when a campingaz or similar will do the job. :thumb
I had the same intention but can honestly say we'll probably never use it with the LP bottle as the little campingaz suits us fine - it stores neatly in a net on the side of the carrybag too.

Just bought a Cadac Safari Chef 2 plus pizza stone. Went for the LP as we will be taking two 907 bottles with us, one for the camping chef and the other a spare which can be used with the Cadac when required.

Went for the LP as I use it with the 904 so a spare for the Cali.

Mike
I do the same Mike, though I use the smaller 901, it fits in the little mesh pocket in the carrying case
If I go on a long hot trip, Where I cook outside a lot I may even swop cylinders

I also have the LP and will get a HP converter. LP = best of both worlds for me.

Which will be very soon
Evening, Cyclopath.
Not sure whether it’s possible to pick up a thread from years ago; however, I’ll give it a try...
We’re new to this game, having taken receipt of our first Cali only last October (2019), so we haven’t managed to accrue much experience of cooking using the van’s hob, let alone try out an external barbecue or stove. The Cadac Safari Chef 2 is on our shopping list and we think that we’ve settled for the LP version; however, we’d like to travel light and like your idea of a smaller 901 canister rather than another 904 which we have installed already in the van. Not knowing too much about the various cylinder sizes, we were wondering (roughly) how many hours of continuous cooking the 901 canister would provide? Any help regarding our likely purchase would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Phil.

Hi, I got this ok.
. Hmm, not sure of the answer as we are sporadic campers, and I don’t time our usage, but
last year we spent 3 months in the van in France and Spain. We mostly ate in the van, so using the 904, it was early season, so didnt use the CADAC that much.
I remember swopping the cylinder once in Spain, and then again in France ( as it was a problem to swop because the Spanish one was slightly different...finally found a check out guy that didn’t care!)
We went over with a cyclinder that was not New, and I havent changed it since ( but we haven’t done any longer tips since, and haven’t been able to go this year as planned
so they last pretty well, is all I can say. And , as before , the beauty is you can run the big one right out, and use your CADAC one, till you buy a top up.

Evening, Cyclopath.
Not sure whether it’s possible to pick up a thread from years ago; however, I’ll give it a try...
We’re new to this game, having taken receipt of our first Cali only last October (2019), so we haven’t managed to accrue much experience of cooking using the van’s hob, let alone try out an external barbecue or stove. The Cadac Safari Chef 2 is on our shopping list and we think that we’ve settled for the LP version; however, we’d like to travel light and like your idea of a smaller 901 canister rather than another 904 which we have installed already in the van. Not knowing too much about the various cylinder sizes, we were wondering (roughly) how many hours of continuous cooking the 901 canister would provide? Any help regarding our likely purchase would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Phil.
Oops, see my reply below...but I did it before going back over the thread. I did have the little 901 on the CADAC, but it used to runout quite quickly, and was relatively expensive to replace ( for the amount of gas) so I now use the bigger 904 as spare, and usual 907 in the van. It was 2018 that, in the lovely summer, we used the CADAC a lot, and the 901 kept running out. And I continue to be pretty minimal but the size is worth it I think

Hi, I got this ok.
. Hmm, not sure of the answer as we are sporadic campers, and I don’t time our usage, but
last year we spent 3 months in the van in France and Spain. We mostly ate in the van, so using the 904, it was early season, so didnt use the CADAC that much.
I remember swopping the cylinder once in Spain, and then again in France ( as it was a problem to swop because the Spanish one was slightly different...finally found a check out guy that didn’t care!)
We went over with a cyclinder that was not New, and I havent changed it since ( but we haven’t done any longer tips since, and haven’t been able to go this year as planned
so they last pretty well, is all I can say. And , as before , the beauty is you can run the big one right out, and use your CADAC one, till you buy a top up.
Many thanks for your help. It sounds as if the 904 provided a good lengthy service so, scaling down proportionately, the 901 should more than accommodate our needs. We don’t intend preparing “dinner party food”; it’s very much going to be used for the good old fry up at breakfast time and something equally creative and healthy in the evening, I suspect .

Many thanks for your help. It sounds as if the 904 provided a good lengthy service so, scaling down proportionately, the 901 should more than accommodate our needs. We don’t intend preparing “dinner party food”; it’s very much going to be used for the good old fry up at breakfast time and something equally creative and healthy in the evening, I suspect .
Yeah, it really depends how much you use it. WE have been lucky to be able to have 4, 8 or even 12 week hols. Not the same if it is a week away. You can save the space for buckets and spades!

Go lp and buy the convertor. I've done this and my cadac will run almost any gas canister I can find. The adapter is for the en417 screw cans which are small for if you need to port your cadac to the beach or something. Then back at the van I use my spare 907. At the moment I'm using an old caravan butane bottle I found in the garage that I adapted to fit. So answer is LP all the way. I can photograph if anyone's interested my attachments. Fnarr fnarr

Go lp and buy the convertor. I've done this and my cadac will run almost any gas canister I can find. The adapter is for the en417 screw cans which are small for if you need to port your cadac to the beach or something. Then back at the van I use my spare 907. At the moment I'm using an old caravan butane bottle I found in the garage that I adapted to fit. So answer is LP all the way. I can photograph if anyone's interested my attachments. Fnarr fnarr
FB, yes, please, can I get a pic of the adaptor please. There is an adaptor with a regulator ànd tube etc, and then there is just a fitting - a small bush type fitting. I am thinking od the small bush type for ease of use with a canister .

Thanks

Here you go. The blue thumb wheel bit is the best adapter. Just spin it in by hand and use a jubilee clip to fix it to a pipe. You can't leave a fitting attached or the legs won't close

IMG_20200601_132852.jpg

IMG_20200601_133016.jpg

IMG_20200601_133028.jpg

IMG_20200601_133108.jpg

IMG_20200601_133127.jpg

IMG_20200601_133314.jpg

IMG_20200601_133333.jpg

IMG_20200601_133536.jpg

IMG_20200601_133727.jpg

Here you go. The blue thumb wheel bit is the best adapter. Just spin it in by hand and use a jubilee clip to fix it to a pipe. You can't leave a fitting attached or the legs won't close
I fitted a quick release to our Cadac and drilled 1cm diameter holes in legs 1 and 2 to allow it to close.
1591030440757.png