Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef 2 help

Swissian

Swissian

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just bought the Cadac Safari Chef 2 and I am wondering if I have a defective one. It's the HP version designed for the cartridges so I bought a couple of cartridges locally that the man said were compatible.

Tonight I decided to try it before using it on a trip and I found that I couldn't adjust the flame size! There seems to be only a tiny tiny difference on the knob adjustment between off and full flame, and it was impossible to select a low gas flow! Result being, my sausages burnt on the outside but we're totally uncooked on the inside! :mad:

Is this normal? I'd love to know what's your experience if you got one of these?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just got back from our holiday with cadavers and same problem. I've emailed them and waiting to hear. Also my ignition won't catch although it sparks.

Is this normal? I'd love to know what's your experience if you got one of these?

Thanks

I used mine for the first time last week and found the same thing. Very little difference between nothing and roasting hot. Managed to set it low after a little playing and it cooked fine. Will track this thread with interest!

I think there's another thread on here discussing this issue. I've got the HP and the adjustment works fine, so it does sound like there are some defective units.

Many thanks for your replies @cockleshell, @Alibee and @Stuart. It's nice to know I am not the only one.
I have written to them again today (4th time) and so will wait and see if they answer.
Unfortunately the place I bought it have not been helpful!

Many thanks for your replies @cockleshell, @Alibee and @Stuart. It's nice to know I am not the only one.
I have written to them again today (4th time) and so will wait and see if they answer.
Unfortunately the place I bought it have not been helpful!
Where did you get it? I've emailed the retailer saying I want to exchange and possibly for the LP version and will get an adapter if I want to use small cannisters.

That's what I was thinking of doing also, but I live in Switzerland and bought it in Germany! The retailer handled both the export from Germany and the import into Switzerland, which is quite a lot of hassle for them. Could be why they are not being helpful, because they don't want to do it all again for the return and the delivery of the new one!

Like @MattBW we have the LP version and have had no problems at all. The control on flame size/heat is really good and we always get great results with whatever we cook.