Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef Deluxe vs Cadac Safari Chef 2 (2016)

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A very specific question about the Safari Chef. There is a new version out this year - the Cadac Safari Chef 2. Does anyone have any experience of how this differs from the previous version - the Cadac Safari Chef deluxe.

I can't find the Safari Chef 2 anywhere for less than £99 inc postage. I have found a few places still selling the previous model. The best price I have found is £80 inc postage with a free pizza stone (normally about £13).

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/cad...p-pizza-stone-free-uk-delivery/prod_1246.html

Is it worth the extra £33 for the new model?

We have the old one , thought we had bought new one! Old one requires a match/ gas lighter new automatic. Posh new legs .
Used our old a couple of times and it was great. I let the experienced crew give you more info

Have the old one, I believe the new one as mentioned has piezo ignition and its lighter plastic legs rather than metal.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
I have a new one and will be at the meet if you want a look. I was pondering a review of it. Does indeed have plastic legs.

I love everything about it except maybe one feature, the location of the gas connector. This has to be removed every time if you want to fold the legs away. Even the quick release valve gets in the way sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new one and will be at the meet if you want a look. I was pondering a review of it. Does indeed have plastic legs.

I love everything about it except maybe one feature, the location of the gas connector. This has to be removed every time if you want to fold the legs away. Even the quick release valve gets in the way sadly.

Thanks Matt. We won't be at the meet this weeken I'm afraid - midst of A Levels (not mine)!!

What I don't know of course is if the previous version suffers the same 'feature'.

Looking at a few pictures online I think it may be in the same place.

It's a minor gripe though and is very versatile and effective.

• Thanks
We went with the old one purely because it came with the pizza stone. We love everything about it.

@MattBW - We put our Cadac upside-down in the bag with the hose still on and have it poking out of the zip in the back corner and then but the connector and hose in the mesh bit on the side of the bag. ;)

Last edited:
Just bought the new one from go outdoors, was on offer a couple of weeks ago and with topcashback and member discount came to about £75 if I remember correctly. So watch for offers and use topcashback for the retailer if you can.

Only used it a couple of times on a recent trip but well impressed! Lamb chops and sausages and bacon sandwiches on toasted paninis. Not adventurous but just what we needed..

• Thanks

I'd like to come and have a nosey if that is ok? We have a WEBER Baby Q which I think is very impractical space-wise but my husband loves it.....

we purchased the Cadac safari chef 2 after pondering the older model, and seeing the new one in store. Despite the new plastic leg design it seems very stable and has the new feature of piezo ignition. There was 10% offer on at GoOutdoors so we picked it up for £90. I recommend it; it packs small, & cooks well. I did plan to run it off the existing gas canister using a new regulator and 3m length of gas pipe fitted with a quick-release connection. After first use though, I decided it is far easier to order a 2nd bottle and keep it as a back up for the van.... that means we have 2 internal gas rings and the cadac outdoors all usable at the same time for maximum flexibility. Hence I picked up the £31 new bottle mentioned on another thread.

We have Safari chef 2 and are very pleased with it. Having ignition is a great asset as griddle plates cover the burner whilst in use. Also the 2 has 2 separate grill plates with flame deflectors to spread heat evenly, whilst the original has a reverseable plate. We also have the pizza stone which works well.

• Agree
Thanks all. I'll be ordering one this evening. The best price I can find for the Safari Chef 2 is £99 inc VAT , delivery and a free pizza stone from gasproducts.co.uk .

I bought the Safari Chef 2 and have used it during a week in Cornwall. Very please with it.

Did I read somewhere that when using the BBQ griddle the windshield should be filled with water so that the fat floats on the water when it drips through? We tried this. It sort of works but even if you add the max amount of water (before it extinguishes the flame) then it seems to mostly evaporate off before you finish cooking.

Only other minor critisism is that the wind deflector cannot be used when using the simple pan stand.

We have an original safari chef and just used it for 2 wks in Switzerland, have the pizza stone. Absolutely brilliant. Pizzas were great, grill plate brilliant too. Highly recommend

Do you guys have the one that connects to a gas bottle or the one that uses gas cartridges?

I'm asking because I bought the cartridge version to be more flexible about where I grill, but I can't regulate the gas flow and so everything burns before cooking. Trying to determine if I have a faulty one or not!

High pressure version uses the small canisters, low pressure version the larger gas bottles. However the LP version can be used with the cadac adapter to use the small bottles too which for me is a bonus.

High pressure version uses the small canisters, low pressure version the larger gas bottles. However the LP version can be used with the cadac adapter to use the small bottles too which for me is a bonus.
@MattBW - Yes I am aware of this and I purposely bought the HP version because I cannot foresee ever using a gas bottle. But, I am having an issue and I'd like to know if anyone else is using the HP version and their experiences.

@theonecraw - I think this is it https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00481D8JM/?tag=eliteelect-21

I thought the HP and LP version would have at least different sized jets if not more parts in the burner department.
Has Swissians bbq got the wrong sized jets in hence the uncontrolability of the flame?

Has Swissians bbq got the wrong sized jets in hence the uncontrolability of the flame?
That's my thought too!
If I have got LP jets and/or valve, and I use it with a HP cartridge, then theoretically there would be far too much gas flowing, which seems to be my problem. That's why I am asking here if anyone else has this HP version BBQ and their experiences.

Swissian
This is the jet on my LP (uses the same Campingaz bottle as fitted in the Cali) Cadac Safari Chef, 3 years old, it's got 71 stamped on it. Have a look at yours.

20160712_193921_zpsfzgd5cvu.jpg

20160712_193912_zpsvf9eyixe.jpg

I have also made a wind shield about a 18 months which they have incorporated into the new version.

20160712_202621_zps33edyflp.jpg

I have also made a wind shield about a 18 months which they have incorporated into the new version.
That all looks quite different from the new version. The wind shield is great for the griddle and bbq plate but cannot be used with the pan support.

Thanks Snowy, but as DM said, that looks totally different to the new version.
Finally got in contact with Cadac today, after more than a week of trying, and hopefully they can help me determine if I have a defective model. In any case, I'm now thinking of getting the LP model and the regulator/tube kit. All very frustrating!