Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali 140PS Towing

helmguy

helmguy

VIP Member
Hi all,

Having recently sold a caravan due to lack of use we're now looking at trading in our car and getting a Cali to use as our main vehicle and for weekends away. I do a lot of scuba diving in the uk and often spend weekends at the coast.

I need the van to handle carrying diving gear which can weigh up to 100Kg or so as well as all the normal camping stuff. I also need to be able to tow a boat from time to time which weighs around 1.5ton.

We're thinking that the California Beach would probably suit us better than the SE for what we want it for. I'm assuming the 114PS might be too under-powered so was looking more at the 140PS. In an ideal world I'd probably by a 180PS 4MOTION but that is likely out of our price range.

Does anyone have any experience on towing with the 140PS. Will it be "man" enough for the job?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I have a 140PS and regularly tow a caravan. Slightly lighter than your boat but I have not experienced any problems.
There are times when I have to remind myself that it's on the hook.
I have seen several T5's towing caravans and one in particular was towing a twin axel far heavier than your boat and I don't think it was even a 140. I chatted with him and he said he had no problems at all.
I don't think you have a problem

You'll be fine. A 180 would pull better but weight wise your well within the recommended percentage. :thumb