Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali broken into whilst sleeping upstairs

Me too!

Can someone maybe paste the post onto here

I had read it but it looks like it has now been removed from the facebook page.

Have found it on another page:

After a burglary while we were sleeping in our campervan, a word of caution to other campers. The site we were on in the Die area of France was beautiful – huge private pitches, trees and fields all around yet not far from the road either. Sadly, all these qualities also make it perfect for thieves. As a matter of urgency, we'll be writing a whole article on how to stay safe and secure, so do stay tuned
Meanwhile, be vigilant. The thieves slashed a mosquito screen and then opened a window to get into our van. Opposite us, though, they burgled a couple as they slept in their caravan, opening every cupboard without waking them. If you have any alarms, lights, techniques and tactics you could share, please do. We can then incorporate them into an article that will be a permanent resource to help us enjoy our travels without fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call BS

She was going into the episode further on her web/blog.
You were getting redirected to that.

More than lightly click-bait.

i read it. what i believe happened is they slashed a hole in the mosquito net large enough to get there hand in and take items off the kitchen unit while they slept upstairs. i might be wrong but thats how i read it

I call BS

I do not know if it is BS or not, but there is a reason for security at campsites. Thieving from campers is not uncommon. There was a spate of thieves slashing open tents, grabbing trousers, then legging it in Spain. The reward for the thieves would be wallets bulging with holiday cash for a family.

I find it totally believable that a couple could be robbed of their valuables in their Cali while they sleep peacefully upstairs. For the thief there is little risk: sleepers wake up and the thieves peg along a predetermined escape route.

Well I would love to see someone open a window in a California, from the outside, and climb in without waking anyone inside, even if they were sleeping upstairs.:eek:

I call BS

For sure it could have happened and no doubt has to others in similar circumstances, but I agree on the "click-bait" suggestion too.

i read it. what i believe happened is they slashed a hole in the mosquito net large enough to get there hand in and take items off the kitchen unit while they slept upstairs. i might be wrong but thats how i read it
"The thieves slashed a mosquito screen and then opened a window to get into our van."
I read it as slashing the mosquito screen (sliding door side) then opened the door to access the van.

What I find interesting is how different people read the brief report differently. @WelshGas reads it as the alleged miscreants climbing in through the window.

What I do know is that we all need to consider theft as a real possibility when setting up camp, and do what we reasonably can do to protect ourselves.

I was staying on Norman's Bay campsite last weekend, a secure and busy campsite near Eastbourne. Overnight I took the simple precaution of slipping a long cable lock through all four bicycles as seen below.
IMG_2172.JPG

Opportunist thieves are everywhere. Sensible precautions and keeping valuables out of sight should be obvious. Fishermen often find cars broken into as they leave their vehicle unattended for some time and low life seem to think they have goodies inside. Seems to be sign of the times.

"The thieves slashed a mosquito screen and then opened a window to get into our van."
I read it as slashing the mosquito screen (sliding door side) then opened the door to access the van.

What I find interesting is how different people read the brief report differently. @WelshGas reads it as the alleged miscreants climbing in through the window.
Yes, it's unclear exactly how entry was made into the van but from my experience opening the sliding door is quite noisy when the assisted motor kicks in, my wife wakes me up every night when she "pays a visit". Re security, I might have to rethink about locking the van during the night, never bothered on a campsite before.

I regularly get updates from the web site mentioned. She is a forum member.
We found her reviews of different camp equipment very helpful.

Yes, if you can't bring valuable kit inside your van, you have to take sensible precautions like bringing it inside your awning at night and/or when you go out. However, if there are thieves about and you are their target then very often they will succeed. Who lies awake at night listening for the sound of canvas being sliced through? I certainly don't! Whilst I too find it difficult to understand how a thief could ransack a camper van without waking the occupants, I'm not prepared to dismiss it.
Unfortunately, the opportunist thief seems to be present almost everywhere these days. If your unlucky enough to be there at the same time then you will probably get turned over.
Some time ago we arrived at the Cat's Back car park in the Black Mountains intending to do a favourite walk of ours. The car park is remote and contained a single car. The owners had just returned from their walk to find every window in their car broken. What had the thieves stolen? .......One pair of old walking socks! That was all that they could find in the car so presumably decided to vent their frustration on the owners for being so tight with their free booty. We didn't do the walk and haven't been back since.

What I do know is that we all need to consider theft as a real possibility when setting up camp, and do what we reasonably can do to protect ourselves.

I was staying on Norman's Bay campsite last weekend, a secure and busy campsite near Eastbourne. Overnight I took the simple precaution of slipping a long cable lock through all four bicycles as seen below.
View attachment 37736
On the original FB post they included a picture of the slashed mosquito screen, the cut was only big enough for a hand to get through which helped to clarify what happened.

Last edited:
The shalt use these while camping and not that fabric mossie screen:
1_lueftungsgitter_t5.jpg

1_lueftungsgitter_t5.jpg
Yes, we use those excellent screens. Waterproof and pretty secure.

I keep a bucket of pee upstair now in case of gas attack. ( I believe Tommy's early in WW1 were told to pee on a rag and use to protect them from a gas attack). If that fails just pour it over the intruder.

Last edited:
I'm i missing things ...is it a California they had broken in to ?
Those things can happen everywhere any time on any campervan or car whatsoever even in your house ....unfortunatly

I keep a bucket of pee upstair now in case of gas attack. ( I believe Tommy's early in WW1 were told to pee on a rag and use to protect them from a gas attack). If that fails just pour it over the intruder.
I hope you've Scotchguarded downstairs. :thumb

1_lueftungsgitter_t5.jpg
I also got one of these as I didn't consider the VW supplied ones gave any security, especially on the sliding door as the internal handle is right where it can be accessed from outside. Door open - thing grabbed and gone before having time to react.
Could be jemmied of but a noisy prewarning process.
Only have one for kitchen window, door window shut at night or when not occupying.

Back