Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali doesn't start and responded

Cali-61-180-SE

Cali-61-180-SE

Hi need help as today all vw centre are closed because of new year.

I parked my cali on Tesco parking yesterday and when i came back its wont start even i can not disengaged DSG gear box Park to Neutral. key moving but noting happend. no sound at-all. (just relay clicking sound coming). dashboard error showing "Error: Stabilisation Control ESC" and three lights are showing (tyer pressure/ESC)

AA rescue came but its says its doesn't found any thing. even he unable to connect diagnostic to cali as well.
he suggest look like ECU problem or might be electrical. he suggest bring it to VW.

any one has similar problem any time and and solution?

Thanks
JK

IMG_0665.jpg

Check the battery voltage, there are reports on the web of people getting similar messages on other VAG vehicles when the battery has been disconnected for a while or something like electric heated seats are draining the battery completely. One report that to clear the ESC message the steering wheel needs to be turned fully to the left and then all the way to the right so that the ESC knows where straight ahead is. Do your one touch elec windows still work? Might be another indication that ECU has 'forgotten' some settings.
Good luck

I was also going to say flat battery, however it would help if you vehicle details were in your profile so we had a better idea how old etc?

first thing is I don't know much about the dsg cali but I drive an auto car and that will not move from the park position without the engine running. The clicking noise is a classic symptom of a flat battery. I have read somewhere that vw fit batteries that if they drop below 80% charge it destroys the ability of the battery to recharge. Whether that is correct I do not know. But if the cali is under warranty they should replace it as I also read that they have being doing that.

Hi i replaced the battery last month only its brand new and voltage also as expected (full 12v AA Engineer checked). like all lights and electric windows and side door working fine.

Today Update:
i was trying to start since last night but its was not start then suddenly this afternoon i tried again and its work and started. i bring its to my home (little relief) then i tried couples of time and its start all the time.

But suddenly same problem appear again and now its doesn't work :-(

i think something going badly wrong in it.

Thanks for reply all of you.

Same issue with both keys? The symptoms if not the message sounds almost like an immobiliser fault. There are a couple of slave control modules in addition to the main ecu. One of which is under the dashboard around the drivers footwell area, any sign of a leak here? Or under the drivers / passengers seats where there are other control modules.
Strange that the AA couldn't connect diagnostics. Did they plug in and it wouldn't read or not have the correct plug/reader. The port for the diagnostic is also drivers footwell area which may or may not be a clue.

the cali wont start if it thinks it in gear .The gear selector could have a micro switch position issue try moving the gear selector to see if it makes a difference. I have had this problem and had the gear selector serviced and the problem was cured.

Yes, Same issue with both keys.
i also push firmly brakes but its not started. even brake lights also not working.

its now hand of VW dealer let see whats come up.
i will update accordingly.

If the brake lights aren't working its probably the switch for the light that is broken and preventing starting. Hopefully a quick fix.

:mad:Sounds horrendous not being able to disengage Park!!
So it’s stuck there???
All these new electronic things are great until they go wrong hey.
How did you recover it or you still stuck At Tesco. :(

The brake light switch is fed by a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Easy to check those.. but it does sound like the brake light switch is faulty.

Do check the battery connectors. Are they really tight? You wouldn’t be the first with intermittent spooky electronic behaviour because of a not really tight battery contact: then connected/OK, then too loose/not OK.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Update:

I got call this morning from VW and he said after diagnostic says Electric fault. and they need to excess sone kind of electric module behind the front (Not sure) and for that charging £550 (only excessing).

its too much as my cali 5 years old and its developed big electric problem. i call to VW customer care and they said as your vehicle 5 years old so they cant do any thing.

i will update soon more progress

Where abouts are you? I wonder if anyone else can read the errors codes for you to confirm if thats true or not... sounds very expensive and I am naturally distrusting I guess. :(

i based in London (Pinner - HA5) and my cali at Cordwallis Heathrow branch.

i am not sure its right or wrong but total bill was £594 but parts cost £16.24 rest of fixing charges.

IMG_0691.jpg

Ouch!

Sounds like you manage to diagnose it yourself in the original post though, 'relay clicking sound'!

To be fair, the tech also had to find and repair a faulty joint as well.

I'd be interested to see the "faulty node Joint" that was repaired. Call me cynical but its an amazing coincidence that a node joint whatever that may be, would fail at exactly the same time as a relay.

Still it seems to justify 5 hours labour, whereas replace one number relay as suggested by the customer doesn't.

Painful bill especially with £99 tax bill on top.
Can't see how a hard fault such as this took over 5 hours to fix. Probably did all the usual plug in testing and got no info and was totally baffled as to how to use hands and brain independently.

With labour + £104.30 an hour incl VAT it makes after market or extended warranties seem pretty viable and essential.

Part number shows as a fuel pump relay. Probably an easy & quick replacement. Suspect the 5 hrs was tracing through the wiring loom trying to find the reason why the relay burnt out, and finding repairing and then re-taping this faultly node joint.

Back