Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali height opinions please.

Mrstu2u

Mrstu2u

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
While I await the delivery of my Cali next year, I am trying to figure out the final details on how I want it to work for me.
I didn't want to go lower as it's 4motion and Ideally I was going to go for a Seikel lift kit and all terrain tyres, the big problem I can see with this setup is putting the Cali over 2 meters in height, is this going to be a total pain ? or is the standard height so marginal you wouldn't be risking it in a carpark anyway ? what haven't I thought of ? why is keeping under 2 meters in height a really good idea ? thanks in advance

While I await the delivery of my Cali next year, I am trying to figure out the final details on how I want it to work for me.
I didn't want to go lower as it's 4motion and Ideally I was going to go for a Seikel lift kit and all terrain tyres, the big problem I can see with this setup is putting the Cali over 2 meters in height, is this going to be a total pain ? or is the standard height so marginal you wouldn't be risking it in a carpark anyway ? what haven't I thought of ? why is keeping under 2 meters in height a really good idea ? thanks in advance
It sounds like you’re going to have quite an adventure vehicle! You’re probably talking about an increase in height of less than 0.05-0.1m, with the mods you’re considering. While you’re waiting, keep your eyes open to all of the places you’re likely to take your Camper van in your local area. If there are any height redtirictions, look for alternative parking near by, if this becomes challenging, then you might want to stick with the standard ride height and some AT tyres that don’t increase the rolling radius. It will still go anywhere you’re likely to want to take it. If you find you will want to be below 2m occasionally, you could consider air suspension rather than a Seikel lift. There are a few threads on here discussing air suspension. It’s considerably more expensive, so do check whether it’s necessary first.

I have the Seikel lift kit and the height is now 2050mm good for most height barriers.
Loz I believe I've seen your van whilst looking through the posts on my searches, I thought you were lowered with grabber at3 and holeshot wheels?

You can severely limit parking by going over 2 metres. Also on the continent you can’t use the 2 m Toll Lane on the motorway equivalents.

It sounds like you’re going to have quite an adventure vehicle! You’re probably talking about an increase in height of less than 0.05-0.1m, with the mods you’re considering. While you’re waiting, keep your eyes open to all of the places you’re likely to take your Camper van in your local area. If there are any height redtirictions, look for alternative parking near by, if this becomes challenging, then you might want to stick with the standard ride height and some AT tyres that don’t increase the rolling radius. It will still go anywhere you’re likely to want to take it. If you find you will want to be below 2m occasionally, you could consider air suspension rather than a Seikel lift. There are a few threads on here discussing air suspension. It’s considerably more expensive, so do check whether it’s necessary first.
Many thanks I have kind of been doing this but I will make a note of all the local height restrictions, what about travel in the EU when that is possible, anything to be considered there ? I've not driven anything other than a car abroad so would probably have missed any likely problems.

Thanks

You can severely limit parking by going over 2 metres. Also on the continent you can’t use the 2 m Toll Lane on the motorway equivalents.
Thanks WelshGas, what's the alternative to the 2m toll lane ? more HGV traffic I assume ?

Loz I believe I've seen your van whilst looking through the posts on my searches, I thought you were lowered with grabber at3 and holeshot wheels?
No that's not you sorry, love your van also and it looks like you have gone done the road I'm looking of going down, feel free to send me pictures of your van LOZ it looks fantastic !

Thanks WelshGas, what's the alternative to the 2m toll lane ? more HGV traffic I assume ?
If you have a Tag for the French toll roads then you can use the No Stop Toll lane but not if over 2 m.

Good morning,

Even with the "normal" height of the California I am nervous to go into a 2m car park!

This kind of approach causing me some problems because the camper is my daily drive.

Multi story car park
I always look for car parks at least for 2.1m.
  • In Dublin Airport there is at least one multi story car park with 2.1m :)
  • Hospital car parks are always very narrow and low. This can cause me problems. :(

POI car parks
It seems to me that in more and more beauty spots there are more and more barriers with 2m or even 1,9m restrictions. Even with the 2m restrictions the barrier sometimes "bend down in the middle" :confused:

Beside this, I have no issues with the height of the camper. In my area I can check and look for places suitable to park the camper.

But out and about on day trips or holidays it might be a problem. 2 years ago we went to Belfast and chose a car park that supposed to be 2.1m high (according to Parkopedia). But when we arrived at that multi story car park it was 1.95m :confused: . Of course the signs where just at the entry, not on the way in. Also there is a multi story car park in Dublin which is 2.1 but inside there is a section of less than 1.9m. I only saw the signs when I was walking inside. They are difficult to spot driving. :oops:

Happy California,
Eberhard

Im with Welsh Gas on this - on the continent it is v important to stay low if you want to get into the best sneaky spots - there is lots of restrictions to stop motorhome parking but we can sneak into any beach car park

You've got a lot of inputs on the benefits of keeping it below 2 m. There is more benefit (peace of mind) in going to approx 1.8 so that you do not have to "worry" about - is the bar really at 2m as advertised?

Have you considered VB Air suspension. IMHO, the best of all worlds?

Is your objective
- looks - then nothing like BFG ATs and the Seikel lift kit. over 2m though
- Off-roading - understand the capabilities of the van. It is not a land rover. The Seikel kit will give it better off-roading abilities, but then you should also look at the higher breathers and bash plates etc... but still over 2m
- Better handling - Seikel - but over 2m
- All of the above - VB Air. Raise it, lower it, better handling, increased payload as well as auto levelling. :thumb

You've got a lot of inputs on the benefits of keeping it below 2 m. There is more benefit (peace of mind) in going to approx 1.8 so that you do not have to "worry" about - is the bar really at 2m as advertised?

Is your objective
- Off-roading - understand the capabilities of the van. It is not a land rover. The Seikel kit will give it better off-roading abilities, but then you should also look at the higher breathers and bash plates etc... but still over 2m
- All of the above - VB Air. Raise it, lower it, better handling, increased payload as well as auto levelling. :thumb
You make a compelling argument.

One of the factors sited by many is the 2m toll lanes.

I’ve not used these. What is the speed through them? (Anyone) And what is the maximum speed while in low setting on the VB setup please? (@kurienp)

I’ve not used these. What is the speed through them? (Anyone) And what is the maximum speed while in low setting on the VB setup please? (@kurienp)
30 km/hr and fingers crossed that the barrier opens.

Most of the toll plazas have 30kph lorry lanes and I've been through many at 30-40mph and the barrier is always up before I get there.

There are two low settings - one is the low/sports mode and the other what I call the super low crawl mode.

Sport mode is usually for highway cruising and reduces the height to about 1.9. No speed limit there. This is the mode that I use when on motorways and through the French and Spanish tolls and never had any issues with height. Your speed has to be at about 30 kmph, with, as WG says, your fingers crossed.

The super low crawl mode reduces height to circa 1.8 and in that the speed limit is ~15mph. Need that only when you have to get into a parking that has a 2m height limit and you want to be extra careful.

PS: all height referenced is relative to how your van is setup. VB advertise the different heights as +/- from the standard/recommended VW height.

Another advantage with VB is that it keeps the suspension setup at the same parameters - camber/toe etc as recommended by VW and hence there is no extra stress on the components and therefore no premature wear and tear ... which I suspect a Seikel raised suspension may have. Seikel does have its benefits though.

As mentioned earlier ... depends on what you want.

Yes I wouldn’t do that unless I had a big reason. Car parks and French tolls with the Tag etc. I’d stick below 2m.
But then I wouldn’t lower either.
I’m an originalist.

Bilstein Air has no speed restrictions at any height, doesn't go as high as VB but manual levelling is much faster than VB as are height changes. VB tends to be the cheapest available.

My experience - my Ocean is 2.01 m empty less when loaded. I have damaged the roof in French 2.0 m car park have had no trouble with under 2m toll booths (the 2m restriction is usually about the height of the ticket/card machine). Most 2m restrictions on outside carparks (i.e. where there is a metal arch or dazzle board hanging) can be negotiated with care and partner outside checking or pushing up with a broom.

So my rule is if it says under 2m and is a concrete roof (especially in France) don't go there. If it is just a metal arch or dazzle board you will probably get away with it (with care!).

My experience - my Ocean is 2.01 m empty less when loaded. I have damaged the roof in French 2.0 m car park have had no trouble with under 2m toll booths (the 2m restriction is usually about the height of the ticket/card machine). Most 2m restrictions on outside carparks (i.e. where there is a metal arch or dazzle board hanging) can be negotiated with care and partner outside checking or pushing up with a broom.

So my rule is if it says under 2m and is a concrete roof (especially in France) don't go there. If it is just a metal arch or dazzle board you will probably get away with it (with care!).
My Cali is less than 2m, when i use a carpark with a shield saying -max 2m,
i believe that is what it is so i can fit in.
Any damage to the roof would upset me and i'd be claiming from the
geezer who owns the car park.

In germany this would be a logical way, as you can't say its 2m but in
some areas its 1.8m so be a bit careful.
Unless its a proper highlighted area where the bins are kept.

You also can’t do the A86 Paris peripheral tunnel if over 2m.

Is your objective

So I have had a transporter T4 Syncro with lifted suspension and a T5 with lifted suspension both of which I used for work purposes, I understand the capabilities of the van and to be honest those capabilities would go well beyond where I would be prepared to drive £70k's worth of Cali !

Whilst I do like rugged look, it's more the practical rough roads and any weather side of things I'm looking at.
I know I could achieve this changing the tyres on the standard alloys but again looks wise those wheels just don't do it for me, I know I would regret the limitations of B14 and 20's as much as I like that look as well.

VB is the answer, I have looked at it but to be honest I didn't really want to mess with the van that much or ideally spend that amount of money on suspension.

Thanks for your input everybody.

Back