Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Lessons Identified (Not learned) 1 of 2

M

MarkG

Dreamweaver
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
So after over two years trolling this awesome club website and recently back from our second 4 week long tour of Europe, thought I would share some lessons with you, rather than holiday phots. She is ‘Dreamweaver’ a 2015 T5.1 180 DSG 4Motion SE with nearly all of the trimmings, except for Lane Assistance and Internet. We are two adults and a 6 year old. This will be a long post in no particular order and with multiple threads. Apologies for that, no phots, but I will try to respond to questions.
  1. When lowering the roof, make sure that the bed is lowered first! If you start to lower the roof and then lower the bed when partway down, you can accidentally reverse the direction of the folding battens pulling the canvas away from the mechanism. Resulting in squashed battens and buckled roof, plus damaged canvas. This will mainly pop back into place when you realise your mistake, but the roof may remain with small creases. Plus of course recriminations from your partner.
  2. Tailgate chair container zip should be closed when seats are in or out! If you close the tailgate with the flap hanging you damage the zip backing. Stitching repair required!
  3. Print off a Fuze location plan and carry spare fuzes. The manual is hopeless in this regard.
  4. The rear seat buffers have a habit of coming away with constant use. I hold ours in place using electrical tape with multiple wraps. They then do their job and stay in place.
  5. A bonnet bra provides great protection for the bonnet, from stone chips, as well as making it easier to remove dead insects.
  6. We use a 100w bolt on solar panel and it is awesome. No need for mains power as long as you are not staying in one place for more than 4-5 days. The small one only watches DVDs when on the move.
  7. Seat covers are essential. Especially if you have small people or dogs onboard. The more you pay the better the quality/fit.
  8. If you are not worried about IPR, try making your own versions of expensive ‘extras’ such as passenger door side table or mossie netting (lots of trial and error and magnets).
  9. If you are moving frequently, every 2-3 days do not buy an expensive, space consuming, drive away awning. We made ripstop nylon roll out awning extenders, with guy lines on the corners. The main extension has a kandar strip along one side which slides into the end of the main awning bar, between the legs! Cheap/er and effective. Phots on request.
  10. Do not buy expensive LED kits for external lighting. Buy a £20 LED kit from B&M or similar. Fit the self adhesive strip onto the edge of the awning rail (next to the kandar rail slot) and wrap the wire around the awning support. Plug the lights into the rear storage space 12v socket. You now have disco lighting with a remote control! Yes it is simpler to use the awning cassette case attached to the van – but if you put the lights here, remember, light attracts insects at night! You will need to make sure that the door is closed or the mossie nets are fitted. The external awning rail position works much better and the lights reflect off the shiny van! Phots on request.

Great post thanks. Photos of the external light set up would be appreciated please.

Like it- please can you share more info on your solar panel and connection ? Thank you!!

Hi
Im interested in a solar panel as travelling full time.

Which brand do you use/price?

thanks,

Thanks for sharing all this. I am interested in pics of your rollout awning extenders.
Thanks

I have one of Roger’s. Brilliant. I never worry about fridge, lowering roof or indeed anything leisure battery anymore. We don’t use sites so it’s very useful.

I have one of Roger’s. Brilliant. I never worry about fridge, lowering roof or indeed anything leisure battery anymore. We don’t use sites so it’s very useful.
Hi, one or two panels? Beach or Ocean (one LB or two)?

I have the latest 120W panel and with the weather we've had this summer we have never needed hook up - batteries never fail to go into Float. This is with the fridge set at 4, nightly use of a CPAP machine 7 to 8 hours a night and use of a small projector for a couple of hours most evenings. I am very impressed with this set up. PCs, Phones and tablets are charged as and when too.

I have the latest 120W panel and with the weather we've had this summer we have never needed hook up - batteries never fail to go into Float. This is with the fridge set at 4, nightly use of a CPAP machine 7 to 8 hours a night and use of a small projector for a couple of hours most evenings. I am very impressed with this set up. PCs, Phones and tablets are charged as and when too.

Hi Nigel,
Can you send me a link to where I can buy this gear? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk