Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Lessons Identified (Not learned) 2 of 2

M

MarkG

Dreamweaver
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
  1. Buy both long and short (stubby) wheel chocks. You can use the small chocks to lock the wheels in place, enabling you to release the handbrake and swivel the drivers seat, without the van rolling off the long chocks. Yes I know that is what they are for!
  2. Do not buy expensive VW Bike Rack fitting body protection pads. Buy a roll of thick transparent tape from a DIY store and cut to size.
  3. Cooking outside. We rarely cook inside in the summer. We use a cheap (£30) double gas cooker with a grill and a spare CampingGaz 907 cylinder. Cheaper than a single CADAC BBQ and twice as effective. We also use a quick release connector in the gas pipe. Safe and no need to disconnect heavy nuts each time you pack up.
  4. Additional fold up table. Used for cooking. Alloy table is useful for hot pots not burning the table top!
  5. Double skillet. Google it! We use a small 20cm double skillet for baking, cooking and frying. We make bread and cakes etc all the time. Sorry, my wife bakes all the time, I watch!
  6. The Perspex headlight protectors are expensive, but worth it. They protect the glass and enable you to add and remove the beam adjusters easily, using the template lines on the protectors.
  7. Hanging circular shower curtain. Used for hanging from the tailgate. Usually when the toilet is required in a public place. Also used for showering! Rarely used but worth having. Extra shower (never used) purchased with folding bucket so that the shower water can be heated before use.
  8. PortaPotti. Stored in the back and rarely used (apart from at night, when it is in the front) but worth its weight in gold. Try to ban the family from using it for No 2s unless it’s an emergency! They don’t have to clean it….
  9. CampingGas 907 Cylinders. Ridiculously expensive in comparison to other gas providers, but we are stuck with them. They are 5-6 euros cheaper (currently!) on the continent. Know your campingaz weights, then you know how much gas you have. Carry a small set of scales. Weights are approximate:
    Total weight 6.4kg
    Tare (Empty) weight 3.7kg
    Gas weight 2.7kg
    ¾ weight 5.7kg
    ½ weight 5.0kg
    ¼ weight 4.4kg

1. Buy both long and short (stubby) wheel chocks. You can use the small chocks to lock the wheels in place, enabling you to release the handbrake and swivel the drivers seat, without the van rolling off the long chocks. Yes I know that is what they are for!
  2. Do not buy expensive VW Bike Rack fitting body protection pads. Buy a roll of thick transparent tape from a DIY store and cut to size.
  3. Cooking outside. We rarely cook inside in the summer. We use a cheap (£30) double gas cooker with a grill and a spare CampingGaz 907 cylinder. Cheaper than a single CADAC BBQ and twice as effective. We also use a quick release connector in the gas pipe. Safe and no need to disconnect heavy nuts each time you pack up.
  4. Additional fold up table. Used for cooking. Alloy table is useful for hot pots not burning the table top!
  5. Double skillet. Google it! We use a small 20cm double skillet for baking, cooking and frying. We make bread and cakes etc all the time. Sorry, my wife bakes all the time, I watch!
  6. The Perspex headlight protectors are expensive, but worth it. They protect the glass and enable you to add and remove the beam adjusters easily, using the template lines on the protectors.
  7. Hanging circular shower curtain. Used for hanging from the tailgate. Usually when the toilet is required in a public place. Also used for showering! Rarely used but worth having. Extra shower (never used) purchased with folding bucket so that the shower water can be heated before use.
  8. PortaPotti. Stored in the back and rarely used (apart from at night, when it is in the front) but worth its weight in gold. Try to ban the family from using it for No 2s unless it’s an emergency! They don’t have to clean it….
  9. CampingGas 907 Cylinders. Ridiculously expensive in comparison to other gas providers, but we are stuck with them. They are 5-6 euros cheaper (currently!) on the continent. Know your campingaz weights, then you know how much gas you have. Carry a small set of scales. Weights are approximate:
    Total weight 6.4kg
    Gas weight 2.7kg
    ¾ weight 5.7kg
    ½ weight 5.0kg
    ¼ weight 4.4kg
Small inflatable paddling pool for the shower.

Very helpful MarkG, where did you get your hanging circular shower curtain for hanging from the tailgate, does it come with a metal/plastic ring and shower curtain hooks?

Total weight 6.4kg
    Gas weight 2.7kg
    ¾ weight 5.7kg
    ½ weight 5.0kg
    ¼ weight 4.4kg
hi. Thanks for this. Which porta potti do you have that fits in the van at night - do you mean with the bench bed in use? I cant find one that fits there.

Porta Potti 335 fits in the back of the van, and in the front between the extended downstairs bed and the passenger seat at night.

Shower curtain.? Porta potty? Sticky tape? Extra table when I have 2 already. You can just use a tiny pot stand.? Headlight protectors? This is the worst tips list I've ever seen. No thanks.

Total weight 6.4kg
    Gas weight 2.7kg
    ¾ weight 5.7kg
    ½ weight 5.0kg
    ¼ weight 4.4kg
You don't need to know weights. Just pour hot water down the side of the cylinder and the change in temperature is your level :)

Very helpful MarkG, where did you get your hanging circular shower curtain for hanging from the tailgate, does it come with a metal/plastic ring and shower curtain hooks?
Bought it second hand from the Club adverts. Yes it came with everything except a shower tray/paddling pool! Never actually used it for showering, as yet.

You don't need to know weights. Just pour hot water down the side of the cylinder and the change in temperature is your level :)
How does that work?