Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali - new family member

M

michal

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Dear Cali family
My long time dream is here, after 17 years camping in tent in many contries, my life is changed- new baby CALI was born in Slovakia, Banska Bystrica.
after 1 month we did 3 winter trips to discover winter way of life. we like to ski, we like to discover cities, see new places. i can not accept life is stopped in winter.
first trip was winter camping vila Betula close to liptovsky Mikulas in -10, i was affraid of external heater, ventilation, but with little open front window it was perfect, heater only on 1 all the night, very pleasant temperature, almost hot.
then visited and slept in Zakopane Poland in -8 and snowing, my wife was really happy and pretty excited with comfort during night sleep.
then i was dreaming to survive in -20 in mountains, so when forecasted, I took my son and driving to the High Tatras to test my cali.all correctly prepared, pillows, sleeping back, backup scenario in case of need ad was affraid a litte, as -20 is really hard.
i hooked up, put webasto on only 1 and left running during dinner during -15, after dinner 21 degrees inside, fine temperature. outside -20 at the morning, we slept like the babies, inside was 21 all the time. no additional isolation put on windows, only included rollets.
so if anybody affraid your cali is not able to heat enough, dont affraid!!! in -20 heater kept only on 1 level out of 10. really amazing performance of webasto. so i suggest dont put heater higher than 1, not needed at all.
now my cali can take me even to siberia, to ski anywhere in any weather, can sleep anywhere anytime.
this is what many cali users are affraid of cold weather, believe cali is really amazing house, comfortable in any conditions.
my next plan is to see winter trip with open roof isolation to be able to take also both children on ski trip and discover and enjoy more ski resorts inAustria, Switzerland and Italy.
new experience will be shared
Michal

HI Michal,
Sounds like you had fun, I prefer colder than warmer climes but I'd need a bit more courage for -20C :shocked

:welcome

...message ends ...

Help and welcome. Any pictures of your new Cali?

Welcome Michal. Look forward to some pictures from you and your Cali in different climes :thumb

Welcome , very brave camping in those freezing cold themps.

Welcome!

Wow -20 degrees. Would never have contemplated using a Cali at that temperature before reading you post..

Welcome, we do some skiing with our van, never been to -20 yet! Did you have any issues with the water tank or pipes? We found we had to leave cupboard doors open to allow some heat from the van to get to the pipes at the bank of the cupboard. I think some just use containers.

hello, i didnt put water, i didnt cook inside. use the water during such a cold is risky as tubes and tanks are not heated. maybe if you heat 24 hours would be ok but if not could be frozen.

Thanks, probably safer in those temperatures, we cook inside and keep water in the tank but only down to -5 to -10. In these cold conditions we try to get a hook up so we can keep an electric heater on low when we are out skiing.