Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali roof topper cover necessary and does it have to be removed daily?

Izzi

Izzi

Carpe diem
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi
I read somewhere that you should use a roof topper cover. Does it have to go on when you park or can it stay on over the space of a week or two. Also I am quite a small build, 5'4" (1.62m) tall, and wonder how easy or difficult it would be for me to fit it on my own?

A topper can stay on for as long as you like, while you're staying in one place. If you want to close the roof and drive away, it has to come off.

How easy it is to fit on depends a bit on the type and make.

A whole cover, closed on top, is relatively easy: you open the roof just a tiny bit, you drape the topper on from front to back, and then you open the roof completely, thus raising the topper with it, and you fasten the fastenings (also different for different make of toppers).

An open topper (without roof, for use with solar panels or luggage boxes etc. on the roof) is somewhat more tricky, depending on the make. But basically the same procedure: you open the roof a little, you walk around the roof with the topper, draping it on, close it at the back, and you raise the roof with the topper on and then fasten it.
We find the german topper, where you set little pins in the roof rail (and leave them there) over which you put the ringed holes in the topper's top seam, a little easier than the Comfortz system, where you can't really attach the topper to the sides while you walk around, there is just a velcro fastening at the back - it tends to slide off or is too large a piece of cloth to handle when in high winds, etc.

With a littlebit of practice all very doable!

Do you really need a topper? Is one necessary? No, many do without. If you're just using your Cali in the Italian summer, why would you want one? We are often out in not so good weather, and then we really like it. Especially in winter it is a good isolation, very comfy with the heater on, it keeps the bellows dry and clean, no snow drifts in the sheering mechanism of your roof, etc.

Last edited:
A topper can stay on for as long as you like, while you're staying in one place. If you want to close the roof and drive away, it has to come off.

How easy it is to fit on depends a bit on the type and make.

A whole cover, closed on top, is relatively easy: you open the roof just a tiny bit, you drape the topper on from front to back, and then you open the roof completely, thus raising the topper with it, and you fasten the fastenings (also different for different make of toppers).

An open topper (without roof, for use with solar panels or luggage boxes etc. on the roof) is somewhat more tricky, depending on the make. But basically the same procedure: you open the roof a little, you walk around the roof with the topper, draping it on, close it at the back, and you raise the roof with the topper on and then fasten it.
We find the german topper, where you set little pins in the roof rail (and leave them there) over which you put the ringed holes in the topper's top seam, a little easier than the Comfortz system, where you can't really attach the topper to the sides while you walk around, there is just a velcro fastening at the back - it tends to slide off or is too large a piece of cloth to handle when in high winds, etc.

With a littlebit of practice all very doable!

Do you really need a topper? Is one necessary? No, many do without. If you're just using your Cali in the Italian summer, why would you want one? We are often out in not so good weather, and then we really like it. Especially in winter it is a good isolation, very comfy with the heater on, it keeps the bellows dry and clean, no snow drifts in the sheering mechanism of your roof, etc.
Hi Bart and Marga This is very helpful, thank you. I am planning on travelling in the colder (and wetter) months to Scotland and Europe. I have read somewhere that the roof canvas can get very wet and leak. Can you tell me the make of the German topper you refer to? As far as I am concerned the easier and more weather proof the better.

Can you tell me the make of the German topper you refer to?
You can get it in the shop of the german Cali-club, the sister org of this club here. Also, their cloth seems to be a more advanced cloth, with less inside condensation as the Comfortz' topper we have.

cc_600x600.jpg

We can recommend the Comfortz topper sold on the forum, not had any issues with it and certainly makes it cosier inside.

thats the youtube video of how to fit .
We have one and I'm 5' 4 too .I can just about reach the front end to drape it over but find it easier if I open the door and use the step to give me added inches.
We use all the time if going for single nights away as have nowhere at home to dry canvas out if closed wet when we leave site (and tend to do single nights in winter so added insulation is nice too) .
Just came back from a week in Scotland ,with lots of torrential rain but wasnt too cool so didnt use topper all week (the last night was dry :) ) Canvas dried out quickly each day and we didnt notice any "wicking" of water into the interior .

Hi Folks just to answer a couple of questions - the fabric on the Cali-Topper is 500 denier polyester - so waterproof but not breathable as such. However the cover does not form a tight seal to the van - purposely - so you get some ventilation under the bottom of it - helped by the breeze moving the topper slightly. Anyone who knows me personally knows I use the Cali in anger all year round and the only time I've ever had any condensation on the topper is on the windows and in freezing conditions. Once the sun rises it disappears and its no where near as much as - lets say - the windscreen condensation in the same conditions - hope this helps and if anyone has any questions drop us a call 01246 825541 - I'm more than happy to have a chat :thumb

We've just got back from our first trip with our roofless topper. We didn't use it the first night (long story!) & noticed a massive difference in the sleeping conditions up top on the second night when we did use it.
We've got the one sold on this website (Comfortz or something like that!) & if you're looking to use your Cali into the colder months I would definitely recommend it.
It's a bit fiddly the first time you put it on but very easy on subsequent occasions. We've not quite mastered the roof strap/bungee cords & are going to buy some additional ones to make it easier.
If you're short then stand on the tyres to help put it on!
The topper & the windscreen shield have been some of our best buys.

We have the Cali-cap topper, and it does make a difference for cold or windy weather camping. I don't know if I could put it on by myself but with two people it's easy (with a stool to stand on, or you can climb on the wheels). Funnily enough it's easier in a high wind - you can just lift it up into the air and it floats over the roof! Don't let go though.