Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
With or without windows?
Why?

We stayed at Crystal Palace caravan club site this week for 4 nights, and didn't move the van at all. For practical purposes, we left the topper and the silver screen on and the rear blind pulled down for the duration. It was good in the morning though to let light in through the upper windows. That wouldn't have been possible with a windowless topper. Just a thought.

Personally, I prefer the windowed version too. We went for the black topper and the windows do let in a bit more light. You can also see outside without bending down.
Our van, being pre-facelift, only has two windows and recently cost £250 (with VIP discount) from Nick at Comfortz. I think the non windowed version was about £170 at COTF last year? IMO it's well worth paying the extra for resale value alone if you ever need to sell it.

We also went for the window version and it is excellent. In fine weather you won't appreciate it as much as in rainy weather. Then it lets the light in still, but keeps the rain out. I hadn't considered that when I bought it with the windows, but I'm very glad I did now.

On a different, but related theme, since buying the topper we have had a solar panel fitted to the Bristol Belle. I didn't think about the problem of the topper covering the panel until we got to the May meet at the Lower Lode. I was talking about the subject with others, Briwy being a member who had already solved it. Nick from Comfortz proposed putting a window in the Topper over where the solar panel is. Briwy had found that this worked well so I discussed it with Nick. He took the topper with him from the June meet, I had marked out the position of the panel. It came back yesterday and we have just put it on the Belle.
The solar panel is still putting power into the Leisure batteries with the cover in place so we can keep the rain out, the top bed a little warmer and still get the benefit of the power from the solar panel. It's a superb job Nick, looks as though it has always been there.
Many thanks to Briwy and others for the idea & Nick for carrying it out.

With or without windows?
Why?

To look outside while in the top bunk ....seems obvious no?
Or don't you got side windows in your pop-top?

You can even order a topper with the front window in if you got thatone.

Is this more of an issue for T6 owners wanting a topper to block out light through the T6's almost translucent 'canvas'? Having a topper with Windows may defeat this plan despite seeming the obvious choice otherwise.

I recently bought the windowed topper and on balance am glad I did. Just returned from Snowdonia where it was wet and grey so the ability to let in some light was appreciated. The most light in the morning is through the VW screen and door curtains which could do with being made of blackout material.

I recently bought the windowed topper and on balance am glad I did. Just returned from Snowdonia where it was wet and grey so the ability to let in some light was appreciated. The most light in the morning is through the VW screen and door curtains which could do with being made of blackout material.

I spend a lot of time in Snowdonia myself, when it is wet and grey up there, it really is. The roof windows really help to bring light in, but without the rain.
We find the silver screen a very good way of keeping the van darker and as a bonus it traps warmth in during the winter & reflects sun off during the summer.

When I put the original post on, I knew that a topper with windows was the way forward, mainly for reasons of light and thats what I purchased. The requirment for light trumped any reason for not having windows.
I was just curious to see what others thought.

Last edited:
Didn't use it even once yet, no matter we camped a lot :)
Might as well just sell it.
We've carried it several times and didn't feel a need to put it on. Most our stops are 1-2 days and we slept fine in -15-20'c in a tent with heating.
When it is pouring we simply don't feel like trying to put it on under the heavy rain.

Didn't use it even once yet, no matter we camped a lot :)
Might as well just sell it.
We've carried it several times and didn't feel a need to put it on. Most our stops are 1-2 days and we slept fine in -15-20'c in a tent with heating.
When it is pouring we simply don't feel like trying to put it on under the heavy rain.
But Quality seems ok, and like you say the price is good, especially for something that might not get much use!

I don't use mine much in the summer, but in the winter I now use it quite a lot. Mainly for keeping rain off the bellows. I live in a narrow street and to put the roof up to dry it off is a bit conspicuous.
It does keep it warmer upstairs too. I have got it down to a reasonable job on my own, but much easier with two. I think it was well under 10 minutes at Dorset and that includes sliding the clips into the rail to put the securing bungees on to. A lot of that is down to how you fold it and offer it up to the roof when you put it on. Looking at the photos, a lot of people had them on there especially Saturday night when the snow came.