Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali vs. the Mercedes Marco Polo – a subjective comparison - (long post)

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Call me thorough, but before deciding on a campervan, we have now rented both a Cali and a Mercedes Marco Polo for a week, and have driven around 1200 Km in each. Here are some subjective observations that both my wife and I have made.

Driving

The Cali and the MP are both quality vehicles. The MP has a more car-like driving feel and seems definitely quieter. The VW has a higher and more forward driving position, giving a better view, but also making it less comfortable on rough roads. Both handle pretty well and while cruising on an autoroute both are very comfortable.

Both the VW and the MP were the lower spec engines with automatic transmission, and I found both the 110 Kw VW and the MP 220d to be powerful enough for me. The MP gearbox seems smoother and gives options for Eco or Sporty driving modes, and even has paddle shifters which I did not use.

Of major note is that the Cali is front wheel drive, while the MP is rear wheel drive. In general driving in wet or dry I found them both good, but I live in a snowy area near the mountains, so while I might be able to get away with a FWD Cali, I would definitely need a 4WD MP. Personally I would go for 4WD in either.

The dash and controls are clear on both, but I personally liked the controls on the MP better. The cruise control is a small lever on the left, vs. buttons on the steering wheel, and I found that easier to use without looking down. The MP shift is also on the steering column. The Cali we rented had adaptive cruise control, which I really like and would get on a Cali.

For the electronics, the VW GPS is better than the Garmin on the MP which has a clunky interface and no touch screen, but I found that neither is as good as a basic TomTom, which I reverted to on a few occasions.

I found that the sound quality of the radio is equally bad in both vehicles, but that may be a result of the open space in the van.

It was hard to compare the air conditioning as the MP I had was manual (not recommended) and the Cali was fully automatic. The VW does have larger air vents and seems to get more air through.

We did not fully test all of the parking and front and rear sensors, but the MP has a nice front side sensor which is useful at toll booths as it helps you get close but not scrape the wheel on the curb.

Camping features:

It is clear at first glance that the interior finish of the MP is much fancier than the plain jane Cali interior. Kind of like an upgrade to a nice Business Class airline seat.

The Cali floor is much simpler, but the seat rails are sealed better and easier to clean. The teak effect floor in the MP is nice (did I hear rumour that the 2018 Cali has the same?) In any case, I think a carpet is a most useful addition, so you would not see it much anyway.

I found the seat cloth colour in the Cali to be very impractical, and it seems to stain by just looking at it. The basic black cloth in the MP is more practical, and also seems more resistant.

Cupboards in the Cali are more practical and larger. I was a bit surprised that the sliders are not smoother though. The MP cupboards have a nicer feel and better locks. The Cali double glove box is much handier, and the lack of a cup holder in the front of the MP is a bad oversight. Brandrup or somebody else probably makes a solution though. Generally, the Cali seems to have more nooks and crannies to stick things, like even behind the table in the sliding door...

The cupboards and drawer under the table are easier to use when the table is up in the VW, and in the MP you may either have to lower, or slide the table if you forgot something. The VW table leg is also more practical to use and seems sturdier. The table is closer to the swiveled front seats in the Cali, but it did not pose a problem for us. We also did not swivel the driver’s seat, but that is more convenient in the MP due to the electric parking brake.

The MP has a split counter top between the cooker and the sink, which is much more useful (again changed in the 2018 Cali?)

The fridge seems (slightly) larger in the VW, and the basket is useful, but I am sure that is an easy thing to add. Cooker and sink are basically the same, but the gas valve under the cooker is handier in the Cali than the MP. The heating and refrigeration controls are basically the same.

We are two and did not use the lower bed in either van. The upper bed is slightly wider and more firm in the VW, but we found the MP more convenient to sleep upstairs in as there is a wider shelf to put things on and much better lighting (Variable and flexi LED) in the MP. The net is also built in on the MP.

Neither vehicle we tried had a front tent window. They also both had manual roof rather than electric which is fine (Cali was a Coast with many options). The roof on the MP locks up, which is a bit more reassuring when holding the strap to climb in and out of the upper bunk. The roof clamps in the MP seem more solid, but the Cali also has security straps. There is also no cover for the opening in the MP, which seems to be a strange oversight. However, I found that the sliding cover in the VW was a bit sticky, surprising after making them for so many years…

Raising the bed in the Cali for headroom is much easier due to the gas cylinders which make it simple to push up. The MP bed has to be lifted manually, and straps used to hold it up. Strange that such an obvious thing like gas cylinders are absent on the MP.

Blackout curtains are more efficient in the VW, but fiddlier to use. The magnets and front window covers are brilliant, vs suction cups on the MP, and the MP has one piece of cloth front and side window cover which is more of a pain, as the side window covers come off when the front doors are opened. I think this could be overcome by making similar magnetic covers for the front side windows of the MP, but out of the box, it still works.

There are more USB and 220 plugs in the MP, and the under cupboard LED lighting around the floor (optional) is quite elegant and very handy at night.

The rear seat in the MP is split, making it possible to use it as a single bed and leaving one seat up. The rear seat is also much more comfortable to sit on in the MP.

The interior of the MP is generally more spacious, but the Cali boot is larger. The very poor design of the bag for the chairs under the shelf in the MP does not help. Basically I would just take it out, and use more compact folding chairs. The Cali outside table is a bit smaller and the legs harder to adjust - but the Cali chairs are more comfortable than the ones that come with the MP.

Verdict:

Both the Cali and the MP are excellent campervans. They should be for the price…

In our case, we are leaning toward the MP, but are trying one again soon, as the MP was our first campervan rental, and it was hard to separate all of the new experiences (like actually being in hot weather at Easter) from the experience of the van. My wife also did not drive the MP for various reasons, so that needs a try too.

So I will report back.

If I had a family and small children, I would probably not hesitate to get the Cali, but as we are two and a bit older, the business class feel of the MP has its appeal.

What is most obvious is that it is much more about the lifestyle than the van, and there is no question that you could enjoy a T4, T5, T6 or MP Viano (previous version) just as much.

Call me thorough, but before deciding on a campervan, we have now rented both a Cali and a Mercedes Marco Polo for a week, and have driven around 1200 Km in each. Here are some subjective observations that both my wife and I have made.

Driving

The Cali and the MP are both quality vehicles. The MP has a more car-like driving feel and seems definitely quieter. The VW has a higher and more forward driving position, giving a better view, but also making it less comfortable on rough roads. Both handle pretty well and while cruising on an autoroute both are very comfortable.

Both the VW and the MP were the lower spec engines with automatic transmission, and I found both the 110 Kw VW and the MP 220d to be powerful enough for me. The MP gearbox seems smoother and gives options for Eco or Sporty driving modes, and even has paddle shifters which I did not use.

Of major note is that the Cali is front wheel drive, while the MP is rear wheel drive. In general driving in wet or dry I found them both good, but I live in a snowy area near the mountains, so while I might be able to get away with a FWD Cali, I would definitely need a 4WD MP. Personally I would go for 4WD in either.

The dash and controls are clear on both, but I personally liked the controls on the MP better. The cruise control is a small lever on the left, vs. buttons on the steering wheel, and I found that easier to use without looking down. The MP shift is also on the steering column. The Cali we rented had adaptive cruise control, which I really like and would get on a Cali.

For the electronics, the VW GPS is better than the Garmin on the MP which has a clunky interface and no touch screen, but I found that neither is as good as a basic TomTom, which I reverted to on a few occasions.

I found that the sound quality of the radio is equally bad in both vehicles, but that may be a result of the open space in the van.

It was hard to compare the air conditioning as the MP I had was manual (not recommended) and the Cali was fully automatic. The VW does have larger air vents and seems to get more air through.

We did not fully test all of the parking and front and rear sensors, but the MP has a nice front side sensor which is useful at toll booths as it helps you get close but not scrape the wheel on the curb.

Camping features:

It is clear at first glance that the interior finish of the MP is much fancier than the plain jane Cali interior. Kind of like an upgrade to a nice Business Class airline seat.

The Cali floor is much simpler, but the seat rails are sealed better and easier to clean. The teak effect floor in the MP is nice (did I hear rumour that the 2018 Cali has the same?) In any case, I think a carpet is a most useful addition, so you would not see it much anyway.

I found the seat cloth colour in the Cali to be very impractical, and it seems to stain by just looking at it. The basic black cloth in the MP is more practical, and also seems more resistant.

Cupboards in the Cali are more practical and larger. I was a bit surprised that the sliders are not smoother though. The MP cupboards have a nicer feel and better locks. The Cali double glove box is much handier, and the lack of a cup holder in the front of the MP is a bad oversight. Brandrup or somebody else probably makes a solution though. Generally, the Cali seems to have more nooks and crannies to stick things, like even behind the table in the sliding door...

The cupboards and drawer under the table are easier to use when the table is up in the VW, and in the MP you may either have to lower, or slide the table if you forgot something. The VW table leg is also more practical to use and seems sturdier. The table is closer to the swiveled front seats in the Cali, but it did not pose a problem for us. We also did not swivel the driver’s seat, but that is more convenient in the MP due to the electric parking brake.

The MP has a split counter top between the cooker and the sink, which is much more useful (again changed in the 2018 Cali?)

The fridge seems (slightly) larger in the VW, and the basket is useful, but I am sure that is an easy thing to add. Cooker and sink are basically the same, but the gas valve under the cooker is handier in the Cali than the MP. The heating and refrigeration controls are basically the same.

We are two and did not use the lower bed in either van. The upper bed is slightly wider and more firm in the VW, but we found the MP more convenient to sleep upstairs in as there is a wider shelf to put things on and much better lighting (Variable and flexi LED) in the MP. The net is also built in on the MP.

Neither vehicle we tried had a front tent window. They also both had manual roof rather than electric which is fine (Cali was a Coast with many options). The roof on the MP locks up, which is a bit more reassuring when holding the strap to climb in and out of the upper bunk. The roof clamps in the MP seem more solid, but the Cali also has security straps. There is also no cover for the opening in the MP, which seems to be a strange oversight. However, I found that the sliding cover in the VW was a bit sticky, surprising after making them for so many years…

Raising the bed in the Cali for headroom is much easier due to the gas cylinders which make it simple to push up. The MP bed has to be lifted manually, and straps used to hold it up. Strange that such an obvious thing like gas cylinders are absent on the MP.

Blackout curtains are more efficient in the VW, but fiddlier to use. The magnets and front window covers are brilliant, vs suction cups on the MP, and the MP has one piece of cloth front and side window cover which is more of a pain, as the side window covers come off when the front doors are opened. I think this could be overcome by making similar magnetic covers for the front side windows of the MP, but out of the box, it still works.

There are more USB and 220 plugs in the MP, and the under cupboard LED lighting around the floor (optional) is quite elegant and very handy at night.

The rear seat in the MP is split, making it possible to use it as a single bed and leaving one seat up. The rear seat is also much more comfortable to sit on in the MP.

The interior of the MP is generally more spacious, but the Cali boot is larger. The very poor design of the bag for the chairs under the shelf in the MP does not help. Basically I would just take it out, and use more compact folding chairs. The Cali outside table is a bit smaller and the legs harder to adjust - but the Cali chairs are more comfortable than the ones that come with the MP.

Verdict:

Both the Cali and the MP are excellent campervans. They should be for the price…

In our case, we are leaning toward the MP, but are trying one again soon, as the MP was our first campervan rental, and it was hard to separate all of the new experiences (like actually being in hot weather at Easter) from the experience of the van. My wife also did not drive the MP for various reasons, so that needs a try too.

So I will report back.

If I had a family and small children, I would probably not hesitate to get the Cali, but as we are two and a bit older, the business class feel of the MP has its appeal.

What is most obvious is that it is much more about the lifestyle than the van, and there is no question that you could enjoy a T4, T5, T6 or MP Viano (previous version) just as much.

Thank you for such a thoughtful, comprehensive summary. Really useful. Excellent.

I'm going to sit down and read this really properly. Great post. :thumb

CDinFrance. Well written and impartial review. I think your point regading expected use by a couple rather than family or dogs perhaps makes the decision easy for some. Try an Ocean if you get a chance as mine is very quiet ans smooth.

Very interesting - we don't have the option in the UK of the Coast - I'm sure if you tried the Ocean then the electric roof might sway you the other way. The front window is a big bonus too.

Personally, the table and chair storage and built in blinds together with sliding seat system are the reasons I love the Cali series more than any other conversion thus far. I have not seen a Merc conversion in the flesh though so look forward to it.

...was it on both the most recent models you rented ?

for all those who are down with it .... one is sick and one literally looks like sick .... init boom !

Very interesting - we don't have the option in the UK of the Coast - I'm sure if you tried the Ocean then the electric roof might sway you the other way. The front window is a big bonus too.

Personally, the table and chair storage and built in blinds together with sliding seat system are the reasons I love the Cali series more than any other conversion thus far. I have not seen a Merc conversion in the flesh though so look forward to it.

The blinds work well in the MP, but the front window cover is a cloth with suction cups. Sliding seat is basically the same except that the MP has a split seat and the contours (absent on the Cali, therefore less comfortable) deflate to make the bed.

Very interesting and excellent post , thank you .

I'd like to add my experiences to this post ; I hired a new T6 150 DSG Ocean for two months and drove 4500miles to try it out . I would have also hired a MP but could not find one in UK. I did read a review on both which concluded the VW Ocean drove better , so I bought a 204 4 motion DSG with a number of extras . I waited 8 months for my Cali and bought it from EuroVans , there were some communication issues but on the whole my experience was positive ;when I get a few minor niggles sorted , like the safe box I ordered but was missing , the water indicators on the control panel not working and the decals on the b pillars missing , then I'll be happy. Ive been watching the thread about MB service v VW and do agree MB service ( previous 350d e class owner ) is fabulous, at least at lookers Ashford . VW call centre always replied to me if I had a question .

The biggest surprise to me was how this 204 4 motion, with the strengthening anti roll bars and the 235 55 17 Bridgestone tyres , compared to the continental tyres I had on the 150 drives . It seems to me almost another vehicle. It's way way quicker, much smoother , don't notice the bumps as much on bad roads and it has great road holding .

There has been small changes in the interior too since I hired the T6. A really positive thing is the interior sides of the door are now darker , much less likely to get dirty then the material like light finish I had on the hire T6, and it's probably just my imagination but the upstairs bed feels better too ?

The SAT NAV ,which was terrible on the hire T6 , kept taking me to wrong places and an awful voice , plus the voice commands didn't work well , is certainly much better on the one I've bought . It's even better then the sat nav on the merc I had , I never thought I'd say that .

I spend a lot of time in France and whilst making a drive the other day , on route to Uk in fact to get my Cali , I saw not a Marco Polo but a Jules Vern . I stopped and chatted with the owner , a French guy about my age , he was delighted with it and he showed me inside . I must say the finish looked fabulous, I like the addition of the small shower and toilet too, maybe that's worth the extra 0.5m ?

However I don't think I'd trade those good looks etc if the driving experience was anything less than the VW , after picking up my Cali I drove it back to Southern France and it exceeded my expectations as regards drive and the road holding was excellent; I went around a bend too fast on one occasion on a newly gravelled small road and felt certain I was going to slide , possibly with nasty consequences, but it did not it stuck on the road and didn't budge , I felt at that point something give extra control / grip , perhaps the 4 motionkicking in?

The MPG on the 150 DSG averaged around 38 per gallon . I'm able with careful driving and on longer trips to get almost the same on the 204 DSG 4 motion , which I think is amazing .

So I'm happy up to now with my VW , Ive only done 1000 miles , but I'll keep posting as I experience things , hopefully nothing bad ... I've also taken the 150k miles 5 years guarantee..just in case.

I'm planning now the trip to Lapland later this year , to see / photograph the Northern Lights , that will be a real test with the cold weather driving and sleeping , plus the long distances to cover in between stops .

Best wishes

I agree with you. Same set up and spec and having no handling issues.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked at a MP the other day at my local MB dealer. I went with an open mind, but the electric roof was broken, with an alarm blaring away constantly when the ignition was on. Not a good start. There are definitely pros and cons. The 360 camera was excellent. The chair and table storage awful. The upstairs floor had clever rubber springs, making it quite comfortable, but no gas struts for raising it - that seemed cheap. Not sure about the lower floor, either, and the runners were already filling with dirt. Dropping the rear seat backrests to convert to a bed is done by motors, and they seemed to struggle. At times, you could hear the motors whirring away, but the backrests were not moving. Maybe they were faulty too. Long term issues right there, I suspect.

All in all, not a game changer. Worst of all, NO armrests on the window side of each front seat! Why would you only want one armrest?????

It's odd about the bed gas struts...it's not that expensive as I've got some on my conversion.

I agree with you. Same set up and spec and having no handling issues.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've got the same spec too (except no roll bars) and have just driven down to Grado on the Italian coast via Holland, Germany & Austria and the van drove better than many cars I've had. I'm glad I spent the extra money as it simply eats miles.

I probably should know the answer to this, but what do you mean by the ‘front window’?

I probably should know the answer to this, but what do you mean by the ‘front window’?
When the roof is elevated the Ocean canvas has 2 x side windows and a front window.

As they say. And of course the Beach and non UK Coast, ie all manual roof models rather annoyingly thanks to VW's marketing plan or whatever have no front window.

They should at least offer it as a cost option.

Looking at the front of the brochure offered by Westfalia for the two van options they make, the KEPLER ( LWB T6) or the JULES VERNE (LWB VITO at btw only 5.18m ) , it seems from the picture front on that the MB option is smaller all around . I wonder of this an illusion ? anyway I was thinking if I ever had a Jules Verne although the loo and the shower are nice where would the luggage go and where would HUGO the doggy sleep and travel as there is no back shelf, which he loves to travel on as he can see everything .

Also another point the downstairs bed it seems very narrow and I think feet have to go onto the seats . ??

Hmmmmm

Driving

Camping features:

Verdict:

So I will report back.

Good article, I’m in that very position of trying to choose, the VW pricing has gone through the covid ceiling and I’m now looking at just short of 80kmfor the Cali ocean with only a few options. I like the smaller size for parking, the 4 magic and locking diff options, new nav and digital cockpit but really with a blindfold on you’d have a hard time telling them apart

Great read.
can only just scrape funds for a cali.
Even the cheapest MP is out of the question…. But kind of attractive to a Mercedes fan