Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali water tank

R

R&K

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on whether to empty or fill the water tank on a Cali when the van is not being used for longer periods? Also do the tanks require sterilisation at all?

Always empty mine if were not going to use it within a week

Reactions: R&K
Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on whether to empty or fill the water tank on a Cali when the van is not being used for longer periods? Also do the tanks require sterilisation at all?
There will be as many views on this as there are California owners, but one thing you must do is drain both tanks for winter storage. If full and temperatures drop then damage can be caused if the contents freeze.
Some sterilise the tank each season or before each use. I prefere sterilising the contents rather than the tank per se. There is no right or wrong method but emptying the tank for winter is a must. Also unplug the electrical feed to the tap and leave it open to drain tap and pipes, either by removing the 5 amp fuse under the passenger seat RHD or disconnect the plug/socket for the tap in the R upper kitchen cupboard.

Don’t know if they are the same but I can open the tap enough to let air in without the pump running

There will be as many views on this as there are California owners, but one thing you must do is drain both tanks for winter storage. If full and temperatures drop then damage can be caused if the contents freeze.
Some sterilise the tank each season or before each use. I prefere sterilising the contents rather than the tank per se. There is no right or wrong method but emptying the tank for winter is a must. Also unplug the electrical feed to the tap and leave it open to drain tap and pipes, either by removing the 5 amp fuse under the passenger seat RHD or disconnect the plug/socket for the tap in the R upper kitchen cupboard.
Thanks. Out of interest what do use to sterilise the water/tank?

Back