Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Webasto for engine heating

Egronnes

Egronnes

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Short question: is it possible and has it been done? Can the comfort heater be converted to heat the engine coolant as well as the interior? I don’t want to add a separate heater (more things to go wrong) if possible. Living in Norway it would be nice to have after a night in the mountains in 10 minus.

Hello Ergonnes. If we're talking of the same camper you've had starting issues with it should already have a coolant heater. All the 2.5 TDi engines had one that would fire up at temperatures below 5C to help the engine heat up to running temperatures more quickly. You can see this heater if you look in the engine bay at the front right hand side, in front of the gear box. If it's there you'll see a silver sticker identifying it - made by Eberspacher.

Hello Ergonnes. If we're talking of the same camper you've had starting issues with it should already have a coolant heater. All the 2.5 TDi engines had one that would fire up at temperatures below 5C to help the engine heat up to running temperatures more quickly. You can see this heater if you look in the engine bay at the front right hand side, in front of the gear box. If it's there you'll see a silver sticker identifying it - made by Eberspacher.
I think I may of misunderstood what you were asking. You have a coolant heater fitted and want to modify it to heat the cab when you're stationary? This is possible. There are official kits by Eberspacher to convert them that have a timer and controls in the cab. The fine details of the conversion I'm unsure of as we have the air heater fitted. I'm not sure using the coolant heater would be as efficient as the air heater warming such a large space -10C is pretty cold.

Wow! There really is an Eber down there! Is it possible to turn on manually? I’ve only got the German manuals. Sorry if I’m too much of a rookie here...
I don’t need to convert anything if I can have that running for a little while.

61E5FA4B-095A-4ED5-BA8C-8D2E367828D1.jpeg

Wow! There really is an Eber down there! Is it possible to turn on manually? I’ve only got the German manuals. Sorry if I’m too much of a rookie here...
I don’t need to convert anything if I can have that running for a little while.

View attachment 25253
It should fire up automatically when you start the engine as long as the outside temperature is less than 5C. To check it works you can find the thermostat behind the wing near the horn. Unplug it and short the circuit with a piece of electrical wire then start the engine. It should fire up within a few seconds if it's in working condition. Bare in mind the engine needs to be running for the heater to work. I'm not sure how you would modify things for it to work without the engine running.