Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Califorina Newbies - advice needed please

BugsyMalone

BugsyMalone

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, we have just collected our new Cali, Bugsy, from the dealership and are trying to decide on the best mattress for downstairs (we do not have the Comfort one). There is a bewildering cross section of opinion and without being able to try them in person, it is proving difficult to make the decision. Narrowed it down between ZS Ultra, Duvalay, Brandrup iXtend - we want something comfy. At the risk of duplicating, is there a clear choice in your opinion?

Hi, we have just collected our new Cali, Bugsy, from the dealership and are trying to decide on the best mattress for downstairs (we do not have the Comfort one). There is a bewildering cross section of opinion and without being able to try them in person, it is proving difficult to make the decision. Narrowed it down between ZS Ultra, Duvalay, Brandrup iXtend - we want something comfy. At the risk of duplicating, is there a clear choice in your opinion?

The VW comfort should be renamed as not comfort. We have the Duvalay which is shaped to fit the Cali 50mm with the removable zipped sheet. Been on the two previous vans going in the third. no problems and comfy.
Others will have their personal preference and all will be good. I went for the Duverlay on recommendation from a friend and due to work location was able to collect which saved money.

The VW comfort should be renamed as not comfort. We have the Duvalay which is shaped to fit the Cali 50mm with the removable zipped sheet. Been on the two previous vans going in the third. no problems and comfy.
Others will have their personal preference and all will be good. I went for the Duverlay on recommendation from a friend and due to work location was able to collect which saved money.
No problem with the VW Comfort mattress and 4 yrs on still comfy. Each to his own.

A bed is one item you have to choose for yourself, all good makes there but it's personal preference. A cheaper option is an ikea or dunelm topper.

On the hire van we had it had now extra topper and although we slept but new long term we'd need a topper of some sort. Before jumping in we made it the shop opening day and we able to look/feel and to a certain extent try out their options. We ended getting a zonesleep topper which has been fine and rather comfy.

There is a meet in a couple of weekend, why not try and pop to that or pop up and see if you can get a look at some of the option people use.

Thanks everyone, really helpful. We need to get on with it as dying to go on first trip so have gone for the Duvalay Freshtech for now. We were heavily influenced by The Travelling Togs on Youtube and will probably emulate their setup to begin with. We will look out for meets in time but would like to settle in a bit on our own and get to know Bugsy better first. Great fun! Thank you...

Welcome allong , sleep above it's a good bed and way less work to reorganise than the downstaires bed .

Thanks everyone, really helpful. We need to get on with it as dying to go on first trip so have gone for the Duvalay Freshtech for now. We were heavily influenced by The Travelling Togs on Youtube and will probably emulate their setup to begin with. We will look out for meets in time but would like to settle in a bit on our own and get to know Bugsy better first. Great fun! Thank you...

How was your choice?
Have you tried it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, not yet as awaiting delivery tomorrow. We have been using a Silent Night topper on the top, which works ok but would be better if my wife did not insist on sleeping with the window flap open in sub zero temperatures! I am due to have a night on the Duvalay next weekend and will post how I get on.

Right, had a couple of nights on the Duvalay Freshteck with the Silent Night Airmax topper on top. We got the Airmax topper to put on the upstairs mattress, which works well, and thought we might as well use it downstairs also. I am very happy with the Duvalay which seems good quality and is not overly bulky in the back. We got it with one of their fitted sheets which works well and the mattress fits perfectly in the space available. I read later that Duvalay do not recommend people using toppers on top of their mattress so I was going to try next time without the Airmax. I can't compare to other makes such as ZS but I am sure they are equally good from what people have said. It is still a firm feel for a largish chap such as myself but I did not have any aches or pains in the morning and hopefully I will get used to feel of it after a few more nights.

Just an update if it is of interest. We no longer use the topper over the Duvalay as the Duvalay definitely works better with body temperature to do whatever it does. Really pleased with it

We’ve done a few nights on our freshtec duvalay now and, while it doesn’t feel like a mega plush hotel bed (understandable), it’s perfectly comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve only been in our Cali ocean only once before this long trip and the comfort mattress was sooo uncomfortable I seriously considered selling the van than injure my back again. I bought the fitted Duvalay topper (2.5cm) and so glad I did. There are only two of us so don’t use the top bed. Instead, the topper fits the top bunk (to store) if you take the current one out and you can still fold down the roof onto it which you can’t do with the 5 cm one so we are not losing more space as the Duvalay would be a very big addition to pack elsewhere. We then just pull the bottom bed out, pull the comfort mattress out, add the topper from the top bunk and done! So pleased with our purchase, two weeks in Spain will be a doddle now.

Back