Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California and teenagers. The Cali shelf life?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

So ive ordered my Cali beach which is due Sept and just cannot wait!

I have a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl.

I just know they will love the Cali and especially the pop up bed (i know i will)

My question then is;

At what age do you think they will not want to share a bed?. Does anyone have teenagers and what's their attitude?

It will vary from child to child but I wouldn’t say you have long

O
It will vary from child to child but I wouldn’t say you have long
Oh, no, thats not good to hear!!! :Nailbiting:sorry. Only reason ive ordered it is because of them?

We have a 15 YO boy and a 11 YO girl. They still sleep up the top together when they have to, but we always have an option for sleeping outside when we go away. If it’s only a quick stop for one night then we don’t bother with the tent or drive away awning. Two nights or more then the tent gets set up.

We are currently at Littlehampton for the night. Both kids slept up top without any issues....yet (they are still to wake)

O

Oh, no, thats not good to hear!!! :Nailbiting:sorry. Only reason ive ordered it is because of them?
If a long term investment maybe a larger camper with single beds might be more suitable. I love the California but recognise any campervans limitations. A larger vehicle such as a Crafter might allow a better night-time arrangement. No treason to the California intended but get the most suitable vehicle for your use. Or boys sleep with boys and girls with girls if there are any concerns then problem solved. :thumb

We have a 15 YO boy and a 11 YO girl. They still sleep up the top together when they have to, but we always have an option for sleeping outside when we go away. If it’s only a quick stop for one night then we don’t bother with the tent or drive away awning. Two nights or more then the tent gets set up.

We are currently at Littlehampton for the night. Both kids slept up top without any issues....yet (they are still to wake)
Oooh, now thats good to hear. Yes, dont mind putting up an awning for 2 or more nights. Thanks for that!

If a long term investment maybe a larger camper with single beds might be more suitable. I love the California but recognise any campervans limitations. A larger vehicle such as a Crafter might allow a better night-time arrangement. No treason to the California intended but get the most suitable vehicle for your use. Or boys sleep with boys and girls with girls if there are any concerns then problem solved. :thumb
Thank you for your advice but buying the Cali for me was soley on the fact its not much bigger than a estae car so will use it for my car, and spend quality time with my kids javing advnetures. Maybe i should have asked this question before i ordered one, slightly worried now?

Thank you for your advice but buying the Cali for me was soley on the fact its not much bigger than a estae car so will use it for my car, and spend quality time with my kids javing advnetures. Maybe i should have asked this question before i ordered one, slightly worried now?
I wouldn't worry. When you use the California you will all adapt and enjoy. The freedom is priceless and (whisper) you can keep them occupied with videos:rolleyes:. The California is probably the best of both worlds for day to day transport and breaks as well. The kids will love it.:cheers

Think about a pop up Decathlon tent for one of them (as and when required). Takes up hardly any room and pitched in minutes. You can put it up under the awning to make it feel connected to the Cali experience, perhaps even inside a Comfortz Awning room.

Everyone has a different need or way of working and all kids are different.

For us, our teenage son is far too 'teenagery' to be allowed in the van at night so he is banished into a two man pop up Decathlon tent which he is very happy with in his own space...

The downstairs bed is too cramped for two so the wife is banished upstairs where she is perfectly happy sharing with our tweenie daughter.

I make do with the downstairs bed all to myself...I'm pretty happy too. :D

Think about a pop up Decathlon tent for one of them (as and when required). Takes up hardly any room and pitched in minutes. You can put it up under the awning to make it feel connected to the Cali experience, perhaps even inside a Comfortz Awning room.
Thank you @2into1 . There not tenagers yet (well.my 5 year old might as well be!) and already appreciate maybe a awning is going to be needed, but just wondering how long i have got before i get "No way dad am i sleeping in the same bed as my sister!" 1 year, 2 years. When will an awning become amust have part of tla 4 member cali family camp experience?

My kids are 10 and 7 and I don’t currently see why we can’t carry on as we are for at least another 5 years. My wife sleeps downstairs with the youngest and I upstairs with the eldest. I find it too warm downstairs and my son is happy to steal the duvet of me and I just gently pull it back put the two boys together upstairs and they just fight and don’t sleep.

As someone with a 18y/o boy and 17y/o girl, you are still some time away from “no way dad am I going on the same holiday as you”, which I have to say is a mixed blessing.

It very much depends on the kids, I’d say when the oldest gets to 14 is when it will change, but even then it could be ok. Ours (actually step brother/sister) never argued, even when young, and have always been good mates. I dare say if they fought like cat and dog then the age of space sharing would have been a few years lower.

My kids are 10 and 7 and I don’t currently see why we can’t carry on as we are for at least another 5 years. My wife sleeps downstairs with the youngest and I upstairs with the eldest. I find it too warm downstairs and my son is happy to steal the duvet of me and I just gently pull it back put the two boys together upstairs and they just fight and don’t sleep.
Theres some good advice there i suppose! Mum with daughter, me with the boy appreciate i could fet an awning but sometimes the thought of just being spontaneous and going away for a quick weekend sounds great, so if i have 4-5 years, that woud be great!!!

Being a mother of a 19 year old and a 16 y.o. (Girl and boy) I would say it’s no problem. Ìf they come along, and it’s only a night, then they will share the downstairs bed (the more spacious upstairs bed is without a doubt for hubby and me). When for a longer stay we also have the previously mentioned decathlon tent.
But in future you might counter some real problems: like; who will be allowed to use the Bus; parents or one of the children. Already our daughter takes it regularly for weekend trips. Takes some negotiating sometimes...

So I dread the day when our son gets gis driver license too;)

Just enjoy your van! Either with your teenagers as long as they want to come along, or without them with the 2 of you! Or alone to get away from your beloved family. Or to get your teenagers away from you!
As said by others before; it’s versatile.

Once they are teenagers they will appreciate their own tent, or drive away awning.

You can pitch it next to the cali, put all nice things in it to make it totally self-sufficient for them, invite them to pop in and have a look...... then drive off quick to somewhere else!:shocked

Ours grew out of it as soon as they were teenagers plus its not really fair for a teenager to be in a confined space with a parent!! We solved it for our by buying a drive away awning with an inner bedroom.

Camping is no longer 'cool' once you hit 15/16

All wise and great answers. Thank you very much everyone!!

My kids who were 16 and 19 when they last camped with us, have slept on the bed downstairs. It’s only been for an odd night as we have been en route somewhere but they do have there own pop up tents if they come with us for any length of time.

Last edited:
My kids who where 16 and 19 when they last camped with us, have slept on the bed downstairs. It’s only been for an odd night as we have been route somewhere but they do have there own pop up tents if they come with us for any length of time.
Well.of thats the case, got loads of time! Thanks

A bit late to this thread, but wanted to add that my sister & I (both girls & only a year apart which maybe made a difference) camped several weeks of the year until age 18 & 19, & only really stopped because our parents then rightly took advantage of being able to go away at off peak times. We had a 4 man tent (you’d want 2 separate compartments for a boy/ girl pair I guess) for anything other than very occasional ferry port or lay-by stops... for those we shared the very small upstairs bed of the T3 high top. As long as you are going places & doing things the whole family enjoys (& ideally meeting friends or new friends along the way) I don’t see why they won’t want to come along for years. We look back on it with great happiness & I can’t wait to get my own van to continue the tradition!

A bit late to this thread, but wanted to add that my sister & I (both girls & only a year apart which maybe made a difference) camped several weeks of the year until age 18 & 19, & only really stopped because our parents then rightly took advantage of being able to go away at off peak times. We had a 4 man tent (you’d want 2 separate compartments for a boy/ girl pair I guess) for anything other than very occasional ferry port or lay-by stops... for those we shared the very small upstairs bed of the T3 high top. As long as you are going places & doing things the whole family enjoys (& ideally meeting friends or new friends along the way) I don’t see why they won’t want to come along for years. We look back on it with great happiness & I can’t wait to get my own van to continue the tradition!
No, your not too late,that is lovely and great to hear your experiences, thank you!!! Cali getting built this week and being delivered in a month or so (touch wood). Thanks again!!!!

If it’s only a quick stop for one night then we don’t bother with the tent or drive away awning. Two nights or more then the tent gets set up.[/QUOTE said:
My Little girl is 5yrs. She allways sleeps inside down or up.

Buy a Quechua 2 Seconds and you will be fine. It Stands in 2 Seconds and it’s easy to use!

At the moment we use it for out stuff but if she won’t sleep inside anymore I will buy a second one for her to sleep when she is older....
155b01a16483e8c04ec5594ef97d9ad2.jpg

Back