Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California awning

Coral65

Coral65

Vehicle
Looking to buy
apologies for silly question - not had Cali too long and not camped in good weather yet so not used the wind out awning. I was wondering if I had to pay extra to use it when booking a site or is that just for the larger drive away awnings? Also, is it better to be on grass in order to peg it down or can I do it on a hard standing?

apologies for silly question - not had Cali too long and not camped in good weather yet so not used the wind out awning. I was wondering if I had to pay extra to use it when booking a site or is that just for the larger drive away awnings? Also, is it better to be on grass in order to peg it down or can I do it on a hard standing?
No don't pay extra for awning as only a wind out one . It can be pegged on grass or hard standing . I always wind it in at night just in case the wind gets up.

No extra charge in my experience
Never leave it out without some sort of pegging or guy as it is a big sail area and a small gust can pick it up and damage will be caused.

Even so called hardstandings are normally just gravel and decent pegs will go in.
In the past we have parked on hardstanding and the tie down kit at an angle pegged in the grass.
We have a peggy peg base kit with screw in pegs that we normally use on the legs.

No don't pay extra for awning as only a wind out one . It can be pegged on grass or hard standing . I always wind it in at night just in case the wind gets up.
That’s great thanks for the info, seemed like a daft question but I have been wondering.

We have a peggy peg base kit with screw in pegs that we normally use on the legs.

That looks a great bit of kit, not seen those before. Just to understand, you peg 4 points? One on each leg and 2 guy ropes?

That looks a great bit of kit, not seen those before. Just to understand, you peg 4 points? One on each leg and 2 guy ropes?

The "guy ropes" need to be more than tent style guy ropes. More like webbing straps and a long spike into the grass. As Loz says, there is effectively a large sail there and a gust of wind will pull it out of the ground if it is not really well fixed down. Fiamma do 2 types of tie down kit, both around £18. I can find some pictures of each if that would help you.

We use the Thule kit. Make sure you set one leg lower than the other if you leave it up. If water doesn’t drain off it can collect stretching the material.

Back