Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Days In The Dordogne

It's a great spot. We stayed there a few years ago in our 1973 Bay Window bus. It's about time I took the Cali down that way!

It's a great spot. We stayed there a few years ago in our 1973 Bay Window bus. It's about time I took the Cali down that way!
Excellent site ..... save you a space :bananadance2

Too late. I know it is a wonderfull region. Especially that triangle between Sarlat, Montignac and Le Buisson de Cadouin.

Been there again in 2017. Camping Les Acacias in La Caneda.

Nice place - Shame about the bypass though!
The bypass has currently been halted, work has stopped and is subject to appeal proceedings. Apparently they've spent 15 million so far!

Last edited:
Camping Le Capeyrou ......Beynac et Cazenac. Been coming here for years and it’s stunning .....but don’t tell everyone as I like to keep it a secret

View attachment 47434
Thank you for posting this.. we stayed recently and loved it. Without your post, I would never of heard of it.

For us almost a perfect site.

Good view, good facilities, restaurants, bakers etc all within walking distance.
We were using it as a 3 night stopover on the way back from Spain & the last thing I wanted was to drive anywhere.

The only downside for us was noise from tent campers.

A different food van arriving each evening is a nice touch if your not in the mood for cooking or going out. Standing in the rain on Sunday evening queuing for fish & chips (at £12 a head!) reminded me of our typical Cornish trips.

Watching the hot air balloons is enjoyable on the first evening, but the sound of the gas burners going gets a bit tedious after a couple of days. Its also quite clear that some of the pilots are better than others, we had one of the blue Kingfisher balloons come within six foot of touching down on the games field, changed his mind & missed a tree by inches as he ascended again.

For us almost a perfect site.

Good view, good facilities, restaurants, bakers etc all within walking distance.
We were using it as a 3 night stopover on the way back from Spain & the last thing I wanted was to drive anywhere.

The only downside for us was noise from tent campers.

A different food van arriving each evening is a nice touch if your not in the mood for cooking or going out. Standing in the rain on Sunday evening queuing for fish & chips (at £12 a head!) reminded me of our typical Cornish trips.

Watching the hot air balloons is enjoyable on the first evening, but the sound of the gas burners going gets a bit tedious after a couple of days. Its also quite clear that some of the pilots are better than others, we had one of the blue Kingfisher balloons come within six foot of touching down on the games field, changed his mind & missed a tree by inches as he ascended again.
Just luck of the draw. Never had any noisy neighbours and only heard the hot air burners close one morning about 9am.

The bar, terrace, pool, toilet facilities and the pizza van were all spot on to us!

Is the river good for paddle boarding or is the flow a bit fast?
I'm no expert but I reckon the flow is about as slow as it gets. I would be happy to let our 9 year old loose in a canoe on her own without any worry about her disappearing out of sight.

Is the river good for paddle boarding or is the flow a bit fast?
I met a couple of paddle boarders on camp that have been down there for the last 4 years but during my 10km canoe, didn't see any on the river. The flow is really slow and most of the river is only a couple of foot deep. I had 3 kids in the canoe aged 13, 7 & 5 and felt safe the whole time.

Last edited:
Just for completeness - this is from the castle looking back at the campsite with the famous bypass in the background P1020479 copy.jpg- spot the Cali.