Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dream is over for now.....cancelling order

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Sadly, after all the planning and excitement, the frustrations have finally took their toll and we are cancelling our order. If you read my first post on this forum you'll know we had reservations about purchasing a Cali after a 2 day hire. But we stuck with our dream and brushed aside concerns over 6.1 issues, VW customer service and the delays. However we've had enough of the uncertainty and the real possibility of being without a car for a few weeks or months even, so after a real good talk about it we are going to go for an estate car again. A very nice one at that, as cancelling a Cali order gives you some nice options! We're hopefully going to go for a BMW M340i. Fully specced (but with no bed or kitchen!) and with discount it is about £52k, so way less. More importantly there are NO (or none I can think of) compromises, unlike there is with the Cali. BMW have also told me today that they have confirmed factory build slots allocated in March.
We will take out a 3 year PCP and maybe when that ends we will reconsider the Campervan dream.

Hopefully we should get back our deposit . I've purchased a VW number plate, so that is a wasted £400. Anyone want VW21 PMR :)

Thanks for all the fabulous advice and information on these forums. I don't think I'll be participating very much from now on, but I may be back in just over 3 years time.

Finally, fingers crossed for all of you waiting on a factory order. Hopefully you can see it out. Our company car goes back at the end of April and we need a big car for the dogs. I made VW aware of this issue but they haven't offered any kind of solution sadly, so we couldn't take the chance. We could try and get a used one, but the value is poor at the moment.

Thanks again,
Phil

I can think of a few compromises using a BMW instead of a California.

When you look again in three years you will probably find the spec you were looking at is now £10k more, a three year old will be the same price as you were going to pay this year.

As pjm-84 says, Phil, appreciate your decision as you know what works best for you, but I also would hold out for the VW, while, if there is an urgent need for a car until then, just do a monthly lease so that you can wait it out for the camper. It will still work out to be cheaper and a whole load of fun.

The beemers going to cost you a lot more over 3 yrs than the Cali, but at least you should know when you’ll get it and what you’re getting. Unlike with VW, who won’t give a toss anyway. Hope it goes well for you and at leats you’ll be able to get a decent sized tent in the boot.....

Don’t forget ALL manufacturers are suffering from component shortages, BMW included. Build slot doesn’t guarantee it will be built. Don’t want to sound negative but that is the reality right now.

Oh Phil Im so sad to be reading that as yes recall your very first post about your disappointment & then you coming around to all the positives - what a roller coaster, just wish youd stick it out in the hope VW get their act together & your dream is realized - so sorry you wont be on here to share all the Cali adventures but wish you well.

Buy a new T6.1 high spec van and get it converted to your specification by a really good converter with a minimum 3 year warranty on van and conversion. A really good conversion by a VW approved converter (Autohaus amoung others) will hold up as well as a Cali - ours has on the basis of the offers I have had.

What a shame , VW squeeze the pleasure out dont they. Think hard before buying that BMW as it will lose a lot of money, mine did but its a nice car though. If I was in your position I would consider buying something already built, it might seem not value but 3 years from now it will have cost a lot less than the BMW and you can always get out easily if its not for you.

Hi Phil,

I get your frustration totally and agree with some of the comm above regarding manufacturing / component delays ( you only need one part impacted to affect shipping)

have you looked at “in stock” Vehicles At dealers ?

best of luck whatever you decide, but you won’t be using the Beamer in the same way as the Cali Sleeping, cooking, camping etc

Sadly, after all the planning and excitement, the frustrations have finally took their toll and we are cancelling our order. If you read my first post on this forum you'll know we had reservations about purchasing a Cali after a 2 day hire. But we stuck with our dream and brushed aside concerns over 6.1 issues, VW customer service and the delays. However we've had enough of the uncertainty and the real possibility of being without a car for a few weeks or months even, so after a real good talk about it we are going to go for an estate car again. A very nice one at that, as cancelling a Cali order gives you some nice options! We're hopefully going to go for a BMW M340i. Fully specced (but with no bed or kitchen!) and with discount it is about £52k, so way less. More importantly there are NO (or none I can think of) compromises, unlike there is with the Cali. BMW have also told me today that they have confirmed factory build slots allocated in March.
We will take out a 3 year PCP and maybe when that ends we will reconsider the Campervan dream.

Hopefully we should get back our deposit . I've purchased a VW number plate, so that is a wasted £400. Anyone want VW21 PMR :)

Thanks for all the fabulous advice and information on these forums. I don't think I'll be participating very much from now on, but I may be back in just over 3 years time.

Finally, fingers crossed for all of you waiting on a factory order. Hopefully you can see it out. Our company car goes back at the end of April and we need a big car for the dogs. I made VW aware of this issue but they haven't offered any kind of solution sadly, so we couldn't take the chance. We could try and get a used one, but the value is poor at the moment.

Thanks again,
Phil
I completely understand your frustration and anger. But in the cold light of day you may be better off paying over the odds on a dealer supplied 2nd hand or pre reg Cali, your BMW will lose over half it's value during your contract and you are paying for that depreciation with your PCP payments. Take a breath, have a look around and make your final decision.

Yes I completely agree. If finance matters to you (and for some it may not) take time out to think it through. The BMW will cost a fortune.

Camping isn’t for everyone.
Better to realise that now, than further down the line.

Sorry, I can’t get excited for new cars. It’s like flushing good money down the toilet...

All the best with the Bimmer :thumb

Yes I completely agree. If finance matters to you (and for some it may not) take time out to think it through. The BMW will cost a fortune.
BMW the biggest depreciating car I have ever owned, but nice to drive as for pcp how can it ever add up financially that is.

i'm missing something here. ok so the bmw was less but i think a cali is a bit different to a bmw. in many many ways. if you want a car you buy a car. if you want a camper you buy a camper ?

Ah, yes I see what you mean. I should have used the word Money, rather than Finance. Just wanting him to take time out. Having a BMW for 3 years will cost however you fund it.

i might add, i bought a bmw 123D 2 year ago for 4.5 k and it is so sweet. amazing engine. not everything has to be new. and yes i still have it and yes its still running sweet (any offeers? )

i might add, i bought a bmw 123D 2 year ago for 4.5 k and it is so sweet. amazing engine. not everything has to be new. and yes i still have it and yes its still running sweet (any offeers? )
That’s a sensible purchase & somewhat different to dumping £52k on run of the mill reps car.

Delays and uncertainties due to Brexit and Covid are affecting everything I suppose. I could understand ditching the Cali for a UK built conversion, but cancelling to get a bmw has nothing to do with delays and uncertainty.
Here it's weekends and holiday in hotels/apartments vs camping. Maybe camping wasn't for you afterall.
Enjoy the beemer. and good luck.

i'm missing something here. ok so the bmw was less but i think a cali is a bit different to a bmw. in many many ways. if you want a car you buy a car. if you want a camper you buy a camper ?
This is exactly what I was thinking all the way through reading this thread. I can understand the frustration, absolutely, but... to me this sort of sounds like:

'the pizza delivery guy is late, so I decided to get sneakers instead.'

But the positive thing is, you seemed to have doubts after renting and in the end opting out of buying a cali is probably the right choice for you. Us Cali-addicts really don't want to hear that but that doesn't make it the wrong choice for you. And that beamer looks really really nice. :)

This is sad to hear. I was looking forward to seeing pics if the new Cali.
Is there an option to get a loan vehicle from your dealer until your Cali arrives?

Clearly, the itch for the BMW has become bigger than the one for the Cali. Regardless of the economics involved, it appears that said itch has to be scratched. Or is there more to this decision?

@PhilR Keep the plate (unless you get a decent offer for it) - you’ll still be able to pin it on a new Cali in a few years’ time. Might even be a theft deterrent - scrotes will think twice about nicking a MY24 T7.x on a 21 plate.

We've had 5 BMWs over 14years with a total depreciation on those vehicles nudging 115k circa 8.2k a year. The last, an high spec X5, was bought as a ex BMW management car with 12k on the clock so it skews the above figures slightly making them look better (BMW took a big hit on that car).

Of the vehicles I currently own I have no intention of parting with the Cali.

Back