Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Dreaming (in Canada)

steve0802

steve0802

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi all,

Previous late 90's T4 high top, LWB camper conversion "Cherry" owner while temporarily living in the UK. Regretted selling her and not exporting her back to Vancouver Island Canada. Choices over here in Canada are limited to high mileage 1960's to 1980's VW campers so now looking to take the plunge and pay the cost to import a 2005/6 (got to be over 15 yrs old to be allowed in) VW T5 California from Germany/Europe across the water to Canada. Looking online and probably going to use a local fixer (Busman.de) to buy, pick-up and ship for me. Look forward to learning more about T5 California on the site prior to purchase and hopefully successfully shipping to Canada...

Steve

Hi all,

Previous late 90's T4 high top, LWB camper conversion "Cherry" owner while temporarily living in the UK. Regretted selling her and not exporting her back to Vancouver Island Canada. Choices over here in Canada are limited to high mileage 1960's to 1980's VW campers so now looking to take the plunge and pay the cost to import a 2005/6 (got to be over 15 yrs old to be allowed in) VW T5 California from Germany/Europe across the water to Canada. Looking online and probably going to use a local fixer (Busman.de) to buy, pick-up and ship for me. Look forward to learning more about T5 California on the site prior to purchase and hopefully successfully shipping to Canada...

Steve
I sold my cali to a chap who imported it to New Zealand. They came over to uk bought van then headed to eu for a month then shipped it back.
It seemed like it was a very easy process, being the seller shipping co had to keep me in the loop.
That was about 3yrs ago now.
Hope it goes well and you get a good one.
Keep us all posted.

There's a fellow countryman who imported an Exclusive into Canada, bought it in The Netherlands, shipped it from Zeebrugge (Belgium). Perhaps you should have a chat? Look for member "tdi_ywg".

Hi all,

Steve
This sounds like a great project! Good luck!

Hi all,

Steve
Worth reading this thread to avoid similar problems. Fellow countryman.

There's a fellow countryman who imported an Exclusive into Canada, bought it in The Netherlands, shipped it from Zeebrugge (Belgium). Perhaps you should have a chat? Look for member "tdi_ywg".
Thanks BrugseB - appreciate the contact

Worth reading this thread to avoid similar problems. Fellow countryman.

Thanks WelshGas - and the person is from Victoria also - will be sure to look them up and research this issue.

Hi all,

Steve
Steve, I strongly encourage you to connect with Doug here in Victoria. He is a great source of knowledge for importing a T5. I am the other person in Victoria that has a T5 that we took delivery from an importer in Quebec. Between the two of us we have been assembling quite a lot of data on access to parts/maintenance and properly converting some of the necessary systems on the van for North America.

Hugh

Hi all,

Steve
Hi Steve
Did you ever find out about importing to Canada?

Hi Steve
Did you ever find out about importing to Canada?
I posted back to Steve and heard nothing further after he mentioned meeting for a beer. His setting don't permit me to PM him. FYI, I imported my T5 to Victoria using a Hamburg-based broker. Working with another Victoria T5 owner to share and support parts and service sources.
cheers, Doug

Lft Frnt 3-4_6935.jpg

I've imported from the USA to the UK many times (old aircooled buses) using a uk importer called kingstown shipping based in hull uk. They can shift any vehicle from anywhere in the world to anywhere else in the world, Europe to Canada would probably be really easy for them. Might be worth having a chat, as they're super helpful

I've imported from the USA to the UK many times (old aircooled buses) using a uk importer called kingstown shipping based in hull uk. They can shift any vehicle from anywhere in the world to anywhere else in the world, Europe to Canada would probably be really easy for them. Might be worth having a chat, as they're super helpful
I worked with a Hamburg importer who took care of purchase funds escrow, investigated the seller's history, and has a number of agent mechanics across Germany who can travel and inspect the vehicle (30% of vehicles are not exactly as advertised, ie concealed damage repair etc.) For that reason he preferred to deal only with registered dealers not private sellers. Covered transport of the vehicle to port of embarkation, prep for containerization (pressure wash undercarriage mandatory), booking passage and loading container, preparing all documentation. A big job that needs attention. Container prices have sky-rocketed over 3X since Oct. 2020 which likely will crimp the opportunities further. It's really not a difficult process, merely expensive.

I posted back to Steve and heard nothing further after he mentioned meeting for a beer. His setting don't permit me to PM him. FYI, I imported my T5 to Victoria using a Hamburg-based broker. Working with another Victoria T5 owner to share and support parts and service sources.
cheers, Doug

View attachment 88005
Definitely thumbs up for importing one from over-seas! And especially when preferring these over the local RV's. Really good looking T5. Interesting how I missed one T5GP by an hour or two last April from this same dealer.

Most likely there's good possibilities for cheaper Ro-Ro freight from Europe to North-America - especially now when manufacturer's can't build new vehicles to meet the demand - so ships can't be full. But naturally container is much safer for avoiding any transportation damage and/or lost accessories.
valk3.jpg

Definitely thumbs up for importing one from over-seas! And especially when preferring these over the local RV's. Really good looking T5. Interesting how I missed one T5GP by an hour or two last April from this same dealer.

Most likely there's good possibilities for cheaper Ro-Ro freight from Europe to North-America - especially now when manufacturer's can't build new vehicles to meet the demand - so ships can't be full. But naturally container is much safer for avoiding any transportation damage and/or lost accessories.
View attachment 88205
Pauli,
Given the increased costs of containers at present, I think that would have likely squashed the whole venture. Ro-ro opportunities to this west coast side of Canada were few and the most common is a lengthly rail transport from east coast or Montreal. The closest North American competition to the California is a "Tofino" built on/into a dodge Rammaster van - very few used and a new one is a good step over $100,000 plus taxes - figure $115,000 to get on the road.

Hi there,
I had planned a trip to USA/CAN with my VW California T5. This for appox. a period of 4 months starting in April. Actually it was planned for this year but we posponed it to 2023 (corona is still a game-breaker). I'm thinking about eithter to take my T5 back to Holland or selling it in Canada (were our trip ends). We allways enjoyed our trips in Europe (mainly Holland, Germany and France) with our Cally but are now looking for a fixed bed camper.
Can anyone give me advise about selling it in Canada?
  1. is it price technical interesting?
  2. Are there any special things I should think about?
  3. Emission rules? (my cally doesn't have an particulate filter)
  4. people with experience in buying VW California's (Org. Westfaila 144.231Km)
Best regards,

Hi there,
I had planned a trip to USA/CAN with my VW California T5. This for appox. a period of 4 months starting in April. Actually it was planned for this year but we posponed it to 2023 (corona is still a game-breaker). I'm thinking about eithter to take my T5 back to Holland or selling it in Canada (were our trip ends). We allways enjoyed our trips in Europe (mainly Holland, Germany and France) with our Cally but are now looking for a fixed bed camper.
Can anyone give me advise about selling it in Canada?
  1. is it price technical interesting?
  2. Are there any special things I should think about?
  3. Emission rules? (my cally doesn't have an particulate filter)
  4. people with experience in buying VW California's (Org. Westfaila 144.231Km)
Best regards,
Due to tarif rules brought in to protect the three largest North American auto makers, some years back (2003) VW stopped bringing in new light trucks and Westfalias. Recent changes by Canada's Transport Canada allow for importation of any vehicle at least 15 years by month and year (25 years in the US & nearly impossible for California). The vehicle has to meet provincial safety inspection in the province to which it is imported. Common items of brakes, structure/rust, and emissions equipment are checked. Critical is that air bags and engine check light are operating and without error codes.There are a few imported T5s in Canada - I estimate perhaps 6-10 across the whole country. As there are no recent new vehicles since 2003, older Vanagons and T4 Westfalias remain popular and still command high prices. My T5 attracts attention at any 'shine and show' events as few have seen or heard of the new version of a VW camper. My 2005 T5 Ocean, no accidents, rust free, service history and 197,000 cost $3,100 of import duties and taxes, and $2,800 for brokerage and containerization from Hamburg. All told I have approx, $50,000 CDN tied up in the vehicle. A friend who acquired one through a Quebec importer spent somewhat more for one, same year, mileage. Given the lack of local knowledge and awareness I believe a quick sale for a good price would be difficult to achieve. Anyone handling the sale has to cover their own cost and commission. VW Canada is not particularly helpful and expensive for parts. I've brought in parts from Germany (stainless steel exhaust system), steering arms and ball joints from UK and other bits from Latvia. Some engine parts are shared with North American imported Touareg (2003-2010) and some Audi models. I would ensure my water pump and alternator/air con elastic couplings are in good shape before setting out as although those parts are available here, most mechanics are not familiar with doing these jobs due to rarity. There is no problem of not having a particulate filter (mine has only Euro 4 catalyst converter) as a visitor. There have been a number of other European visitors with their Californias. As a visitor you can bring any year of vehicle if you are not intending to import the vehicle at the end of your trip.

Lft Frnt 3-4_6935.jpg

Due to tarif rules brought in to protect the three largest North American auto makers, some years back (2003) VW stopped bringing in new light trucks and Westfalias. Recent changes by Canada's Transport Canada allow for importation of any vehicle at least 15 years by month and year (25 years in the US & nearly impossible for California). The vehicle has to meet provincial safety inspection in the province to which it is imported. Common items of brakes, structure/rust, and emissions equipment are checked. Critical is that air bags and engine check light are operating and without error codes.There are a few imported T5s in Canada - I estimate perhaps 6-10 across the whole country. As there are no recent new vehicles since 2003, older Vanagons and T4 Westfalias remain popular and still command high prices. My T5 attracts attention at any 'shine and show' events as few have seen or heard of the new version of a VW camper. My 2005 T5 Ocean, no accidents, rust free, service history and 197,000 cost $3,100 of import duties and taxes, and $2,800 for brokerage and containerization from Hamburg. All told I have approx, $50,000 CDN tied up in the vehicle. A friend who acquired one through a Quebec importer spent somewhat more for one, same year, mileage. Given the lack of local knowledge and awareness I believe a quick sale for a good price would be difficult to achieve. Anyone handling the sale has to cover their own cost and commission. VW Canada is not particularly helpful and expensive for parts. I've brought in parts from Germany (stainless steel exhaust system), steering arms and ball joints from UK and other bits from Latvia. Some engine parts are shared with North American imported Touareg (2003-2010) and some Audi models. I would ensure my water pump and alternator/air con elastic couplings are in good shape before setting out as although those parts are available here, most mechanics are not familiar with doing these jobs due to rarity. There is no problem of not having a particulate filter (mine has only Euro 4 catalyst converter) as a visitor. There have been a number of other European visitors with their Californias. As a visitor you can bring any year of vehicle if you are not intending to import the vehicle at the end of your trip.

View attachment 88433
We were thinking of importing out T6 van to do 3 months touring of USA and Canada. All doable but with the crisis in overseas shipping the ro-ro cost from UK and back suddenly hit £5000 + shipping insurance return. That put an end to that trip. Shame! If we could have extended to 6 months it would be worth it but the other half was not keen enough to live in a small metal box for that long. Maybe when shipping costs fall - not holding my breath!

We were thinking of importing out T6 van to do 3 months touring of USA and Canada. All doable but with the crisis in overseas shipping the ro-ro cost from UK and back suddenly hit £5000 + shipping insurance return. That put an end to that trip. Shame! If we could have extended to 6 months it would be worth it but the other half was not keen enough to live in a small metal box for that long. Maybe when shipping costs fall - not holding my breath!
Yes, can imagine that the cost of shipping would become increasingly expensive with Covid. The cost of a 20ft. container and loading at the time of my booking in Oct 2020 was about $2,200 CDN. I've seen reports of costs for the same now 4 - 5X, which would make the whole process unaffordable for me. It is also crippling many small businesses. Fedex and DHL are making out like bandits with their rates today.

@Doug Curran
Hi Doug, I just joined the forum after seeing that you have some experience in importing a camper. I just posted in the new member's introduction thread. I'm in Montreal, and thinking about getting my 2003 California over here from France. Looking for advice basically

@Doug Curran
Hi Doug, I just joined the forum after seeing that you have some experience in importing a camper. I just posted in the new member's introduction thread. I'm in Montreal, and thinking about getting my 2003 California over here from France. Looking for advice basically
James, I am in the process of helping several people here with importing a California to Canada. You write that it is your own T5 you are importing, so it is a far less onerous task than required in finding a suitable vehicle, paying for it and then getting it shipped. I used a Hamburg broker as after finding a vehicle I needed to arrange payment and shipping. The broker I used, Mathjis Muller of Optima Global GmbH. Here is their website: www.optima-cars.com
Mathjis can collect the vehicle, book passage/container, prepare the landing documents (in co-ordination with a Canadian customs broker. He will also pressure wash the vehicle to ensure no foreign material is attached - a critical element of clearing Canada Customs.
Shipping is expensive these days due to Covid, but it may be that Montreal handles "Roll-on, Roll-off" ships, which makes for cheaper and convenient shipping than a container. Get full insurance for the shipping leg. Again Muller can handle that for you.
Once the vehicle lands it is a simple matter of taking the landing documents and your ownership papers to CBS offices and filling out a simple one-page importation form, pay the GST and assessed value taxes and off you go to to get the vehicle inspected for Quebec roadworthy. This may be where you have the most trouble. I would ensure that the vehicle is in top mechanical shape before sending it off from France. Engine Check Light must be operating, with no faults, brakes, shocks, suspension bushings, wiper blades, etc.

Because these vehicles are new imports there are virtually no parts here in Canada. I've developed lots of resources, with good prices, from Lithuania, Latvia, Germany and UK, but shipping has become expensive. VW Canada is stupidly expensive and really doesn't care to order parts for you. Forget them. Here is a website that contains every vehicle and parts for every VW/Audi vehicle: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/ Find your model and year in the listings and then go to the exploded diagrams by parts grouping. It will give you the specific part numbers, as well as where this part was used on other VW/Audi vehicles, years and countries. In the 'Aftermarket' toggle you can find equivalent parts from aftermarket manufacturers. This website is your Bible.

There is a vehicle importer in St. Hyacinthe who may be able to help you, but I would resist the urge to use his mechanics or consider buying anything from him. This is after seeing the butcher work they did on an imported T5 from France and charged top dollar - most of the work has had to be redone and much time spent investigating patchy work.

You will have to swap out the 220 volt charger/converter under the wardrobe and the plug connections, but you can leave the wiring and circuit breakers in place. Buy a 20 Amp Victron unit to replace it. A good auto electric shop will have no problem with the work, but get Victron for the charger - they run much cooler and efficiently and in the space under the fridge you want cool operating as heat kills converters.

You can find other people to handle the shipping overall, but my recommend is based on my experience and how convoluted the paperwork process is. This is not the place to be looking for the cheapest service - you don't want the pain and delays arising from inadequate paperwork. More later: dougcurran@telus.net

Hi all,

Steve
Hello Steve, Did you give up on importing a T5 to Canada? There are now two of them in Victoria. Drop a line if this gets to you. cheers, Dougemail Hunger Valley camp.jpg