Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Ocean 6.1 Configuration Help

M

Marc_Fu

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello!

So after many moons of air cooled VW's, we are going to take the plunge and order an Ocean 6.1 4motion. It has been a long time coming and we are very excited, so thanks in advance for any help on this thread.

Started to have a look over the configuration app on the VW site and instantly got overwhelmed with all the options and choices.

I wondered if there is any advice that people could offer when ordering a 4motion Ocean. It is a really big deal to us ordering our dream van and we don't want to miss a trick or regret not adding something or a specific combination etc.

Any tips welcome from aesthetics to technical details and specs.

Do's and don'ts?

Any tips or example configurations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

:welcome
Exciting times, love the feeling of deciding on spec and ordering. You’ll get 101 opinions on what to order and what not, but I genuinely think you can’t really go wrong as long as you don’t scrimp on a few quid if you’re not sure. Colours are a personal choice and I don’t think any of them are bad come resale time; some may just be a bit more popular, that’s all. And you can drop a load of cash on getting all the options, but the basic spec is pretty good frankly and you won’t want for a lot. So my thoughts would be to get what you want, don’t worry too much about what others think - and be prepared for a long wait.
Plenty already out there on this topic, use the search function top right of the page.
Good luck, and enjoy.

So much is standard on the UK 6.1 Ocean you don't need to worry too much.

Tow bar? Useful for a tow bar mounted bike rack, wish I had one of these years ago.

The wait is likely to be very long, be prepared for that.

Good luck!

don't get heated rear window (deletes the double glazing).
don't get comfort seats (deletes the swivel function ) . although i'm thinking VW sorted that cock up ?
don't spec the torch. waste of money.
if you think you will get a tow bar then at least get the prep at the factory.
good luck

We've had a few 4Motions over the years, and have just had our T6.1 delivery confirmed.
Having spent more than a few hours deliberating over the ideal spec, for us. Here's our Options, and the reason we tick the various option boxes.

Indium Grey Metallic paint ----resale.
17"×7j Woodstocks----free upgrade.
4 keys. Convert one to a surfer key.
235/55 All Weather tyers----- softer ride.
Diff Lock-----resale.
Hill descent-----final bit of 4Mo, spec-----cheap
Discovery Media Pro---- a useful toy.
Safe Box----Sue loves security.
Traffic Sign Recognition----hopfully a useful toy.
£2505 + 2.5%(new price) + VAT

Plus Extended Warranty and Service Plan.

Dealer fit accessories carry a 5-year warranty if ordered with the initial Vehicle Order. Only 12 months if added subsequently.

Automatic cruise control (ACC) standard on T6.1.

9 years research in one posting.

As stated above the Cali is very nicely spec'd as is.

Perhaps the 80L fuel tank is a good option for those extra miles and fewer stops.

I would suggest not bothering with the power sliding door.

Agree Sunstoner, from my experience would not recommend the power closing door. Someone has posted that the manual door on the T6.1 is improved over the T6 and is very good.
Some orders including the 80l tank on 4Motions are getting rejected because of payload problems.

Hello!

So after many moons of air cooled VW's, we are going to take the plunge and order an Ocean 6.1 4motion. It has been a long time coming and we are very excited, so thanks in advance for any help on this thread.

Started to have a look over the configuration app on the VW site and instantly got overwhelmed with all the options and choices.

I wondered if there is any advice that people could offer when ordering a 4motion Ocean. It is a really big deal to us ordering our dream van and we don't want to miss a trick or regret not adding something or a specific combination etc.

Do's and don'ts?

Thanks, Marc
When using the configurator click "show standard equipment" frequently to see what effect your choices have had and what's been deleted. You would think that standard equipment would be static but superceded standard equipment is shown as deleted.

A lot of options are poorly labelled, eg "cupboards in graphite grey with shower" which if you look at the before and after effects using "show standard equipment" you'll see deletes the standard "cupboards in graphite grey". So this option is really a shower.

Research the weight issues others have had ordering the 4 motion Ocean as that could possibly delay your order.

Last edited:
Hello!

Do's and don'ts?

Thanks, Marc
Exciting times!
Drive the Deal or Autoebid will get you around 10% discount off your California and its options. For me that meant free rein on the options list - about £8k ‘free’ - twisted logic.
If you like the looks of the Sports Pack or the Style Pack, they are better value than the configurator let’s on ... they both include factory laminated glass in the cab (better noise and perhaps heat insulation) and a darker tint in the living area (factory code Z2C which costs about £760 on its own).
If you have a dog or intend to get muddy yourself, the shower is a good option for boots and a bit of fun.
Agree if you can get the 80L fuel tank in the weight limit, it’s a cheap no-brainer. Might save the day when you’re hammering back to the ferry across France one day? And the heater is fuelled by diesel (doesn’t use much though).
One other thing: if you’re tempted by the 2-tone paint you can save a lot of money by ordering Candy White for £300 (or even Ascot Grey for free) and wrapping the lower half in a colour of your choice. Protects the factory paint from stone chips at the same time.
Enjoy spec’ing it...and then prepare to wait patiently...

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys! Still getting to grips with this site, so apologies if this type of thread has been exhausted already. We genuinely appreciate all your tips so far and some of them are already proving invaluable.

A "basic" T6.1 Ocean has the same level of specification as what would have been described as a fully optioned up T5 / T6 18months ago.

If you ordered one with no options other than a choice of paint you couldn't go far wrong.

If in doubt fit a towbar as you won't save anything by getting it done later.

Wheel/tyre choice - either standard wheels or Davenport for easier cleaning plus All Season tyres.
I'd avoid the diamond cut style if intending to keep the Cali for a number of years as these are very prone to the diamond cut area corroding.
If intending to fit bigger wheels then get standard ones (come with a spare wheel) then buy wheels/tyres later. Sell the 17" wheels for approx £500.

Hill descent and Diff lock aren't essential and probably will never get used.

Worth considering the Driving Profile Selection as this has the ability to vary the suspension damping to suit the road type and surface and your own preferences.

Towbar seems to be weight issue with the 4motion. Most Towbar suppliers don't use the VW Towbar prep so not essential.

Rear View Camera comes with the trailer assist package for some odd VW reason. A must have to ensure nothing hidden behind when reversing. Some Insurances may require one.

Direct tyre monitoring system. it has actual tyre pressure sensors inside the tyre, standard system uses the ABS sensor detecting a wheel rotation mismatch with other wheels.
If intending to change wheels later just have standard as you can add a true TPMS such as Tyrepal to the new wheels.

Mudflaps

Anything else is covered elsewhere.

Have fun!

Rear View Camera comes with the trailer assist package for some odd VW reason. A must have to ensure nothing hidden behind when reversing. Some Insurances may require one.

Rear view camera is already standard on the Ocean, its one of those options where they show it against trailer assist to make you think you are getting more for your money.

I understand the trailer assist lets you move the guide lines on the rear view camera display to where you want the trailer to end up & the self parking function will then deal with the steering to suite.

You tube link below for a Tourag demonstration but works the same on the van

Last edited:
Rear view camera is already standard on the Ocean, its one of those options where they show it against trailer assist to make you think you are getting more for your money.

I understand the trailer assist lets you move the guide lines on the rear view camera display to where you want the trailer to end up & the self parking function will then deal with the steering to suite.

You tube link below for a Tourag demonstration but works the same on the van
T6.1 Config. seems to be full of those options where it lists items that are already standard as an addition, guess it's because someone is too idle to do a true California list merely change the Commercial Van option list to nearly suit.

recall the 'no you don't or can't have that option, regardless of the online config. showing it' statement by the VW salesman at order time. So nothing changes.

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time going through this. All I’d add is:

TPMS
Mudflaps
Comfort Matress
High Beam Assist
Paint

It’s so well spec’d as others have said, even one with no options is going to be great.

Removable tow bar and a nice set of Alloys,
Buy a second set of cheaper wheels and winter spec tyres for the cold, wet, salty pot holed months.

Removable tow bar and a nice set of Alloys,
Buy a second set of cheaper wheels and winter spec tyres for the cold, wet, salty pot holed months.

The free 17” ones that can be chosen in configurator are really nice.

The free 17” ones that can be chosen in configurator are really nice.
Agree, Woodstock’s ordered for us, and going to get a set of black Davenport style wheels for the winter months

Back