Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Ocean fresh water tank

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I wonder if someone can clarify if when emptying the fresh water tank on the 2018 Ocean the water runs out behind a plastic shield where the spare tyre fits. On my Ocean it wets all the bolts that hold the spare wheel in and over time this will probably rust the bolts. Should the water run behind the cover wetting everything? I am wondering if a pipe has not been pushed through the shield like the waste tank pipe during manufacture and is loose behind the shield??

Any help is welcome.

Yes i can , it's becose the drain is hidden behind the underbodyprotection .
Wetting everything....? Do you never ride the Cali in the rain?
All things normal , lots been said about this in other treads .
A tipical newbee Q don't worry .

Yes i can , it's becose the drain is hidden behind the underbodyprotection .
Wetting everything....? Do you never ride the Cali in the rain?
All things normal , lots been said about this in other treads .
A tipical newbee Q don't worry .
Thankyou

FYI , the waste water does drain out nice thru a pipe just in front of the left rear wheel...
;)
Don't ask why VW did not do thesame with the freshwater drain:headbang

FYI , the waste water does drain out nice thru a pipe just in front of the left rear wheel...
;)
May because fresh water dripping down could actually remove some deposits of dirt and film that hold moisture and accelerate corrosion.
A bit of a long shot I know but if the dripping fresh water does have enough velocity to remove build ups you in a better place to avoid corrosion than with moisture held in by dirt.

;)

That’s because the fresh water drain is also the gas vent Incase of a leaking gas bottle or regulator. So it has to meet the gas regs.

That’s because the fresh water drain is also the gas vent Incase of a leaking gas bottle or regulator. So it has to meet the gas regs.
What would happen it you extended the drain pipe a few inches
and fed it through the hole in the undercover panel.

Wrong , take a look at the diagram above .

It would be difficult to extend the vent as it is held in by a Tbar and a m6 nut which screws through the floor of the vehicle. The best idea would be to drill a 50mm hole through the plastic undershild directly under the vent, it will not do any harm to any part of the vehicle as there is a void directly behind the plastic.

Wrong , take a look at the diagram above .

Actually correct I spend my whole life working on these vehicles you are correct that water flows out through 21 it then drops through 38 the gas vent and outlet for the water drain that’s why the water goes all over the back when it drains.

Well @Vw guru , how does the gas drop-out then actually works ?
Thats one where we have had been talking about before here on the forum?

If you know that much regarding Cali's you will be a busy man on the forum as you can shed a light on many unsolved Q's :thumb

I think i´ve seen a modification using a small funnel
type piece and a short hose.

Hi @hotel california its not really that exciting the basic idea behind the vent is that camping gas is roughly 1.5 times heavier than air so it falls to the lowest point. The gas as I’m sure everyone is aware on the Cali is secured inside the fresh water tank and becomes sealed in once the lid is on, this is done for two reasons 1 space saving 2 to maintain a constant cool area in which the gas is safe if there is a leak at the bottle or regulator the gas will naturally fall to the lowest point and drop through the vent to atmosphere keeping every one safe.

I think i´ve seen a modification using a small funnel
type piece and a short hose.

Yes that could also work as long as the vent is never actually blocked. Space would be needed so the water could drop into the funnel from the vent.

So it's a waterdrain and gas dropout in one piece , always thought it was separate .
Gas dropping to lowest point , ect...we all knew

Yes it’s all one piece screws directly to the bottom of the water tank for gas out and there is a piped conection to the drain tap. I will post a picture the next time I have one apart.

Just run the sink tap until the feed tank is empty and then empty the waste tank if it overly bothers you.

Back