Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California ocean lowered

Should have said - we have 16inch wheels and when loaded up did feel a little better.

I think the biggest difference between your 2 vehicles is where you live and the roads you regularly travel.
Bad enough with standard suspension.

Agreed. After driving with clenched teeth (and the rest), one of the first things I did after purchase was to remove the lowering springs fitted by the previous owner and restore standard VW springs - what an (ironic?) improvement! Each to their own ...

Just to give you all an update - I bought some 235 wide 17inch wheels which run 14 psi lower than the 16 inch wheels and it has made a massive difference much less crashy. I guess in my instance the mega pressure 16 wheels made the difference. Going to stick with the lowered springs so if anyone needs some standard once let me know. It also looks loads better :0)

Thanks so much for the help and advice

Just to give you all an update - I bought some 235 wide 17inch wheels which run 14 psi lower than the 16 inch wheels and it has made a massive difference much less crashy. I guess in my instance the mega pressure 16 wheels made the difference. Going to stick with the lowered springs so if anyone needs some standard once let me know. It also looks loads better :0)

Thanks so much for the help and advice
Make sure you have a Jack that will fit or else make sure you have a current membership of a Breakdown Organisation.
A member who had his tyre deflated in Barcelona couldn't get his Jack to fit, nor get the spare off on his lowered California.

Make sure you have a Jack that will fit or else make sure you have a current membership of a Breakdown Organisation.
A member who had his tyre deflated in Barcelona couldn't get his Jack to fit, nor get the spare off on his lowered California.
Good point, that never occurred to me to check. Thanks for the prompt :)
I just tried the standard jack on my MY2017 Ocean (VW lowered by 30mm) and am happy there's enough clearance at front and rear jacking points allowing for a bit of rough ground, flat tyre and some extra load. That's with VW spec 18" wheels and tyres though so the flattened tyre creates less drop than smaller wheels
Makes sense to check to avoid being stranded somewhere with no phone signal :)

Hi sidepod.

To Quote T4WFA on June 3 2016.

I thought we'd now established that these do raise the height of the Cali (TommyGun's Alison F's recent post comparing 2 x T6's. One with, one without heavy duty roll bars). Takes it over the 2m point, and makes quite a visual difference - but the added ground clearance is valuable for some.

Just quoting some info from the forum.
Perhaps as the HD bars have a different section they reduce the slump in the suspension and thus make the vehicle sit slightly higher?
Oh I do love a suspension discussion. Given how an anti roll bar works - as a torsion spring acting to control movement across the vehicle when one wheel is in compression relative to the opposing wheel - I'd love to know the exact why of why it increases height. I'm OCD like that lol.

Suspension discussions certainly get the juices flowing and seem to divide us all. Quick question on this is.... van style sell a 30mm lowering Spring which is an Eibach Pro for Cali's and say it will be fine in a DSG 4 motion but they won't fit it for free as they do a 2 WD. But does anyone know the difference between these Eibach Pro 30 MM. And the VW stock 30mm that have been quoted on various chats on here ZGB7H0071677A. Many thx.

I'm pretty sure the VW sportline springs are Eibach, for a 4MO you are advised to get the extra load kit

Thanks Mr T. Appreciate it mate. I'm pretty sure they are Eibach as well. Does any one know if they are the same as the Eibach Pro.

I think there is only one and that is the pro kit, but two versions, one for the smaller motor 1.9 - 2lt and one for the bigger 2.5

ZGB7H0071677A is the heavier duty of the two VW options and is Eibach. Sorry I don't know any more than that though. I'll have a look at the box they came in and post if there's any more info.

Thanks Skinner D. I spoke to the Norwich VW van centre today who were mega helpful. The code is definitely the heavier spring of the 2 and fits a DSG 4 MO. I'm still interested if the Pro ones are different and what the difference is as they are both Eibach 30mm.

Thanks Skinner D. I spoke to the Norwich VW van centre today who were mega helpful. The code is definitely the heavier spring of the 2 and fits a DSG 4 MO. I'm still interested if the Pro ones are different and what the difference is as they are both Eibach 30mm.
It's probably not any more help but just in case here's the label on the box that mine came in.

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_085444642.jpg
    IMG_20170927_085444642.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 45
Nice One Skinnee D. These are definitely the same ones that ive ordered.. Still no idea if the Pro version are any different - lol - But I would like to keep them VW anyway for warentees etc, Thanks for all your help.

Jamie
Did you get the lowering springs done...?

Hi Mate. They're paid for and sat in the VW dealer waiting for me to pick them up thanks. They were super helpful once I gave them the part number and double checked they were ok for a 4 motion.

You had yours done mate. ???

I have another question. Once done the ride will obviously be a bit harder. I know the speedometer would be slightly out - but a pal of mine says he just put larger than recommended tyres on his and the drive is superb. I think he put 255/55 on instead of 255/45. He knows it's about 5 mph out but gives him that big chunky tyre look he wanted and a smoother ride. ???

Hi Mate. They're paid for and sat in the VW dealer waiting for me to pick them up thanks. They were super helpful once I gave them the part number and double checked they were ok for a 4 motion.

You had yours done mate. ???

I have another question. Once done the ride will obviously be a bit harder. I know the speedometer would be slightly out - but a pal of mine says he just put larger than recommended tyres on his and the drive is superb. I think he put 255/55 on instead of 255/45. He knows it's about 5 mph out but gives him that big chunky tyre look he wanted and a smoother ride. ???
Hi buddy
I don't know if I have missed something as I have not read the full thread? just the last few posts but if your lowering your van why do you think it will affect the speedo??
Also I would not go larger on tyre size you need to try to stick to the same rolling radius?
Sorry if I'm getting crossed wires here??

Hi Mate. Apologies. I've confused everyone. I'm good at that.
I don't think that lowering will effect the speedo. I was asking a new question. As lowering will make it a slightly harder ride. So I was just asking if anyone had fitted bigger tyres (as above) to soften the ride and achieve that fuller wheel arch look on 18s. A pal of mine did it and loves the look and ride with no issues ????

Hi Mate. Apologies. I've confused everyone. I'm good at that.
I don't think that lowering will effect the speedo. I was asking a new question. As lowering will make it a slightly harder ride. So I was just asking if anyone had fitted bigger tyres (as above) to soften the ride and achieve that fuller wheel arch look on 18s. A pal of mine did it and loves the look and ride with no issues ????
Hey buddy
No worries
If you go up a size it will 100 percent affect the speedo by a few mph and you will feel it,,look on wheel conversion charts on google,they will help keep it as near as possible
I wouldn't go big to be honest but it's your van after all I think the lowered springs and 17"or 18" look is good on standard size tyres
I just sold my Kombi highline on 20s with bilstien coilovers wound right down, and the look is stunning....wish I could do this to my Cali but on a Cali until it's out of warranty I'd keep it as it should be!
So if something happened they can not throw at you that you have the wrong tyres fitted, and that's why ur drivetrain is shot !!!!
Just my opinion obviously

Can i ask a quick question to those who have had the vw lowering springs fitted - did VW do a 4wheel alignment when fitting to ensure the camber / toe / caster (if adjustable) was all in line afterwards?

Having spent a lot of time with sports cars, kit cars etc, a 30mm lowering of any car/van will affect things, so just wondered if they sort it too?

Hi Jamie
Personally I would keep the rolling radius the same.
255/45/18 is the closest match.
Yes the tyre wall is smaller however the tyre is wider which will help compensate the slight drop.

I have run 18s for nearly 5 years on my Beach and all has been fine, ride quality hasn’t been much different to the 16s. Slightly harder, but not massively.

Unfortunately I do have my first cracked alloy. First in 7 years of running 18s.
I have the 16s back on for the moment, but want the 18s back.
Had the crack repaired, but noticed the alloys look very tired. So thinking of getting a new set of 18s and also lowering the van.

Next decision is, new shocks and springs as I have over 50k on the clock. Or just get some new springs...?

Can i ask a quick question to those who have had the vw lowering springs fitted - did VW do a 4wheel alignment when fitting to ensure the camber / toe / caster (if adjustable) was all in line afterwards?

Having spent a lot of time with sports cars, kit cars etc, a 30mm lowering of any car/van will affect things, so just wondered if they sort it too?
The back is fixed and cannot be adjusted
I would advise the re check the tracking on the front though