Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California replacement exhaust

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys, my VW California 4motion year 2008 exhaust needs replacing as it was picked up as being rusty on its recent mot test however my usual car parts supplier has let me down by suppling the wrong exhaust and claims that their manufacturer is out of stock of the correct parts, basically what I’m saying is who would you guys use for a replacement exhaust supplier as I’m needing one ASAP, I’ve contacted our local Vw commercial dealer parts dept and the lady there filled me with confidence as she didn’t actually understand what sections I need but told me some of it would be £500 plus........any help would be much appreciated....Janno

Hi Guys, my VW California 4motion year 2008 exhaust needs replacing as it was picked up as being rusty on its recent mot test however my usual car parts supplier has let me down by suppling the wrong exhaust and claims that their manufacturer is out of stock of the correct parts, basically what I’m saying is who would you guys use for a replacement exhaust supplier as I’m needing one ASAP, I’ve contacted our local Vw commercial dealer parts dept and the lady there filled me with confidence as she didn’t actually understand what sections I need but told me some of it would be £500 plus........any help would be much appreciated....Janno

Is your exhaust actually perforated, or simply 'rusty'? It's not worth replacing really unless its actually failed it's MOT as with light corrosion an exhaust can last for quite some time.

Stainless is a pretty good solution - fit and forget (for at least 30 years), I fitted one recently but I'd definitely recommend having it tailor made for your Cali as I bought my PP Tuning system pre-made and it catches the underbody in a few places despite trying to persuade it otherwise.

There are a few "make while you wait" stainless fitters, I have had a couple of great systems made in the past and then they last forever.

As @mrcheesbrough says - has it actually failed an mot or is blowing? The factory exhaust is double skinned. The outer skin rots and looks awful but isn't a fail unless the inner skin has gone too (which it must at some point.... But it's not often discussed here)

As @mrcheesbrough says - has it actually failed an mot or is blowing? The factory exhaust is double skinned. The outer skin rots and looks awful but isn't a fail unless the inner skin has gone too (which it must at some point.... But it's not often discussed here)

I would confirm that view.
My 2010 exhaust has been an advisory for a couple of years now, just because the outer skin has rusted.
It is not blowing, so the van has passed the MOT every time.

I too would go for a stainless one now.

Alan

I have used Cybox on the Wirral in the past for stainless system they do custom fits as well as an off the shelf T5 system with hidden tailpipes or sporty twin types as well as side exit! The one I got was standard and it was perfect. Around £300 I seem to remember. Service excellent too. https://www.cybox.co.uk.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, I’ve booked into PP tuning for a single straight through stainless steel exhaust fitted by themselves next week....just got to decide on which tailpipe single round, single oval, twin round, twin oval etc etc

Not often discussed suggests it's not something that happens very often - my Cali is 2007 and has had no exhaust advisory yet.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, I’ve booked into PP tuning for a single straight through stainless steel exhaust fitted by themselves next week....just got to decide on which tailpipe single round, single oval, twin round, twin oval etc etc

I hope you like the noise it makes. Straight through on a diesel ?

II have had the same experience on a 2002 Golf ( still has its original system ) It has had a rusty outer skin for many years , but always passes the MOT. Speaking to the MOT tester he said it is no problem, not an MOT failure, only if it leaks, but if you take it to a VW dealer they will probably recommend on changing exhaust system.

Stainless steel systems resonate which can be be very annoying. A normal fact of the stainless tube. A good supplier will have designed that out.
Remember that an exhaust outlet that is under the bumper will reduce the rear ground clearance and may be likely to bump kerbs when parking. Can look good but...

I hope you like the noise it makes. Straight through on a diesel ?
Contrary to popular believe a 'straight through' exhaust isn't always louder. Yes the sound is different, in our case the volume was no more noticeable but the note changed to what I can only describe as more 'wuffly'. Certainly not unpleasant, and certainly not something that requires having a 'special' love for the engine noise of a diesel. Have a read of the 'Exhaust Theory' section on PP Tunings website it's very interesting and dispels a number of myths.

Contrary to popular believe a 'straight through' exhaust isn't always louder. Yes the sound is different, in our case the volume was no more noticeable but the note changed to what I can only describe as more 'wuffly'. Certainly not unpleasant, and certainly not something that requires having a 'special' love for the engine noise of a diesel. Have a read of the 'Exhaust Theory' section on PP Tunings website it's very interesting and dispels a number of myths.

I have built a few. The thing is a baffle exhaust will sound the same for its whole life but a straight through will get noisier as the wadding starts to breakdown which always happens, the only good diesel sound is the inaudible one imo.

Straight through exhausts tend to struggle with high frequency like high rev supercharged v tech motors produce so not a diesel problem I agree.

When I built my own exhausts I tended to mix baffled and straight through but these were on high performance petrol engines.

So hearing the OP is thinking single straight through I feared the worst but I guess the cat and dpf are still there.

Consider that a stainless exhaust resonates as BJG has stated plus it is also susceptible to potential stress corrosion cracking from chlorides at elevated temperatures above about 70c. For this reason and some other metalurgical nasties I wont go into here the top flight manifolds are made of Inconel not stainless steel. Again diesel runs colder so may well get away with it.

Personally I would stick with the aluminised OE exhaust which Im doubtful is really had it on a 2009 cali anyway.

Hi Guys, just a quick update, had a new straight through stainless steel exhaust manufactured and fitted today by PPTuning in Louth Lincs. I must say I am well chuffed with it, they really are a quality manufacturing/engineering based company working to a very high standard. My fitted exhaust is only very very slightly noisier than the origional standard fitted Volkswagen exhaust, I’m sure most folk wouldn’t notice any difference, there is no noticeable resinence. They also offer a fair few tail pipes to boot.....I’m well pleased and have booked my Merc C class amg in for as/s exhaust......Janno

Reactions: Loz
How much was it please @Janno ?

thanks - sounds like a reasonably good result :thumb

The exhaust for a 2008 5 pot engine is completely different to the later 4 pot engines, different price?

The exhaust for a 2008 5 pot engine is completely different to the later 4 pot engines, different price?
Hi John, I not sure if the price would change, probs best to give them a call as they are very up on Volkswagons and they make up the complete exhaust themselves....Janno

I fancy a twin each side set up on my T6 to give it a more beast look

Yes I saw that but at that price I'd want to keep my rear sensors included and not have to pay extra on top
might be a problem with regards to requiring a heat shield for the left, water tank above and plastic under trim.

Back