Votes: 0 0.0%
  • roof problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

Itinerant

Vehicle
Just browsing
I am thinking of buying a 2.0 2012 California with 57k miles at under £32k from a dealer. The AA test was good however the test did not include the roof mechanism because of a broken switch. So I have no idea of whether the mechanism or electrics etc. are faulty. Can the roof be raised manually? What are the worst case costs for replacing electrics/mechanism.

I understand it can be lowered manually, but I personally wouldn't be offering on it without the proviso that the electrics/roof are checked/fixed...

Have a search round the forum and the shop, you'll quickly find fixes for the control knob. If it's the whole control unit that's not working there may be fuses at fault (I wouldn't know which!) or a replacement or refurbishment on the cards...

You can get them repaired, by a company in Holland. Had mine repaired by them €130 I think. New one about £700

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I am thinking of buying a 2.0 2012 California with 57k miles at under £32k from a dealer. The AA test was good however the test did not include the roof mechanism because of a broken switch. So I have no idea of whether the mechanism or electrics etc. are faulty. Can the roof be raised manually? What are the worst case costs for replacing electrics/mechanism.
The dealer should fix this before you buy

Agree with the above not to buy until fully fixed and tested.
It might not be just the switch that's at fault, good way to disguise a failed hydraulic system.

Unless you have seen the roof deployed how would you know the canvas is not in tatters?
I would be very cautious indeed.
They definitely do (not) all do that, Sir.
Potentially an easy fix regards the control panel though.......good luck with it.

In a camper saying we cannot raise or lower the roof because it is broke is almost as bad as saying “we cannot road test the car because the engine is broke”.:sad

It is a fundamental part. Do not buy until you have it fixed, raised, inspected and lowered.

Last edited:

@Itinerant

There are two types of fault with the control panel, one related to the knob and one related to the display.

The eBay link is for a repair kit for the knob. If you have this fault, the display will be fine, but the knob does not work properly or at all. Basically the kit replaces part of the selection knob.

The second fault relates to the display - if there are lines missing from the display then the ribbon cables that connect the display to the main PCB are corroded. Look at this post https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/control-panel-electrical-fix-for-the-brave-and-competent.9326/ for instructions on how to fix and contact details for a company (mentioned earlier) who will fix it.

Edit: as others have said - get the dealer to fix before you buy.

That’s a suspiciously low price for a 2012. If it’s a 180hp, check you’ve understood the oil consumption issues that hits some of them. I know 2 examples of Oil supping Californias being traded into unexpecting dealers.

Edit: I found the van and see it’s listed as a 140, so no worries. It looks very good value. Check where it is up to on roof corrosion and if ok (ie registered and in the queue) then get a deposit stuck on it quickly on the proviso the roof control panel is sorted and undamaged underneath.

Edit edit: the roof is shown ‘up’ in the photos. How do they explain that? If the control panel is just jumpy, then the roof mechanism and canvas can still be tested and the panel replaced later.

Last edited:
Be aware that aftermarket warranties will not cover parts like this, so make sure its fixed properly prior to purchase. If it is indeed broken not just an incompetent AA tester.

In a camper saying we cannot raise or lower the roof because it is broke is almost as bad as saying “we cannot road test the car because the engine is broke”.:sad

It is a fundamental part. Do not buy until you have it fixed, raised, inspected and lowered.
@Itinerant, spot on comment from GJ. I'm sure I do not need to say this but just in case.....you, personally should witness the roof being raised, inspected (for rips, tears etc.) and lowered at their premises before agreeing anything.