Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California tailgate blind replacement

M

Mark Best

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am after the way to replace the rear tailgate blind on the T6 California. I’ve got the replacement blind but cannot see how it’s best to remove the original

I can’t speak for the T6 but I am looking at replacing one on a T5. The complete lower panel has to come off and the blind is diverted along its top and bottom edge to the plastic panel. Only way to remove the old one is still out the rivets. Don’t get them too hot though as they melt the plastic making the holes bigger.

I am after the way to replace the rear tailgate blind on the T6 California. I’ve got the replacement blind but cannot see how it’s best to remove the original
Hello Mark,
Did you manage to fit a new tail gate blind? We have some oily marks on ours and despite some soap and water (and a few other things) they refuse to shift.
Where did you get your replacement blind from? We have a 2017 T6 Ocean.
Thanks in advance
Glenn Foyster

I installed a rear view camera in my 2017 T6 Ocean a couple of months ago.

I had to remove the plastic panels etc., to gain access.

You'll need to do the same to remove/replace the blind.

Loads of fixings. All mostly visible from inside the rear panel once the chairs have been removed.

There are a few fixings that are partially hidden by black cloth rubbing strip. These are held in place with adhesive backing. If you feel inside you will find them.

The only problem fixings were those holding the hardboard sheet in place over the wiper motor, whereby they had seized. But you will not need to go this far.

There are 2 other fixings at the end of the blind assembly. I left these until the very end, as they hold everything in place.

If you can get a second pair of hands then you'll find this helpful, as the plastic panel is rather unwieldly once the fixings are removed.

Once the plastic panel is removed, you'll have easy access to the blind assembly.

Take a number of clear photos of the various fixings before removal, as there are quite a few and they do vary.

Good luck.

I installed a rear view camera in my 2017 T6 Ocean a couple of months ago.

I had to remove the plastic panels etc., to gain access.

You'll need to do the same to remove/replace the blind.

Loads of fixings. All mostly visible from inside the rear panel once the chairs have been removed.

There are a few fixings that are partially hidden by black cloth rubbing strip. These are held in place with adhesive backing. If you feel inside you will find them.

The only problem fixings were those holding the hardboard sheet in place over the wiper motor, whereby they had seized. But you will not need to go this far.

There are 2 other fixings at the end of the blind assembly. I left these until the very end, as they hold everything in place.

If you can get a second pair of hands then you'll find this helpful, as the plastic panel is rather unwieldly once the fixings are removed.

Once the plastic panel is removed, you'll have easy access to the blind assembly.

Take a number of clear photos of the various fixings before removal, as there are quite a few and they do vary.

Good luck.
Thanks Alan - now just o source a blind - if anyone has any ideas would be appreciated.