Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California tops the charts for residuals!

I think WE already knew that little secret though!

Revealed: The 20 new mainstream cars that will depreciate slowest
https://mol.im/a/7237713
Incredibly, value retention is far and above any other mainstream model, though this might be due to the comparatively small production output and niche market.
"Mainstream model" and "niche market", isn't that a fine example of an oxymoron?

17k units (VW figure) produced per year is certainly not a mainstream model by any benchmark and a small camper van is a niche market, so yes a great example of an oxymoron.

Clearly they need to use consistent annual mileages across the competing cars, but 60k miles in 3 years is obviously unusual in a Cali making the 3 year old value of £33,610 difficult to judge, but it feels pessimistic - making it an even clearer winner.

That's really good news to hear. True what it says about vw conversions though. Seem to be sooo many these days (or maybe i have just noticed that now i have a cali). Met friends today, and they said, look theres a white one exactly the same as yours. It was a transporter conversion so bored the absolute pants of them explaining what a California was and why it certainly wasnt the same as a transpoter conversion, "but how can you tell its a conversion from here" was the response "oooh i know, i just know!" ;-)

I think WE already knew that little secret though!

Revealed: The 20 new mainstream cars that will depreciate slowest
https://mol.im/a/7237713
In absolute monatary terms, any car that originally cost less than £20k, (and perhaps more), will depreciate less than a Cali over three years. Just saying, before we all go congratulating each other for the prudent investment we've made.

In absolute monatary terms, any car that originally cost less than £20k, (and perhaps more), will depreciate less than a Cali over three years. Just saying, before we all go congratulating each other for the prudent investment we've made.
Yes, a Dacia Logan might depreciate less than a Cali in terms of real money, but in terms of % of the actually RRP price to resale arter 3 years, think it would still top the charts. Comparing a £8k fiesta to a £50k cali isn't quite a fair comparison.

I don't think anyone bought their Cali with residuals in mind, it's just a lucky bonus! :)

Yes, a Dacia Logan might depreciate less than a Cali in terms of real money, but in terms of % of the actually RRP price to resale arter 3 years, think it would still top the charts. Comparing a £8k fiesta to a £50k cali isn't quite a fair comparison.
Thats why a residuals league table is not only pointless, but misleading.

over three years maybe, but over five years or more it might be pretty similar. My five year old £20k Skoda Octavia is now worth about £5k. i suspect in five years my (about to be delivered) £50k California will be worth maybe about £35k. Not that i care. as others have said, for me it is about the big fat smile.

I've been quite shocked by the number of people who've bought a small car (don't ask which cos I've forgotten!) which at about 7 years old has needed such expensive maintenance that it's not worth doing! Most of the cars I've had in my life have been at least 7 years old when I bought them!

Back