Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Waving

CharliFornia

CharliFornia

CharliFornia
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello all!
After much deliberation, ive only gone and bought my Cali.
First camping trip to the lakes was last week, 2.5'c and snow. I think the aux heater is my new best friend.
Looking forward to many more (slightly warmer) trips.
I'll wave when I pass!

Charlie.

Hello Charlie and welcome to the board.

Mike

Hello all!
After much deliberation, ive only gone and bought my Cali.
First camping trip to the lakes was last week, 2.5'c and snow. I think the aux heater is my new best friend.
Looking forward to many more (slightly warmer) trips.
I'll wave when I pass!

Charlie.
Welcome Charlie

Pity you didn't make the Eskdale meet the wee before we were basking in double figures by the end...
Enjoy your Cali :thumb

Welcome , glad you like your new toy....specially the aux.heater witch is a essential.

Welcome aboard - I too am one of a recent influx of pre-season n00bs, there is a lot of info here to absorb.

You're also lucky to have snow on your first trip out - 4Motion and the heater justified in one swoop!

Welcome! Waving to other Calis is a great thing unfortunately not so commen in our area/country :)

You've got one at just the right time of year.
Happy travelling

Welcome! Waving to other Calis is a great thing unfortunately not so commen in our area/country :)
I'll wave to any VW campervan....the challenge on a long drive is to see how many return waves I get.... I then work out the percentage...keeps me mentally challenged on a long trip (I love spreadsheets...)
I hope Cali drivers wave at others....we won't bite!:thefinger:thefinger:thumb

I am a serial waver.

If I don't see any other cali's then I widen the waving criteria to all other transporters,

If they are thin on the ground then all vans, lorries, buses, coaches, funny looking cars with blue lights and flashing signs that say "Douane .... Stop".............

My teenage sun gets really embarassed with my waving!
I love it when someone waves back :) :bananadance

Always wave when on holiday - somehow feel silly waving when just driving around locally - maybe I am just a grumpy git unless I am on holiday..... must book more holidays

We currently don't own a California but from this day forth we declare that we will endeavour wave to all VW campers, any age, any condition, all states of inebriation (them not us when camping).

:happy

We currently don't own a California but from this day forth we declare that we will endeavour wave to all VW campers, any age, any condition, all states of inebriation (them not us when camping).

:happy
I apologise in advance, but if you don't drive a transporter, I probably won't be waving at you, never mind peering in your window in the hope of seeing a cheery wave..!
Are you saying that on foot, or on bike as well as in your car, you are going to wave? I'll at least know who you are if I see some spurious person waving....you're a sport!

Umm, slightly off thread... a car over took me the other day and I think he assumed I was using my headlights to 'wave' him in as he went passed as he the used his indicators to 'flash' a thank you to me. Sadly, he hadn't released I was flashing because he had no headlights on in the darkening night... I spent the next 40 miles of the A90 looking for signs of an accident... Oh and passed at least another 2 numpties with no lights on coming the other way... Oh I how I hate the A90...

I apologise in advance, but if you don't drive a transporter, I probably won't be waving at you, never mind peering in your window in the hope of seeing a cheery wave..!
Are you saying that on foot, or on bike as well as in your car, you are going to wave? I'll at least know who you are if I see some spurious person waving....you're a sport!

Lets try that again !

Hmm I see the dilemma. I'd better get back to the drawing board, leave it with me and I'll come back with some solid proposals for the way forward :D

I've been out on my motorbike today and waved and nodded at many fellow bikers. When I am driving my Defender, I wave at fellow drivers if they look to be enthusiasts of the vehicle (you can usually tell by the way the vehicle has been modified/looked after) and get a response back. When I am driving the California, I wave at the drivers and sometimes get a response and on other occasions I get a look of bewilderment. Obviously not forum members!

I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning

Last edited:
I've been out on my motorbike today and waved and nodded at many fellow bikers. When I am driving my Defender, I wave at fellow drivers if they look to be enthusiasts of the vehicle (you can usually tell by the way the vehicle has been modified/looked after) and get a response back. When I am driving the California, I wave at the drivers and sometimes get a response and on other occasions I get a look of bewilderment. Obviously not forum members!

Or you unknowingly waved at a plumber or builder as I have several times. ;)

I find this a dilemma with the newer vans, you don't know whether to wave or not until they've gone by. Older vans its generally safe to assume that a T25, Bay or Split are an enthusiast vehicle. A T5 or T6 could just a work van, or a taxi, the cali I am just not good enough to spot on the road and wave in time.

I got waved at today!

I'm so thrilled!

And....... I was given a flash :shocked

Close to stonehenge.......

well remember it being built :(

I got waved at today!

I'm so thrilled!

And....... I was given a flash :shocked

Close to stonehenge.......

well remember it being built :(
Excellent, an eye witness. Can you confirm what its purpose was when new and why did they build it so close to the A303?

It was meant to be a multi-story wheelbarrow park but a bit ahead of it's time as no one had invented the wheel then....

The A303 was not built then, it was still the subject of a planning application but as it was "steamrollered" through, despite not having steam at the time, the public enquiry only took 5,000 years, a little less than Heathrow's third runway.

Last edited:
It was meant to be a multi-story wheelbarrow park but a bit ahead of it's time as no one had invented the wheel then....

The A303 was not built then, it was still the subject of a planning application but as it was "steamrollered" through, despite not having stream at the time, the public enquiry only took 5,000 years, a little less than Heathrow's third runway.
So what you are saying is that the site is now ripe for redevelopment. Any suggestions?

Possibly a tourist attraction, turn it into a theme park.

I got a wave from a blue Beach in Bristol on Friday :thumb

Back