Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Window Grills - has anyone got these?

We have one like this, in steel, supposed to be burglar-proof:

2a66776404d1cc9ec4b1967c21a1c35b7659d388.jpg

We hardly ever use it, though... We don't leave the window open when we are not there, and when we are we use this 'interior' one:

mosquito-net-for-sliding-window.jpg

We're looking to buy a window grill to give some extra ventilation and have seen these which slide into the windows. - http://www.csiparts.co.uk/en-gb/col...aliforniai-and-caravelle-window-grills/131527

Has anyone got these? If so, what do you think about them and have you got the additional bug screen. We would also be grateful for any suggestions on alternatives too.

I also have both like bvddobb. I use the first grill at night or in bad weather. The extra advantage of the first one besides being 'burglar-proof' is that it's also rain-proof, which the meshes aren't. Further on I also bought the two Reimo front window ventilations (which have triple grills instead of two like the Brandrup). So as much as I can possibly open at night, or in rain, without raising the roof. And with enough modularity to not need a half-size. All are of course mosquito-proof. The front ventilations I store in the net above the roof shutter, the steel grill at the lower ceiling (to avoid flattening the curve), and the thin screen stays blocked right behind the sliding window.

IMG_1709.jpg IMG_E3032.jpg

Last edited:
bvddobb...where did you purchase the burglar proof, rain proof grill? It’s just what I’m looking for.

bvddobb...where did you purchase the burglar proof, rain proof grill? It’s just what I’m looking for.

Just google "ventilation grill T6" for all kinds of suppliers.

I got one from CMC, concept Multi Car Ltd, £127.70 delivered

Product code 461631 R

I think that the type shown in original question looks very good, smaller to store than full size vent (fairly important when travelling or not using).

might get one for the door window as would give more night time security than VW vent.

Last edited:
I've ordered a CSI grill and will give a report when it arrives.

£7.20 postage on top of £84.98 purchase price for bug grilled single unit.

We used the ones that came with the van for the first time this year. It was very hot in Spain this year and I suppose they do help a bit to keep the mozzies out, unless you have one rogue mozzie that is hiding in a corner and refuses to die when you spray the van last thing at night. Result 30 bites each and one fat mozzie.

... the steel grill at the lower ceiling (to avoid flattening the curve)...

View attachment 39122 View attachment 39123
How are you attaching the window grille to ceiling/underside of the roof bed? I have one of these and am interested in that as a stowage option. I'm also interested in your shelf/hanging pots above the galley. Where did you get those please? Thanks v much

How are you attaching the window grille to ceiling/underside of the roof bed? I have one of these and am interested in that as a stowage option. I'm also interested in your shelf/hanging pots above the galley. Where did you get those please? Thanks v much

see:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-5#post-306642
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-6#post-307293
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-8#post-313896

Last edited:
We're looking to buy a window grill to give some extra ventilation and have seen these which slide into the windows. - http://www.csiparts.co.uk/en-gb/col...aliforniai-and-caravelle-window-grills/131527

Has anyone got these? If so, what do you think about them and have you got the additional bug screen. We would also be grateful for any suggestions on alternatives too.
I actually bought the Dubflecta Retro wind deflectors for the sole purpose of night time ventilation and I'm really happy with them. They are inexpensive, very easy to fit & don't take away from the appearance of the van at all.

I actually bought the Dubflecta Retro wind deflectors for the sole purpose of night time ventilation and I'm really happy with them. They are inexpensive, very easy to fit & don't take away from the appearance of the van at all.

I've been hesitating to buy these as well. It's just that I still look for a way to keep out the animals.
Also, you can't combine them with the other front window grills (Reimo or Brandrup), in case you want more ventilation.

Last edited:
I've ordered a CSI grill and will give a report when it arrives.

£7.20 postage on top of £84.98 purchase price for bug grilled single unit.
We still haven't ordered one, so would be very interested to hear your views when your grill arrives. Many thanks.

We have these grilles and can't recommend them enough. They are relatively secure and keep the weather out unlike the CSi grilles. Easy to fit and provide decent ventilation. We used one in the "sink" window last week in Dorset and it kept the Cali ventilated at night with 3 of us in, only slight condensation to the two sliding windows even though the temperature dropped a lot at night.
I wouldn't say they are burglar proof but happy to leave them in on a site or well populated area..
Available from Vanessa. https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de...ion-grille-driversside-t5-t6.html?language=en

Last edited:
I've been hesitating to buy these as well. It's just that I still look for a way to keep out the animals.
Also, you can't combine them with the other front window grills (Reimo or Brandrup), in case you want more ventilation.
I don't know but I'd imagine that you could use both together.

I don't know but I'd imagine that you could use both together.
I think the window vents sliding into the same glass channel as the deflectors makes this impossible.

I also have both like bvddobb. I use the first grill at night or in bad weather. The extra advantage of the first one besides being 'burglar-proof' is that it's also rain-proof, which the meshes aren't. Further on I also bought the two Reimo front window ventilations (which have triple grills instead of two like the Brandrup). So as much as I can possibly open at night, or in rain, without raising the roof. And with enough modularity to not need a half-size. All are of course mosquito-proof. The front ventilations I store in the net above the roof shutter, the steel grill at the lower ceiling (to avoid flattening the curve), and the thin screen stays blocked right behind the sliding window.

View attachment 39122 View attachment 39123
What and where did you get the high level shelves please.

Thanks

BJG...please do report back. I will be very interested in your opinion.
Just to update you.

The Vent arrived but didn't fit. It had a curve/bow that due to the rigid quality couldn't be altered.
Initial impressions are good quality.

Contacted the supplier who immediately said that it would me replaced, no quibbling whatsoever.
He emailed a Courier return label so no costs involved.

On receipt he checked and confirmed the fact that it didn't fit his T6. All stock was checked and no further faulty ones found. A replacement is now being sent and a further update will be made in due course.

Replacement arrived today.

Tight & secure fit.
Tried in both sides as it isn't handed.

Door is easy as you can hold it in place from the outside whilst closing the sliding window.
There are two 'L' shaped brackets that the sliding window fits into and the design is such that the window latches into a locked position when closed. All pretty tight and very secure.

Kitchen. n/s, window could be done from the inside, I didn't fully latch up the window as it is a tight fit into the 'L' brackets and felt that it would be better with a bit pressure to the outside to complete the latching process.
I only intend to use it in the door.

Construction is rigid and to a very high standard, CNC laser cut frame with inner and outer sections. metal weave mesh in window/vent area, I had the optional fly screen which is a small nylon mesh on the inside trapped between the inner and outer metal layers.

No actual rain protection or channelling nor does it claim to have any. No problem for me as going under the awning.

Much more secure than the large outside fitting vent, which I have already for the kitchen side (these are handed for kitchen or door).

No risk of bending during storage (I tried to straighten the faulty one but even with all my weight on it it wouldn't alter).
The 'L' brackets make it a bit awkward as they stick out about 25mm, See photo.
Frame outer is 27mm x 48mm which isn't too big to find a storage place for it.

Overall I'd recommend it or even a pair. Security is good (more than the glass it's fitted into)
Quality is 10/10.
Appearance is 10/10

20181114_161420[1].jpg

20181114_161459[1].jpg

20181114_161511[1].jpg

You can. I have the Dubreflecta fitted and used for overnights and also add the Brandrup Front window grill for ventilation and security when staying longer and leaving the van unattended.

Never have any problems with bugs, don't use any nets etc:, but have an electric Insect Killer that plugs into the Inverter socket. Has worked well so far from Scandinavia to Italy/Spain.