Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CaliforniaOnTour App Unstable Connection

P

Prog-Master

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I had several attempts at trying to get this app to connect to my Ocean. I have learnt that the ignition needs to be on and the connect button lit on the console not only for activation.

I got the Ocean to connect by restarting my phone, but then reconnect is not stable. The app always find the Ocean network to join, but doesn’t always succeed.

The features available in the app look good, but I’m not confident I have the patience to keep phaffing round with making the connection. I had similar challenges setting up the we connect app, same principle but at least it’s stable.

Has anyone managed to get this app to connect with repeatability?

AFAIK the CaliforniaOnTour app is just a manual and campsites app. All I get in it anwway.

The Volkswagen app (which replaced WE) is the one I use to connect to the van (and our Tiguan) and control the central locking and see stats etc.

It does offer controls, mainly everything that is on the camper control display, it creates its own WiFi hub for use within the vicinity of the van. Maybe this option is not available on your version

I had several attempts at trying to get this app to connect to my Ocean. I have learnt that the ignition needs to be on and the connect button lit on the console not only for activation.

I got the Ocean to connect by restarting my phone, but then reconnect is not stable. The app always find the Ocean network to join, but doesn’t always succeed.

The features available in the app look good, but I’m not confident I have the patience to keep phaffing round with making the connection. I had similar challenges setting up the we connect app, same principle but at least it’s stable.

I'm having the exact same issue - normally kicks me out after about 5 seconds. Although I did manage to stay connected for about a minute the other day which allowed me to tweak light settings in camping mode etc.

Dealer is looking into it for me but not really expected them to come back with any solution.

I think I may have solved my issue, I was connected with CarPlay so will try again tomorrow
1722630313708.png
I'm having the exact same issue - normally kicks me out after about 5 seconds. Although I did manage to stay connected for about a minute the other day which allowed me to tweak light settings in camping mode etc.

Dealer is looking into it for me but not really expected them to come back with any solution.
Please let me know if you have success

Makes sense - although if it's a choice of the two then CarPlay wins every time.

I'll have a play

Having the same issue.
COT only connects if everything is just right, but then it drops in favour of connecting CarPlay. As the two can’t operate at the same time this feels pointless!
A shame, as I’d like to be able to use these features when I’m away from the vehicle. Ideally they’d all be built into the Volkswagen app. One day, perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does offer controls, mainly everything that is on the camper control display, it creates its own WiFi hub for use within the vicinity of the van. Maybe this option is not available on your version
Yeah. Sounds about right. The VW one enough for me and only really use it for the manual.

I have discovered that I am new to California and camping in general. It's been a learning curve, and the technology explanations in the manual are ambiguous at best.

California has two different media technology platforms;

1. Information Centre
2. Living Area Console

Information Centre
When you connect via Airplay, your device becomes a Hub for all other devices. It integrates your device into App-Connect, a dedicated channel on iPhone, and effectively means you can't create any more media connections as it's now your Wi-Fi. You can just connect to media, and that is like a Bluetooth speaker, including your phone calls.

Living Area Console
When you turn the ignition on and activate the connect Wi-Fi button, your device becomes an extension of the console. This, too, becomes a dedicated Wi-Fi channel to which your phone is connected. If the connection becomes erratic, I have found a sequence of activities.
  • You have to disconnect from Airplay sometimes this means this means disabling in settings (CarPlay)
  • Press the Connect Wi-Fi button for 30 seconds, and it will flash 5 times. This resets the device connection (well... not really), but you can leave it lit.
  • Delete the vehicle connection in the California on Tour app
  • Delete the Bluetooth connection on your device (My 5xxxx) and restart it.
  • Make sure you have a good internet connection.
  • Register your vehicle using the Cal on Tour app.
  • Go into Cal on Tour Location settings on your phone and toggle between the various settings; this forces you to explicitly allow the remote control in the Cal on Tour app
  • Now try and register again; it worked every time for me

Back