Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calitop

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone on here have a Calitop? If so, would you recommend?

We are looking for a topper to protect against driving rain but also help with insulation up top. I like the idea that the Calitop can be left in situ. I’m otherwise considering a Pucer top.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like you still have to remove the Calitop when you close the roof.

It’s worth also considering the Brandrup isotop which fits onto the inside of the roof and can remain in place permanently, avoiding the need to stand out in the weather to fit an external cover.

The video implies it is left in place, with just a couple of hooks to put in place at the bottom.
I wonder if the calitop fabric is touching the normal canvas? Therefore losing out on the insulating (heat and sound) gap, and increasing the chance of wicking.

Cali tops are great

Lorri, can you comment on insulating and wicking properties of the CaliTop?

I’ve also looked at the Brandrup IsoTop but it doesn’t keep the bellows dry so I wasn’t that keen. The £500 price didn’t help either.

Cali tops are great
Have you got one? Interested to hear a bit more detail. Looking at the website it looks like there are two different designs. One that has to be removed and the one in the video that is a fixed. Like the look of the fixed one!

Last edited:
Ours comes off and stones away in boot pocket - we slightly raise the roof and slide on from front to back. It does takes two people to fit tho. Keeps the bellows nice and dry and upstairs a little more cosy. The only down side is that you cannot unzip the plastic windows for ventilation. Not seen the video of fixed type will have to try and find it

BC145486-418A-40EF-BB47-F75CF4F547B4.jpeg

The video implies it is left in place, with just a couple of hooks to put in place at the bottom.
I wonder if the calitop fabric is touching the normal canvas? Therefore losing out on the insulating (heat and sound) gap, and increasing the chance of wicking.
Hi. What is “wicking” if not too dumb a question.
Insulation is slightly better than just bellows, I’ll be honest I’ve not slept upstairs only Hubby has and he’s reckons it’s been ok - plus we’ve not been overnight in really cold weather.
The Cali top doesn’t appear to touch the bellows fabric as the elastic loops you fit through the holes at the bottom and loop around the fixing in the cluttering pulls it quiet taunt I think personally, and as the roof overhangs the bellows slightly it may not touch. We’ve been lucky up till now and not had it in place in strong winds so that could possibly factor into things.
And you can get one that has a hole in it on top for the solar panels.

Last edited:
Ours comes off and stones away in boot pocket - we slightly raise the roof and slide on from front to back. It does takes two people to fit tho. Keeps the bellows nice and dry and upstairs a little more cosy. The only down side is that you cannot unzip the plastic windows for ventilation. Not seen the video of fixed type will have to try and find it

View attachment 50296
Yours is similar to the Comfortz Topper that I have. The video in the link that @Camperfamily posted appears to show a "v3" which looks to be a permanent fitting....
Wicking in this situation is really just the soaking of moisture from the roof fabric into anything that is touching it, such as a duvet. At least that's how I understand it !

Thanks ArunAlec, yes I’m specifically interested in the one you posted, not the Comfortz Topper (or similar Mutze, etc)

The main advantage it seems to have is that (1) it’s external and (2) it can be left on permanently. I’ve not seen any others that do (1) and (2).

We have the comfortz Cali topper , along with the awning sides. Easy to store away in the bags. Always dry them out when I get back home ready for the next time. Keeps a lot of the weather away from the roof .. also good keeping tree sap off the main roof

Thanks ArunAlec, yes I’m specifically interested in the one you posted, not the Comfortz Topper (or similar Mutze, etc)

The main advantage it seems to have is that (1) it’s external and (2) it can be left on permanently. I’ve not seen any others that do (1) and (2).
Agree, best of both worlds.

Can anyone translate the German from the video re the different types of calitops? Thanks. Vee

I have to say that calitop looks terrible all that elastic to hold it on it must be tight to the original canvas and offer no thermal benefit whatsoever.it also looks so tight i would worry it would pull the canvas out of its channel i see the club shop have brandrup internal liners for £440 i think it is a much better idea.

we did used to deal with this chap he makes the stuff in his garden shed or at least he used to.

Agree, best of both worlds.
Worst of both worlds in my view.
Cant open the plastic windows for ventilation.
The plastic windows don't make it darker inside.
The roof mechanism is still open to the elements.

I’ve sold on my Cali topper and opted for the Cali wrap external. So easy to put on, takes 2 minutes and rolls up easily for storage. Can recommend.

What’s the Cali wrap? Almost too much choice...

It’s worth also considering the Brandrup isotop which fits onto the inside of the roof and can remain in place permanently, avoiding the need to stand out in the weather to fit an external cover.
Totally agree about the Isotop. Had mine for 11 years, and the upstairs is as warm as toast. And - yes - you don't have to unhook or remove it when lowering the roof (took me 3 years to realise that!). Beginning to unstick round the base, but easily fixed with carpet tape.

I have a pucer. Very happy we bought it and for £165 it does a great job of keeping the canvas bone dry.

Can’t give a real value to the warmth factor as every night is different... but the added bonus of blackout is fantastic.

You’ve got to something about this heat loss! (We has parking heater on!)

tn_005.jpg

I have a pucer. Very happy we bought it and for £165 it does a great job of keeping the canvas bone dry.

Can’t give a real value to the warmth factor as every night is different... but the added bonus of blackout is fantastic.

You’ve got to something about this heat loss! (We has parking heater on!)

tn_005.jpg

I would really miss not being able to open the window in the morning, especially if you have a beautiful sea view or want to watch the sun cone up. I have purchased nearly all the toppers and settled for the Iso top in the end, it beats all the others hands down .

Back