Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cambelt advice

Lloydfred

Lloydfred

2010 2.0 140ps California SE Fresco Green
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

I found a nice van and it's a 2010 with 55K miles on the clock. It looks perfect for my family's needs. I've spoken to the seller and asked when it's Cambelt change was. I was told it hasn't been done although it's got full dealer service history.

I'm wondering if the Cambelt might of been changed by VW without the owner being aware of it. I thought it was highlighted by VW when serviced. Also if the worst case is it's been missed what's the reality and consequences of this. It's a huge purchase for us and I just want to get it right.

Thanks for your help in advance

Hi, if it is a 180hp Cali you should also be aware of potential engine issues with 2010/11 models with a similar mileage. There are threads on the forum relating to this.

hi, the cam belt can kill an engine. if its not been recorded as being done take it that it as not been. if the seller will not adjust the price to cover the work, walk away. what ever you do don't be taken in by sales talk. F

hi, the cam belt can kill an engine. if its not been recorded as being done take it that it as not been. if the seller will not adjust the price to cover the work, walk away. what ever you do don't be taken in by sales talk. F

So if the seller will drop for the cost of replacing the cam belt now, that's fine? I worry that a late cam belt replacement may make the van less appealing going forward?

I would ask the seller to get it replaced before collection. Chances are possibly slim but imagine if that belt snapped on the drive home?

hi, no what is important is that the cam belt is changed. when you go to sale it on. the service record will show the cam belt service and then you need to change it again before 4 years runs out. my worry apart from the belt would be that the van is already 7 years old and maybe in line for the incoming green taxes.

Importantly make sure that the water pump & tensioners are changed at the same time, the most common reason for a timing belt (cambelt) failing is not the actual belt but the water pump seizing and snapping the belt.

So if the seller will drop for the cost of replacing the cam belt now, that's fine? I worry that a late cam belt replacement may make the van less appealing going forward?
I'm very cynical about what people say when selling a vehicle, very often they state it'll have a full dealer service history, but on inspection it'll be very sporadic and not be to manufacturers recommendations. I'd be concerned that if someone has skimped on not changing the cambelt because what else has not been done. if I were you I'd check it scrupreously ensuring things like brake fluid change every 2 years, etc.
The main issue of lack of maintenance by previous owners is that it's likely to be you that ends up picking up the cost.
I'd also advise checking the MOT history on the DVLA website to see how well it's been looked after, if it's had a lot of fails and/or advisories in the past then that tends to mean that previous owners haven't looked after it.

The MOT history goes back to 2013 and apart from one advisor of "Offside Rear tyre wearing on inner edge" on the recent MOT apart from that it looks ok.

The MOT history goes back to 2013 and apart from one advisor of "Offside Rear tyre wearing on inner edge" on the recent MOT apart from that it looks ok.
MOT will not check things like Cambelt, Oil & filters, Brake fluid etc:

hi, no what is important is that the cam belt is changed. when you go to sale it on. the service record will show the cam belt service and then you need to change it again before 4 years runs out. my worry apart from the belt would be that the van is already 7 years old and maybe in line for the incoming green taxes.
The 2010 T5.1 has a Euro 5 engine and so should be compliant for quite a while to come. You may be charged to go into some cities in the future though, but which ones apart from London is far from clear at the moment.

Just negotiate this issue into the purchase price and have it done by a dealer as soon as you can.
All will be well.

Alan

The cambelt and water pump change is in the order of £550 as a fixed price job at vw. So long as you get it done before it breaks, no damage will have resulted from it missing the 4 year interval.
The old advice was that the cambelt needed to be changed on a mileage only basis, but that became a time interval too, as either a wise precaution or a money making exercise (depending on your point of view).
If it's a 180hp, larrylamb's point above is more important, but do get the cambelt and pump done ASAP.

euro 5 is being banned in certain parts of german cities at the moment. there is some talk however of allowing diesels not meeting the euro 6 mark to upgrade their filters at a cost of around 1400 euros. it all depends on how long you plan to keep the van for. But the green nonsense will not go away, its too big a money spinner. with the vans incomplete service history, cost of cam belt and god knows what else, unless very cheap I would walk away. F

I’m not a 5 expert but has anyone identified if it’s a cam chain engine, in which case it’s not an issue?

There's always a risk involved when buying used vehicles as you can never truly know the history. Like myself, some people can't afford a brand new Cali that comes with the top cover of warranties etc.. therefore, there is an increased risk to the purchase.
  1. Not having the cambelt done is a concern. If you can't negotiate the price to account for the work then make a decision whether to take it on the chin and get it done yourself;
  2. Yes there was a trend in 2010/2011 engine problems, but the majority of Calis from that MY did not have any issue;
  3. As for green taxes, you'll get a lot of use out of the Cali before they become a problem.
I assume this is a private seller and not trade and I get that it is easy to be cynical about what you're being told; therefore, find a reputable mechanic and take him to give the vehicle the once over.

I'm all for due diligence but let's not put the heebie geebies into folk who are trying to realise a dream of being a Cali owner for what could 'potentially' happen.

When I purchased a second hand Cali we took it into the dealer for a health check before we paid the balance, I was also able to go through with the dealer all the work that had been previously carried out.

If you did this you could also het the cambelt changed at same time, maybe split the cost?

With servicing its the oil that thats the important bit, the cam belt is purely a negotiating tool. It doesn't matter if the cam belt is 10 years overdue as long as it doesn't snap before you change it.

If its a private seller can you see the invoices for the services, to me these are far better than just having a stamp in a book & should show what has actually been done.

euro 5 is being banned in certain parts of german cities at the moment
I don't think that is correct. Euro 4 & 5 vehicles are not banned but need registration and a sticker to enter low emission zones in certain cities. My sticker cost me 6 Euro.
with the vans incomplete service history, cost of cam belt and god knows what else, unless very cheap I would walk away.
It's got a full VW service history, why walk away? just need to factor in a cambelt change if there is no proof of it been done.

I would also check the condition of brake pads & disks, at that mileage if they haven't been replaced previously they will be due soon. I'm on the originals at 40k miles but replacement is imenent.

I don't think that is correct. Euro 4 & 5 vehicles are not banned but need registration and a sticker to enter low emission zones in certain cities. My sticker cost me 6 Euro.

It's got a full VW service history, why walk away? just need to factor in a cambelt change if there is no proof of it been done.

Thanks for the advice larry, I'm sure it will be fine but I will look over the service documents. The seller has indicated that if the cam belt needs changing a deal can be reached. I would of thought the service department would of notified the owner of the cam belt replacement dates he. I also find it hard to believe the owner would of missed it's first cam belt change. The van is the 140 engine so not sure if that's a belt or chain.

We have been looking for the right van for over a year and I'm just trying to be prepared as much as I can.

I would also check the condition of brake pads & disks, at that mileage if they haven't been replaced previously they will be due soon. I'm on the originals at 40k miles but replacement is imenent.
Disks and pads are very variable. I'm on 60,000 and the pads have 50% left and disks are pristine but that is over 3 years. 55,000 over 7 years, but used regularly for shorter trips might be ok . But the same milage only in the summer months with long periods of non use might well promote disk wear and you should never reuse pads with new disks.

Thanks for the advice larry, I'm sure it will be fine but I will look over the service documents. The seller has indicated that if the cam belt needs changing a deal can be reached. I would of thought the service department would of notified the owner of the cam belt replacement dates he. I also find it hard to believe the owner would of missed it's first cam belt change. The van is the 140 engine so not sure if that's a belt or chain.

We have been looking for the right van for over a year and I'm just trying to be prepared as much as I can.
VW service departments are not all the same and a quick search on the subject of cambelt intervals will show even VW depts contradict themselves with their advice. I wouldn't rely on them to inform an owner that a cambelt change is due. Sounds like you are nearing a deal, good luck.

I’m not a 5 expert but has anyone identified if it’s a cam chain engine, in which case it’s not an issue?

Hi Sidepod hope your well.

How can I tell if it's a chain ? And if it's a chain are you saying it doesn't require maintenance?

Hi Sidepod hope your well.

How can I tell if it's a chain ? And if it's a chain are you saying it doesn't require maintenance?
A 140 T5.1 will be a cambelt not chain.

get the seller to replace it, that way if it goes into VW they might find a few other problems that can be sorted out