Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt needs replacing after 40k miles???

PeterW

PeterW

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Just had my 2015 T5 Cali serviced (40k) and they said that VW recommend the cam belt is replaced after 100,000 miles or four years?? That seems mad? Any advice?

Which part do you think is mad, the 100,000 miles, or the 4 years?

We also have a 2015 T5 and I'm planning to get the belt done later this year even though the van will only have done about 40k by then. But a snapped belt is potentially MUCH more expensive! They deteriorate with age as well as use.

What surprises me is that it 4 years is equal to 100,000 miles!! Does it just deteriorate over time even if you don't drive?

What surprises me is that it 4 years is equal to 100,000 miles!! Does it just deteriorate over time even if you don't drive?

I don't know about VW belts but pretty much yes, they do deteriorate and the risk of failure increases with age. How risky is a 5 year old low-mileage belt on a T5? ... no idea, but personally I'm not going to play cam belt roulette.

Agree with Velma's Dad, from someone who has had a cambelt snap I wouldn't take the risk. Taking into account the cost of the vehicle and possible consequences if it snaps I think a new belt/pump etc every 4 years is worthwhile. Although I'd probably shop around rather than use VW to get a reasonable price.

I did mine at 4 years and had covered 80,000 miles and was off to Norway 4 months later.
Remember, it is based on a Commercial vehicle and some of the commercial vehicles have it done every year due to milage. Other countries have longer intervals. But in the end it is your choice £560 v £7000 for an engine rebuild or new engine.

Guys....lots of threads on this. General view is that the advice given by VW in UK both:
- differs over the years
- is vastly different than in, say, Germany
And some people reach the conclusion it may be a revenue gathering exercise by UK dealers.
Search, read the other threads, lots of questions, advice and photo’s.

Had the cam belt snap on my t5 work van a few years ago. It happened 1 week before the van was booked in to have the belt replaced. My advice after what I went through get it done

Guys....lots of threads on this. General view is that the advice given by VW in UK both:
- differs over the years
- is vastly different than in, say, Germany
And some people reach the conclusion it may be a revenue gathering exercise by UK dealers.
Search, read the other threads, lots of questions, advice and photo’s.

True, but in the end it depends how lucky you feel.

My fag-packet reasoning is that if I assume (a) the belt WILL fail at some point in next (say) ten years if not changed, and (b) will cause catastrophic engine damage so say £6,000 damage (very likely on an 'interference' engine design), that's a £1,000 average hazard each year from year 4. So spending £500 this year, and £500 in another 4 years, makes sense (assuming it completely protects against belt failure, which of course it may not).

My fag-packet reasoning is that if I assume (a) the belt WILL fail at some point in next (say) ten years if not changed, and (b) will cause catastrophic engine damage so say £6,000 damage (very likely on an 'interference' engine design), that's a £1,000 average hazard each year from year 4. So spending £500 this year, and £500 in another 4 years, makes sense (assuming it completely protects against belt failure, which of course it may not).
Sound reasoning.
As i said in other threads my van said 6 years or 140,000 miles. Getting it done in next month as 6 years old (55k miles) but in Germany I think it’s 10 years Or 210,000km.
Personal choice I reckon dependent on your risk profile?

Sound reasoning.
As i said in other threads my van said 6 years or 140,000 miles. Getting it done in next month as 6 years old (55k miles) but in Germany I think it’s 10 years Or 210,000km.
Personal choice I reckon dependent on your risk profile?

I didn't know Germany was now saying 10 years... can you share the reference to that please? A massive difference from 4 years!!

My advice is to ask your dealer to remove the cover and inspect the condition of the belt at every service if you are a low mileage user. That way as soon as wear or deterioration of the material is spotted it can be changed during that service.

But if done by VW then you do get 2 yrs warranty regarding parts and labour, so that might alter your calculations in favour of getting it done. :thumb

I didn't know Germany was now saying 10 years... can you share the reference to that please? A massive difference from 4 years!!
Sorry if I’ve got it wrong, thought that a couple of people from Europe mentioned it in previous threads ? TripleBee? Clarinet? Dunno, just remembered that even with km to miles conversion it was yet again a different amount than I had in my documentation and on service sheets in UK. Mine is 6 yrs or 140,000 miles...

Sorry if I’ve got it wrong, thought that a couple of people from Europe mentioned it in previous threads ? TripleBee? Clarinet? Dunno, just remembered that even with km to miles conversion it was yet again a different amount than I had in my documentation and on service sheets in UK. Mine is 6 yrs or 140,000 miles...

I take it that the 210000kms is the transporter. i.e. Cali.

Some vehicles have a life span of 10 years on the cam belt..VW say 4 years..You have to ask yourself is it that VW use cambelts made with inferior materials..No of coarse not All cambelts of branded quality are made exactly the same..What cambelt manufacturer would want to risk mass failures of their product? It’s the same as having your vehicle serviced Every year regardless of the miles done. Whether 20 miles or 20,000....Really its your choice but it’s very unlikely that a cambelt will fail after 4 years and low miles but there are always the exceptions. We know that VW are not exactly squeaky clean when it comes to telling us the truth..

VW, the manufacturer, says 210,000 km, without time limit. VWUK is a private company that represents VW in UK. They seem to be the only ones who have made up this 4 year business. In Germany, Spain and Belgium we know from Forum members that it's 210,000km without time limit, except for Spain which says 10 years.

VW, the manufacturer, says 210,000 km, without time limit. VWUK is a private company that represents VW in UK. They seem to be the only ones who have made up this 4 year business. In Germany, Spain and Belgium we know from Forum members that it's 210,000km without time limit, except for Spain which says 10 years.

Just had my 2015 T5 Cali serviced (40k) and they said that VW recommend the cam belt is replaced after 100,000 miles or four years?? That seems mad? Any advice?
Just a note, if you are interested in this topic, all of this info is available by typing 'Cam belt" into the Forum search function.

I don't know about VW belts but pretty much yes, they do deteriorate and the risk of failure increases with age. How risky is a 5 year old low-mileage belt on a T5? ... no idea, but personally I'm not going to play cam belt roulette.
Several forum members have examined the old replacement belt after changing at 4 years, and have not seen any detectable wear. One posted close up photographs of belt, water pump and tensioner, as new.

Had the cam belt snap on my t5 work van a few years ago. It happened 1 week before the van was booked in to have the belt replaced. My advice after what I went through get it done
Well that's clearly of interest on this topic, how many miles and how many years on the belt, and would it have been the first time the belt was changed?

My advice is to ask your dealer to remove the cover and inspect the condition of the belt at every service if you are a low mileage user. That way as soon as wear or deterioration of the material is spotted it can be changed during that service.
Yes, that's what the German and Spanish service schedules recommend.

Germany has no time limit, just 210,000km with inspections at every service. Spain is same km with regular inspections, but a max of 10 years.

Back