Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camel Trail - best place to park

E

El&Ed

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

We are camping at Mother Ivey’s Bay, near Padstow (yes the campsite/holiday park that made it into the news recently ) and we would like to do part of the Camel trail with a 5 and 6 year old, confident cyclists for their age but not road confident. Where is the best place to park to enter the trail? We don’t mind driving a bit.

Thanks
El

Hi,

We are camping at Mother Ivey’s Bay, near Padstow (yes the campsite/holiday park that made it into the news recently ) and we would like to do part of the Camel trail with a 5 and 6 year old, confident cyclists for their age but not road confident. Where is the best place to park to enter the trail? We don’t mind driving a bit.

Thanks
El
Not done it myself but heard of people parking in the Piggy Lane Car Park (Piggy Lane, Wadebridge PL27 7AP) and then jumping on to the Camel Trail ... or there is a Camel Trail Cycle Hire (Eddystone Rd, Wadebridge PL27 7AL). Check with them if they will allow you to park up there for a few hours while you cycle.

Some locals on here will come on and be able to give better advice.

Enjoy the day

or another option - why not drive into Padstow - Link road car park - Padstow PL28 8AX - or Padstow town car park (Padstow PL28 8BL) and then jump on to the camel trail from Padstow?

just found this parking on Google maps

1628065339772.png

We always park behind Lidl in Wadebride (I think its the Piggy Lane Car Park, Wadebridge PL27 7AP mentioned above). Drive through the Lidl carpark and its at the back.

You're straight on the Camel Trail. We usually cycle to Padstow, then come back and cycle to Bodmin and back to the car park - its slightly down hill on that leg from Bodmin so finishes the ride off nicely..;-)

or another option - why not drive into Padstow - Link road car park - Padstow PL28 8AX - or Padstow town car park (Padstow PL28 8BL) and then jump on to the camel trail from Padstow?

View attachment 82541
Not done it myself but heard of people parking in the Piggy Lane Car Park (Piggy Lane, Wadebridge PL27 7AP) and then jumping on to the Camel Trail ... or there is a Camel Trail Cycle Hire (Eddystone Rd, Wadebridge PL27 7AL). Check with them if they will allow you to park up there for a few hours while you cycle.

Some locals on here will come on and be able to give better advice.

Enjoy the day
Thank you

Parking in Padstow is an oxymoron

View attachment 82541
I don’t think we will manage to get a space in Padstow unless by some miracle we are there by 8am. But thank you.

We always park behind Lidl in Wadebride (I think its the Piggy Lane Car Park, Wadebridge PL27 7AP mentioned above). Drive through the Lidl carpark and its at the back.

You're straight on the Camel Trail. We usually cycle to Padstow, then come back and cycle to Bodmin and back to the car park - its slightly down hill on that leg from Bodmin so finishes the ride off nicely..;-)
Thanks for the advice

The Borough Arms in Bodmin is a fab place to park up. Never too busy and great walking/cycling alongside beautiful stretches of the river. Can be finished with a drink at the pub and a great playground for the kids.

Overwhelmed with responses I knew this was the best place to check. Thank you
I understand you are already booked into a site but Dennis Cove campsite and The Foreshore Dennis Farm are very close/just on the Camel Trail and are just ideal for small campers like ours.

I understand you are already booked into a site but Dennis Cove campsite and The Foreshore Dennis Farm are very close/just on the Camel Trail and are just ideal for small campers like ours.
Good tip thanks, I will look into them for next time!

Just an update as it might be handy for others. We had friends that were picking up hire bikes from Padstow so we opted for Padstow link car park, got there at 9:30 and managed to get a parking space backing up on a grassy verge so easily fitted in the space with our bike rack. Plenty of spaces at that time! Still lots of spaces when we left the car park at 10am (after much faffing). We walked our bikes through the harbour area to meet our friends at the cycle hire. Padstow was very busy as expected!

We parked in Wadebridge at Piggy Lane. Cycled to Padstow. I recommend leaving bikes locked at the cycle hire bike racks (there are loads of racks) to walk to harbour as a bit of a pain with the bikes + people. Cycled on towards Bodmin and the Borough arms. Great day out. There is also the Camel Valley Vineyard just off the trail.

I thought the foreshore was tents only or has it changed?