Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camp Bestival Tips

jimmywease

jimmywease

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Well it looks like our first festival is finally going to happen (minus a few US acts).

The dogs are booked into a sitter, local to the event (heaven help them), leaving just two adults and two children and a T6 Beach. We’re in the general Campervan camping section for the 4 nights.

Any festival experts or Bestival veterans out there with some tips? @Haves1979 ?
Awning / no awning?
Toilet tent / no toilet tent?

First year for us so happy to have any tips!

Friends have been multiple years and have given a few pointers. We've bought a garden style trolley for carrying gear into the festival, lots of glow sticks bubbles etc for the kids as apparently they cost a fortune there.

We're taking the awning for extra space given we are there 4 nights, apparently the plots are a reasonable size.

Friends have been multiple years and have given a few pointers. We've bought a garden style trolley for carrying gear into the festival, lots of glow sticks bubbles etc for the kids as apparently they cost a fortune there.

We're taking the awning for extra space given we are there 4 nights, apparently the plots are a reasonable size.
Thanks. Makes sense - so it’s a ‘yes’ for awning. I just noticed that the portapotti is a prohibited item, so that one stays at home.

From Prohibited Items list:
• Personal portable toilets
• Camping gas canisters above 5kg

I’m not sure if they mean gas contents or total weight, so I suppose I’ll take cartridges instead of the cylinder.

I think that is for the general camping field rather than the camper field, says here there is waste disposal. Same with gas I assume, can't think they will be removing the gas cannister, they'd need to find it first!

I think the prohibited items list does apply to all visitors, hence I think a portapotti in a toilet tent would be prohibited. I think the waste disposal point is for outfits fitted with a kitchen or toilet, which do not contain the prohibited ‘personal portable toilets’.

Regarding the gas cylinder, I think the rule is already nebulous, before we even get into the fixed cylinder in an ocean!

As you say, I don’t suppose they’ll be turning people’s vans upside down, to find contraband, so I might even bring Mrs Wease’s lead crystal champagne flute!

Not been, but a friend who has advised they used to operate a no “glass” policy, so don’t bring any Alcohol in glass bottles (which is fairly normal) or you will be relived of it. (or check very carefully before bringing glass bottles etc to the event).
A trolley to drag all your gear is a good idea apparently

edit: from the website: NO glass

06B8425F-A184-4F29-92E8-9E351F2FD27C.png

from experience with Kids at a festival:

Flag pole to identify your pitch from a distance (hopefully )

inexpensive solar fairy lights to provide ambient light outside your van in evening / night.

a very small blow up paddling pool to keep the kids cool whilst at the van.

Ear plugs

A bucket (for small hours number Ones) hidden behind a wind break (rather than use the thunder boxes that won’t have been cleaned since the evening and are invariably the furthest point from your Van at four o clock in the morning).
place the wind break strategically to prevent a path through your plot.

Baby wipes for freshening up.

phone battery packs for charging off grid.

lots of Alcohol and as many bottles of water as you can carry (use old two litre plastic pop bottles As well as 500ml) you cannot leave the event to stock up So you are limited by the number of bottles you can refill (or buy)

lots of ambient food, sweets and snacks (save a fortune vs on-site)

Umberella: shade / rain,

picnic blanket(s)

Henna/ face paints / tattoos etc

lots of cards, games, colouring books etc.

pockets full of change so you can give the correct money to the vendors Or ensure the kids aren’t caring notes.

Zipped pockets: trousers / shorts

long life milk, tea, coffee & a flask For hot water.

Bluetooth Wireless speaker

Spare vehicle key / surf key hold both the other Adult

Edit: Money saving tip: Hot dogs, a large flask : put hot dogs in Flask, boil kettle pour in water; Hot dogs for lunch in the festival (sachets of sauce ) rolls very light any easy to carry to the festival ( nothing to bring back to the van later except an empty Flask)

Last edited:
Not been, but a friend who has advised they used to operate a no “glass” policy, so don’t bring any Alcohol in glass bottles (which is fairly normal) or you will be relived of it. (or check very carefully before bringing glass bottles etc to the event).
A trolley to drag all your gear is a good idea apparently

edit: from the website: NO glass

View attachment 81792
Thanks. I was joking about bringing Mrs Wease’s favourite champagne flute. Obviously she has a plastic version, for outdoor toasting...

from experience with Kids at a festival:

Flag pole to identify your pitch from a distance (hopefully )

inexpensive solar fairy lights to provide ambient light outside your van in evening / night.

a very small blow up paddling pool to keep the kids cool whilst at the van.

Ear plugs

A bucket (for small hours number Ones) hidden behind a wind break (rather than use the thunder boxes that won’t have been cleaned since the evening and are invariably the furthest point from your Van at four o clock in the morning).
place the wind break strategically to prevent a path through your plot.

Baby wipes for freshening up.

phone battery packs for charging off grid.

lots of Alcohol and as many bottles of water as you can carry (use old two litre plastic pop bottles As well as 500ml) you cannot leave the event to stock up So you are limited by the number of bottles you can refill (or buy)

lots of ambient food, sweets and snacks (save a fortune vs on-site)

Umberella: shade / rain,

picnic blanket(s)

Henna/ face paints / tattoos etc

lots of cards, games, colouring books etc.

pockets full of change so you can give the correct money to the vendors Or ensure the kids aren’t caring notes.

Zipped pockets: trousers / shorts

long life milk, tea, coffee & a flask For hot water.

Bluetooth Wireless speaker

Spare vehicle key / surf key hold both the other Adult

Edit: Money saving tip: Hot dogs, a large flask : put hot dogs in Flask, boil kettle pour in water; Hot dogs for lunch in the festival (sachets of sauce ) rolls very light any easy to carry to the festival ( nothing to bring back to the van later except an empty Flask)
Some excellent tips here. Thanks. It is slowly dawning on me that my self-catering will have to be carefully planned around the limited battery life for fridge and the need for zero washing up. Ridgemonkey & kitchen roll all the way. Spam + Primula?!

I’ll have to have another look at the thread about go to emergency meals...

I’m going to risk it without a radio flyer/garden trolley. Our kids are 10 and 12 now and quite well experienced in the world of trudging and grumbling from dog walking (5 miles a day during lockdown one!)

I reckon we can distribute our daily supplies amongst us, in day sacks, bumbags and designer handbags.

It’s going to be quite a liberating experience to not be tethered to the hounds for four days!

Some excellent tips here. Thanks. It is slowly dawning on me that my self-catering will have to be carefully planned around the limited battery life for fridge and the need for zero washing up. Ridgemonkey & kitchen roll all the way. Spam + Primula?!

I’ll have to have another look at the thread about go to emergency meals...
make a meal plan roughly for each day :
example, chicken curry: Dry mix chicken tikka spice added to diced chicken, rice &Nan bread the later two are ambient and can be pre packed, the later can be pre made (raw) and placed in a poly bag then into the freezer.

Set the fridge up as a freezer initially, on the lowest (freezer) temp setting, pre freeze all your food In your home freezer.

transfer all food to the portable van fridge (set to lowest temp, 1 day before required) keeping running as a freezer, shortly before departing for the Festival, switch the temp to 3 degrees C. (Literally as your going to get in the van to leave home)
note: fill all available in the fridge space with can, bottles etc, to minimise air space.

the fridge will keep most of that food frozen for a day, then it will defrost for use and be kept chilled for a couple of days no problem. Freezing the food ensures the fridge has very little work to do to maintain the 3deg temp, filling every available internal space assists the efficiency of the fridge.

wash up at the van using hot water from a gas kettle.

edit ; your fridge should last several days (3+) if the leisure battery is pre charged at home for 24 hours (immediately prior to departure) and is in good health -& you limit draw from other devices by using power packs etc to charge whilst at site.
travelling to the festival, the leisure battery will be fully charged (if you pre charged it) when you arrive. When at the site and setting up increase the fridge temp to 4 degrees C which will further assist in reducing the battery usage.
get a cooler bag for placing evening drink into once back at the van to limit going in & out of the fridge

Last edited:
make a meal plan roughly for each day :
example, chicken curry: Dry mix chicken tikka spice added to diced chicken, rice &Nan bread the later two are ambient and can be pre packed, the later can be pre made (raw) and placed in a poly bag then into the freezer.

Set the fridge up as a freezer initially, on the lowest (freezer) temp setting, pre freeze all your food In your home freezer.

transfer all food to the portable van fridge (set to lowest temp, 1 day before required) keeping running as a freezer, shortly before departing for the Festival, switch the temp to 3 degrees C. (Literally as your going to get in the van to leave home)
note: fill all available in the fridge space with can, bottles etc, to minimise air space.

the fridge will keep most of that food frozen for a day, then it will defrost for use and be kept chilled for a couple of days no problem. Freezing the food ensures the fridge has very little work to do to maintain the 3deg temp, filling every available internal space assists the efficiency of the fridge.

wash up at the van using hot water from a gas kettle.

edit ; your fridge should last several days (3+) if the leisure battery is pre charged at home for 24 hours (immediately prior to departure) and is in good health -& you limit draw from other devices by using power packs etc to charge whilst at site.
travelling to the festival, the leisure battery will be fully charged (if you pre charged it) when you arrive. When at the site and setting up increase the fridge temp to 4 degrees C which will further assist in reducing the battery usage.
get a cooler bag for placing evening drink into once back at the van to limit going in & out of the fridge
+ can recommend a Yeti Hard Cooler. Fill it with 3 bags of ice before you leave home. You will still have ice left on days 3/4 and also handy to chill beers, wine, spirits & mixers! No power required.

+ can recommend a Yeti Hard Cooler. Fill it with 3 bags of ice before you leave home. You will still have ice left on days 3/4 and also handy to chill beers, wine, spirits & mixers! No power required.

Yes - given that we have the juicy and inadequate VW cool box, I have dragged the Coleman Extreme out of the loft...
7787D027-FDF7-4F8B-8CF7-531B87FB1F36.jpeg

We love it as does my daughter who last went when she was 4. It's a highlight of the year.
I wouldn't worry about the 'personal toilet' very small print, not seen that before an we've always taken ours as off elsewhere afterwards (hopefully a ferry...).

We do zero cooking as not really hanging at the van much, we enjoy all the lovely food (and drink) stalls. Coffee in the am and that's it.
Solar Panel is very useful if it's hot and the fridge is working hard. A decorated truck/trolley is a must if your kids of a certain age want cred. And for dragging stuff about.

The whole thing is amazing and so glad it's on.

I’m a first timer going in my new Coast. I’m taking my portapotti because I can’t leave my little one on her own in the middle of the night and plan to hide it. I plan to eat at the festival and not cook - will have breakfast and coffee in the van of a morning. I love the tip of lights at night - just ordered some. I am a little worried about finding it in the dark. I hope the weather will be good

Take several torches and lots of spare batteries. If you have room in the fridge, fill a couple of 2 litre plastic bottles with water and freeze them at home, to give the fridge a bit of extra boost, or use them as ice packs in an extra coolbox. When they defrost you can use them for making your tea, coffee, squash. A flagpole with a flag or two and/or with (solar) lights wound round it is useful for locating your van. Put extra clothing in your trolley/rucksack/whatever as you don't want to trog all the way back to the van if it gets cold or rains.

Thanks again for the tips.

The food & booze lasted really well for four days in the Coleman Extreme.

We had an excellent time but we really really really should have taken the portapotti and toilet tent. My minor revulsion about emptying this into the disposal would have been nothing, compared with the actual TRAUMA of using the festival ‘compost’ loos! I can only hope that the 2022 Bestival ticket price hike is because the organisers are going to get the loos right next time!

We had an excellent time but we really really really should have taken the portapotti and toilet tent. My minor revulsion about emptying this into the disposal would have been nothing, compared with the actual TRAUMA of using the festival ‘compost’ loos! I can only hope that the 2022 Bestival ticket price hike is because the organisers are going to get the loos right next time!
What’s your best tip for others !

Hope you had a good time, some of music looked epic, but saw some horror stories from the bad weather.

We unfortunately missed the full thing due to isolating as the youngest caught covid in the last week of term.

The toilets were indeed shocking. I took my portapotti so we were fine at night and we often popped back in the afternoon. Which campsite were you on? We were at yellow - only 15 mins walk and very quiet. I am thinking of booking the front row camper or kids garden next year. I loved the festival - my first time

What’s your best tip for others !
Haha I think that’s pretty obvious. I think @Haves1979 was spot on with his portapotti. As he said, despite it being on the prohibited items list, there was a washout point in the campervan field for this very purpose.

I was pretty envious of those people with a solar shower hanging off the side of their vans. Not so much for showering, but just for easier running water and hand washing.

Just to labour the point: there were no hand washing facilities provided for us at the entire event, other than our own water carrier cube and soap. This, despite the toilets being an absolute slop-show!

The event organisers‘ disregard for hygiene strengthened our decision to self cater. We had planned to have a big blow-out on the event food on the last day, but we couldn’t convince ourselves that the caterers all disappeared down a secret tunnel to use their own spotless toilets and hand washing facilities!

Festival toilets are always slightly medieval, not sure you can fix that unless you fork out for glamping. Arguably the pit toilets are better than the portaloos, certainly for the environment.

There was lots of hand sanitiser and some free water points where you could wash hands.

The food is all cooked fresh in front of you and not touched at all in most cases so I would chill out a bit and just enjoy, it’s a festival after all, otherwise you miss out on life trying to avoid all risks.

Hope you had a good time, some of music looked epic, but saw some horror stories from the bad weather.

We unfortunately missed the full thing due to isolating as the youngest caught covid in the last week of term.
That’s really disappointing for you. But there really is a silver lining here:

Your tickets carry forward to next year without the huge price hike, particularly children’s ticket prices. If your children have moved into the next age group by then, hopefully Bestival will still honour the original purchase price. Many of the best acts had to cancel due to Covid, leaving a really limited selection of big names this year. The toilets definitely won’t be worse next year. Impossible!

The winds on the first night/2nd morning were indeed a bit hairy, but didn’t really detract from the enjoyment. I saw a few damaged tents but they must’ve been incorrectly pitched or poor quality.
Rain along with the wind would have been a disaster, but that was thankfully in very little.

That’s really disappointing for you. But there really is a silver lining here:

Your tickets carry forward to next year without the huge price hike, particularly children’s ticket prices. If your children have moved into the next age group by then, hopefully Bestival will still honour the original purchase price. Many of the best acts had to cancel due to Covid, leaving a really limited selection of big names this year. The toilets definitely won’t be worse next year. Impossible!

The winds on the first night/2nd morning were indeed a bit hairy, but didn’t really detract from the enjoyment. I saw a few damaged tents but they must’ve been incorrectly pitched or poor quality.
Rain along with the wind would have been a disaster, but that was thankfully in very little.
Yes it was a bit gutting, as we booked in 2019 and obviously last year was cancelled. Both kids were fine, but both myself and my wife subsequently got covid and been pretty rough with it, so in hindsight lucky that we discovered when we did, otherwise we'd have had got there just to have a 7hr drive home.

Ticketmaster have said that we can roll forward, but no other details than that yet.

Festival toilets are always slightly medieval, not sure you can fix that unless you fork out for glamping. Arguably the pit toilets are better than the portaloos, certainly for the environment.

There was lots of hand sanitiser and some free water points where you could wash hands.

The food is all cooked fresh in front of you and not touched at all in most cases so I would chill out a bit and just enjoy, it’s a festival after all, otherwise you miss out on life trying to avoid all risks.
The drinking water dispenser was indeed right next to the toilets, with a large queue and I wouldn’t want to miss out on life standing there! Also would it be fair to wash my hands after the toilet, using the taps that people are using for their drinking water? Also note that the hand sanitiser was empty or completely missing at least half of the time I tried them. I just used my own.

I think the campervan field toilets were in fact the worst ever experienced by any of the seasoned festival goers with whom I spoke. Some had come from Latitude festival the previous week, where they complained about the toilets. But then they found Bestival toilets really something else!

Compost toilets are indeed a suitable environmentally friendly alternative to chemical toilets, however several serious design & execution flaws rendered these particular compost toilets a joke.

If only the food was all cooked fresh in front of you. Of course it wasn’t, but this would make no difference to the unsanitary hands, preparing and serving.

I was extremely chilled out for the entire four days. I was absolutely in my element, as it was basically camping, drinking, cooking and dad-dancing to live music. I created this thread for tips, and of course tips tend to be solutions to problems, hence I have talked about the problems, so sorry if this appears negative to you.

Back