Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camper van returning sign

M

McMeefia

After staying on several campsites last year where the pitches were 'unmarked', I was just wondering if anyone uses a 'campervan returning /pitch reserved sign?' We usually have our Quechua base tent up so we know our pitch won't be taken, but on some of the busier sites a sign to mark where we're expecting to park might be usefull.
Just interested to hear if anyone has a campervan specific sign rather than the horrid motor home signs I've seen so far.

We were going to get some club ones made up if the interest was there but it went on the back burner, in the meantime I think there are some campervan related ones on Ebay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I seem to remember dr John having a flashing colapsable cone :thumb

I think I upset a chap on a site a few weeks back when I saw him in the pub in the local village. I'd seen him with a cone early in the morning (and it was obviously being put in place to keep their pitch and they could drive to the village) I asked him if "was a momento from a particularly good night out?"

His wife was NOT impressed...

VRe: Camper van returning sign

parrots mum said:
Yes, use ours all the time.

Do you have the flashing cone :?: if so where did you buy it :?:

I made up a few a while back with my own (old) custom Cali logo.

[album]985[/album]

Use mine all the time, even when not leaving the pitch.

I like the idea of the collapsible cone to put it on though :)

Seem to be available on ebay for around £10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMERGENCY-SAF ... 0939303950

M

My husband made our sign by cutting a rectangle from the bottom of a good quality spare tin (possible expensive biscuits given us at Christmas--can't recall)--hammer the edges to remove sharp bits--make two rectangular ground pegs, with points at bottom, from the spare metal---attach to sign, at sides, using s/steel nuts/bolts. Paint front of sign with whatever spare paint you have (preferably metal paint---ours is green). Buy some stick-on lettering in a large size to add your reg number OR get some fablon, or similar, from an art shop and cut out a motorhome shape. If you're rubbish at drawing you can always trace one from a magazine.
We've just changed our last motorhome for a new Cali T5. It was easy enough to peel off the old reg number and add the new one. There are no numbers in these stick-on letter packs so you have to do a bit of lateral thinking to make a number with bits of letters (if you get my drift).
Why make our own--well the bought ones looked very flimsy and we knew we could make one that would survive the British weather/hard ground etc. We've had it since 1999 and this will be it's fourth, and possibly, last revamp.

Ahhh... Very true Parrots Mum... you can't beat making your own.

Cali Craft :)

parrots mum said:
My husband made our sign by cutting a rectangle from the bottom of a good quality spare tin (possible expensive biscuits given us at Christmas--can't recall)--hammer the edges to remove sharp bits--make two rectangular ground pegs, with points at bottom, from the spare metal---attach to sign, at sides, using s/steel nuts/bolts. Paint front of sign with whatever spare paint you have (preferably metal paint---ours is green). Buy some stick-on lettering in a large size to add your reg number OR get some fablon, or similar, from an art shop and cut out a motorhome shape. If you're rubbish at drawing you can always trace one from a magazine.
We've just changed our last motorhome for a new Cali T5. It was easy enough to peel off the old reg number and add the new one. There are no numbers in these stick-on letter packs so you have to do a bit of lateral thinking to make a number with bits of letters (if you get my drift).
Why make our own--well the bought ones looked very flimsy and we knew we could make one that would survive the British weather/hard ground etc. We've had it since 1999 and this will be it's fourth, and possibly, last revamp.

Hi any chance you could post a picture of your design. :?: :thumb

John

Anyone got any recent recommendations and suggestions for this? I was thinking a sign as will be camping in a field for 7 days.
The EBay link above showed empty.

We simply use the collapsible warning triangle, marked with details of our Cali.

Folded out it simply goes over the pitch marker post. With the triangle fully deployed it is stable and invariably obscuring the pitch post number.

We have never had any issues from other campers trying to claim our reserved pitch.

We see no value in carrying something else around with us when we already have this.

And of course, if we have a breakdown then it is reusable for that purpose too!

We simply use the collapsible warning triangle, marked with details of our Cali.

Folded out it simply goes over the pitch marker post. With the triangle fully deployed it is stable and invariably obscuring the pitch post number.

We have never had any issues from other campers trying to claim our reserved pitch.

We see no value in carrying something else around with us when we already have this.

And of course, if we have a breakdown then it is reusable for that purpose too!
Ah, but you can’t use it as a frisbee on the beach :) :)

Anyone got any recent recommendations and suggestions for this? I was thinking a sign as will be camping in a field for 7 days.
The EBay link above showed empty.
My niece made us this one a couple off years ago. She runs a personalised gift business from home laser etching products. This is her website to contact her if you are interested - https://littlegemsgifts.co.uk/about/ I dont think the signs are on there but I'm sure she would give you a price if you contact her.

IMG_5516.jpegIMG_5516.jpeg

Last edited:
Went for 107 and “campervan” words in the end.
A6BE46B8-C930-4796-9202-E1B76DAF474B.jpeg
Thanks for suggestions

Back