Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CamperX solar

C

Catje

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I was looking into the solar solution from CamperX (located in Switzerland). The advantage, at least for us, is you can connect whenever you need it. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this solution... all feedback is welcome

Just checked it out.....very expensive ! I wonder if you have to get to the batteries each time you wanna connect it ......or they provide a "quick release" cable or something.

649chf? Thats about £520? For me it is a lot of money for a 100w panel but it is a very compact design.

I would bear in mind that simply putting any solar setup behind a windscreen can reduce its output by upto half , good for a trickle charge but it would need to be outside to get max charge.

However we have one that is removable and folds away, and for us that's a good solution. its very handy as you can always maximise the sun without leaving the van in the heat.

I do have a van with a permanent panel on the roof too and they are a great addition to help you stay hookup free for longer.

You can get a regular 100w folding panel for around £150-£250 but it will be thicker and may be heavier (like a little suitcase). I think the higher price is for the compact and very slim design.

It depends how much you value the space it saves I guess.

I was looking into the solar solution from CamperX (located in Switzerland). The advantage, at least for us, is you can connect whenever you need it. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this solution... all feedback is welcome
I guess solar solutions from Switzerland are expensive. Always
Look at this https://www.autosolar.ch/de/18-komplettanlagen (sorry only German).

I am looking for something similar. I spoke with Solar Camper Solutions yesterday who seem to have some good kits that bolt into the roof rails on the Cali, so I guess they are removable if you want to. There's several threads where they are mentioned, and I think they offer a 5% discount for VIP members. They also ship to Europe.

We have the Solar Camper panel & it has performed very well for 2 years now. It is removable but not in an everyday way. It bolts onto the channels as explained above & the wiring is fixed onto the leisure batteries via the necessary controllers. It is discreet and doesn't increase the height of the vehicle.

I have arrived on site in the summer with full batteries from the drive. Stayed for a week with the fridge on all the time and then left, still with the batteries on 100%.
It also avoids the need to plug the vehicle into an EHU for 24 hours each month.
There are a lot of threads about Solar Panels that you might find useful.

Why would you not want a 'permanent' panel on the roof - especially in your country?! ;)

A good quality 100w panel with 250w capacity (allowing second panel if needed) Victron controller with Bluetooth smartphone control is under £300 to put together and works like a dream - fit and forget. Even then the panel can be unbolted from the roof in a few minutes if needed.