Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping Denmark

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, we are planning a trip to Denmark during the last 2 weeks of August.

We like to keep the schedule flexible and we like to move every day / couple of days.

We are planning to work our way up the west coast and probably back down the east.

Can anyone tell us if we need to pre-book our camping or can we ‘pitch up’ as it were?

TIA

Steve

There is a Meet in Denmark 7-9, September. I just open registration today. Even if you do not join, you might find good inspiration if you go and download the program prospect (PDF) from the registration page.

http://www.henrikkaufmann.dk/meet2018

We like to keep the schedule flexible and we like to move every day / couple of days.

We are planning to work our way up the west coast and probably back down the east.

Can anyone tell us if we need to pre-book our camping or can we ‘pitch up’ as it were?

TIA

Steve
Hi we camped at Charlottenlund fort campsite just outside Copenhagen in May 2017. Would recommend booking as it got very busy. Great site. 30 min bus ride from outside site to city centre. Site is right on the beach.

TIA

Steve

Some small campings can be fully booked, but I don't think it will be an issue to get around. Remember there are also pits in many of the leisure harbours. Here you have access to good bath and washing facilities and often a view of the sea.

Denmark does not have "almansret" like in Sweden, so you are not allowed to camp free as you like. But you can always sleep in your car, as long as you do not camp (having the roof up, leaving things outside the car, staying for several days - it is always up to judgement), and there is no sign against staying overnight of cause (some popular carparks have that). I have done a lot of overnight stays outside campsites, and it is doable, as long as you use common sense, respect others and find a remote spot. But remember, while in the car, sleeping or not - do not to drink alcohol while in public areas. You risk a fine for drunk driving …

Besides campsites and harbours, there are a many private (farmers) that offers pits on their property. That can also be a pleasant experience. There are some apps for that.

Regarding what you should see and do, there are so many things and it is up to own reference what you like. In the meet prospect, there is an inspiration for this small area (Rømø), but there are also links to i.e. https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/tourist-frontpage - from there you can go further, and find that each area has its own webpage. On larger gas stations you also find walls with brochures for all kind of things to see and do.

Some small campings can be fully booked, but I don't think it will be an issue to get around. Remember there are also pits in many of the leisure harbours. Here you have access to good bath and washing facilities and often a view of the sea.

Denmark does not have "almansret" like in Sweden, so you are not allowed to camp free as you like. But you can always sleep in your car, as long as you do not camp (having the roof up, leaving things outside the car, staying for several days - it is always up to judgement), and there is no sign against staying overnight of cause (some popular carparks have that). I have done a lot of overnight stays outside campsites, and it is doable, as long as you use common sense, respect others and find a remote spot. But remember, while in the car, sleeping or not - do not to drink alcohol while in public areas. You risk a fine for drunk driving …

Besides campsites and harbours, there are a many private (farmers) that offers pits on their property. That can also be a pleasant experience. There are some apps for that.

Regarding what you should see and do, there are so many things and it is up to own reference what you like. In the meet prospect, there is an inspiration for this small area (Rømø), but there are also links to i.e. https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/tourist-frontpage - from there you can go further, and find that each area has its own webpage. On larger gas stations you also find walls with brochures for all kind of things to see and do.

Hi Kmann
I’m thinking of fitting a roof box for our Northern Lights Trip after seeing you guys in Romo . Do you think this is a good idea or will it be very restricting for parking etc . Your opinion much appreciated .

Hi Kmann
I’m thinking of fitting a roof box for our Northern Lights Trip after seeing you guys in Romo . Do you think this is a good idea or will it be very restricting for parking etc . Your opinion much appreciated .

Do it … the only limitations I had was access to a few parking houses/cellars/lots. But have never bothered, the extra space is worth the hassle once now and then. I have never seen it as a problem. Now my biggest challenge is that I want both my huge Thule box and 2 large SUP boards on top – seems like I meet my limit ;-)

PS: Must say I rather avoid narrow parking areas and walk a little extra instead.

36F2EF0D-3C57-4452-B3E3-2406A2B93626.jpeg
Do it … the only limitations I had was access to a few parking houses/cellars/lots. But have never bothered, the extra space is worth the hassle once now and then. I have never seen it as a problem. Now my biggest challenge is that I want both my huge Thule box and 2 large SUP boards on top – seems like I meet my limit ;-)

PS: Must say I rather avoid narrow parking areas and walk a little extra instead.

You need one of these Kmann . No limit !

Hi - we lived and camped In Denmark for 3 years. You will have a great time. When you plan to go summer holidays are over for Danes - you won’t need to book unless on weekend at small site if it is very sunny.

Have a look at this if not seen it before:

https://m.dk-camp.dk/?lanGuid=3

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmann and Trev, thanks for the advice.
Pleasure. By the way if you go there always take the bus in to the city. Not worth walking through the forest to get to the train station.