Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping hacks

T

Tandt

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
We have a t4 conversion at present as cali layout doesn't suit our needs but hope to change in about 3 years time. We have no fridge and no heater unless we go on hook up which we don't normally. We have camped for a long time so picked up a few hacks which we naturally do. If some beginners are also new to camping thought they may be of help. Also others may have some ideas which I hope to pick up along the way. My first thoughts are
Take a hot water bottle if you get cold feet.
Take a good quality flask and keep the spare water. Instant drinks.
Wear warm slippers inside. The floor always seems cold. We also put down bath mats which can easily be washed
I have a coat hook and if they get dripping wet I enclose them in a big bag and hook that on the hook as well
Take lots of layers of clothing for all British eventualities.
We keep our clothing in Aldi bags. You can carry them in and out of the van en masse (it's a woman thing).
Hope these have been of use. Will do my food hacks another time

Make your own scented candles:
Remove the middle bit of an orange, carve a hole at the top and pop a tealight in the middle of the peel for a moody, sweet-smelling DIY scented candle

Be clever with your first aid kit
Keep clutter to a minimum by packing a clever first aid kit. Aspirin can be used to treat bee stings, and tea tree oil acts as a great bug repellent.

Bring more toilet paper
Remove the cardboard centre from your toilet paper, flatten it and wrap it in a plastic bag to save space.

Bring baby wipes
The camper’s favourite hack; use these to wipe down equipment or give yourself a quick freshen up

Freeze food and drink before putting it in the cool box
To extend the life of your cool box, freeze as much as you can before you pack it, and if you can’t freeze an item, at least make sure it is chilled, rather than at room temperature before you place it in the cooler. Remember too that the fuller your cool box is, the more effectively it will keep the contents cool.

Keep matches clean, safe and dry
Use an old baby food container and put some sandpaper on the lid

Packing if short of space
Roll shirts and stuffing them inside socks is a great way to make sure that you have plenty of room for all of your clothing

Tic-Tac Boxed Spices
Empty Tic-Tac boxes make the perfect traveling boxes for spices. If you really want to be fancy, print out stickers with the names of your spices, or you could just write them in with a sharpie. THey occupy a lot less space!

Egg Storage
If you need beaten eggs, and you want an easier way to carry them, clean out a water bottle and put them in there. You just beat them beforehand and pour them into the bottle. Not only does this ensure you’re not cleaning broken eggs from your cooler, it makes it really easy to just pour your eggs out when you need them.

Soap Pouch
You will need a flannel or facecloth that you turn into a pouch, which holds your soap and doubles as a sort of bathing sponge. Once the soap is gone, you can just add another bar and use it again and again.

Make your own scented candles:
Remove the middle bit of an orange, carve a hole at the top and pop a tealight in the middle of the peel for a moody, sweet-smelling DIY scented candle

Be clever with your first aid kit
Keep clutter to a minimum by packing a clever first aid kit. Aspirin can be used to treat bee stings, and tea tree oil acts as a great bug repellent.

Bring more toilet paper
Remove the cardboard centre from your toilet paper, flatten it and wrap it in a plastic bag to save space.

Bring baby wipes
The camper’s favourite hack; use these to wipe down equipment or give yourself a quick freshen up

Freeze food and drink before putting it in the cool box
To extend the life of your cool box, freeze as much as you can before you pack it, and if you can’t freeze an item, at least make sure it is chilled, rather than at room temperature before you place it in the cooler. Remember too that the fuller your cool box is, the more effectively it will keep the contents cool.

Keep matches clean, safe and dry
Use an old baby food container and put some sandpaper on the lid

Packing if short of space
Roll shirts and stuffing them inside socks is a great way to make sure that you have plenty of room for all of your clothing

Tic-Tac Boxed Spices
Empty Tic-Tac boxes make the perfect traveling boxes for spices. If you really want to be fancy, print out stickers with the names of your spices, or you could just write them in with a sharpie. THey occupy a lot less space!

Egg Storage
If you need beaten eggs, and you want an easier way to carry them, clean out a water bottle and put them in there. You just beat them beforehand and pour them into the bottle. Not only does this ensure you’re not cleaning broken eggs from your cooler, it makes it really easy to just pour your eggs out when you need them.

Soap Pouch
You will need a flannel or facecloth that you turn into a pouch, which holds your soap and doubles as a sort of bathing sponge. Once the soap is gone, you can just add another bar and use it again and again.

Thanks for those Juan. Forgot i knew some but learned a couple of new ones. The toilet roll is supposed to be used from the inside but I always forget and undo outside. I now just flatten mine to avoid rolling away then hang it in the toilet tent in a freezer bag. Classy.

Thanks for those Juan. Forgot i knew some but learned a couple of new ones. The toilet roll is supposed to be used from the inside but I always forget and undo outside. I now just flatten mine to avoid rolling away then hang it in the toilet tent in a freezer bag. Classy.
A few more food ideas.
When at home cook double amount when having curry, chilli stew etc and freeze half to take away.
microwave sachets of rice can be heated in a pan.
If you like naan breads they can be heated in a ridge monkey. Just turn frequently or you will have toast.
If you need 3 rings and are using the ridge monkey stand one on top of it to keep warm.
The ainsley harriett Moroccan tagine is delicious and only needs cubed meat or veg
Have also got the Thai curry but not tried it yet. Got them for £1 from bargain buys

We are in our 2nd year but learnt such a lot and still doing so.

Saucepans with removable handles packs away much easier.
Treated ourselves to a Mulberry Silk duvet and pillows packs away so much smaller than fibre and really warm.
Keep short wellies in van rather than long takes up less room
Use packing cubes for all clothes.
Got battery LED press lights for inside all cupboards and wardrobe now we can see what we are looking for.
Got a single electric hob for when we are on hook up to see our gas.
Collapsible washing up bowl, bucket and electric kettle
Collapsible crate with handles to take dishes to pot wash.
Dry bag for the dog.