Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping holidays set to return...

Right now we seem to have travel and tourism industry reps and business leaders all trying to talk up the prospects of their sector opening up soon, while the politicians seem to be equally keen to downplay it.

As what happens is in the hands of the government, rather than the industry, I'm following what the politicians say as the best guide for the time being.

Read today that 'Germany aims for free travel in Europe by June 15'. Don't know how realistic that is.

Even better: We will have summer tourist season, promises EU (BBC)

Germany aims for free travel in Europe by June 15 (Telegraph)

As said, all is still very uncertain and it all depends on how things will develop in the coming weeks, but for those hoping they'll be able to travel within Europe this summer, it's a a straw to grasp.

And in dutch:

De EU presenteert vandaag richtlijnen over vakanties: dit kunnen we ervan verwachten (Volkskrant)
EU probeert toerisme te redden met corridors, maar zonder coronapaspoort (Trouw)

Read today that 'Germany aims for free travel in Europe by June 15'. Don't know how realistic that is.

Germany infection rate has been increasing over past 3 days and looking at possible lockdown again

Bollox.

Where has that info come from?

The restaurants and pubs have only just to begin to open today.
I read that too. Thing is, other countries must be open too. I'd have liked to go to Italy from Germany for Summer Holidays. Germany may open, what about Austria? They may open the border with Germany but not with Italy.

It's not bollox. Google it. Preferrably before yelling bollox ;-) R has been under 1 for weeks in Germany. Monday it was at 1.13. They have had some regional outbreaks and have regional lockdowns because of it.

I read that too. Thing is, other countries must be open too. I'd have liked to go to Italy from Germany for Summer Holidays. Germany may open, what about Austria? They may open the border with Germany but not with Italy.
I think there is a very, very slim chance that we could visit
foreign lands this summer.

What you could do though is a camping trip up the Rhein cooking
italian food, make sure that you are obnoxious as you plate it up and
deliver it, then charge yourself a fortune for the food.

On your way home just throw a few quid out of the window, and hey presto,
you'll think you've been to Italy :)

It's not bollox. Google it. Preferrably before yelling bollox ;-) R has been under 1 for weeks in Germany. Monday it was at 1.13. They have had some regional outbreaks and have regional lockdowns because of it.
It is still nonsense. Their R is 0.94, it went over 1 for 2 days due to data delays on reporting. They have averaged 100-200 deaths/day over last 7 days. Way below where we are.
Wait for ‘smoothed’ data, any 1 day can look bad without all data!

This afternoon in Switzerland they (Bundesrat) have announced the borders are expect to open with Germany, Austria and France on 15 June. This is in coordination with these countries. A final decision to be made on 27 May. There may be some cross-border passage for certain people before then, e.g. binational couples.
No mention of the Italian border that I noticed.
I think our summer holiday will be in the van, in Switzerland. It could be worse!

I too would like to be able to go abroad. I should already have been in France this year and in June I planned a month in Norway.
But all of these assumptions are "sword shots in the water" (french expression) and the only truth is nobody knows.
The only realistic option is WAIT AND SEE"

Is it fair to assume, that for the ones that use actual camping sites, we will severely restricted with the use of toilets, showers and sinks for the washing up?
I count that IF the facilities will be accessible at all, they will have at best half the capacity to allow 1.5m distance between people.
Not particularly fond of queuing up for my washing up or shower.
There's going to be a lot of single use plastic dishes and glasses this summer.
Wait, hurry up, go hoard them at the supermarket! :0)))

I think they will try to present one plan voor the whole of Europe, which is fairly ambitious... In Belgium they promise a decision by the end of next week. In my opinion, countries will open (tourism is very important for economy), but getting were you want looks not so easy: if the North of France stays closed, getting from Belgium to Normandy would not be possible !?

I think they will try to present one plan voor the whole of Europe, which is fairly ambitious... In Belgium they promise a decision by the end of next week. In my opinion, countries will open (tourism is very important for economy), but getting were you want looks not so easy: if the North of France stays closed, getting from Belgium to Normandy would not be possible !?
They could keep areas closed but open motorway corridors through the closed areas. This would be especially easy on France's toll roads where all exits have péage booths.

Announcement today that Swiss borders with France, Germany and Austria will be open to tourist traffic from June 15th. Frontier with Italy likely to stay closed for a while longer. Aim is to salvage as much of the tourist industry as possible.
Swiss border checks will be significantly reduced from Friday, although the Swiss Justice Minister says the final decisions Will depend on the level of infections.

Is it fair to assume, that for the ones that use actual camping sites, we will severely restricted with the use of toilets, showers and sinks for the washing up?
I count that IF the facilities will be accessible at all, they will have at best half the capacity to allow 1.5m distance between people.
Not particularly fond of queuing up for my washing up or shower.
There's going to be a lot of single use plastic dishes and glasses this summer.
Wait, hurry up, go hoard them at the supermarket! :0)))
Looks like static caravans first then caravans etc with own facilities but no tents as they are not solid.

Germany infection rate has been increasing over past 3 days and looking at possible lockdown again
No, odd spike here snd there followed by immediate track & trace. They are light years ahead of us on this,

Chap from CMC was on Radio 4 this afternoon, seemed pretty confident sites would be open from 4th July.

Back