Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in 2021does not bode well!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Preamble - Mrs B and I may have a problem looming. We have always looked after our three nearest grandchildren for much of their holidays. As the blighters will insist on growing we are going to have a problem in the not too distant future. With the eldest boy being eleven and the two girls being seven and nine things are going to get rather tight inside when Cali camping. So as just one option, we have been half-heartedly looking at caravans. I will say at this point that I don't like caravans at all and hate the thought of towing all that fragile chipboard and plastic around etc. However, it would be one way to sort the issue out. Boys in the Cali and girls in the caravan. To that end we have been treating the exploration of the various possible future options as a very weak excuse for a jolly in order to enjoy our newly found freedom. Visit somewhere, have a good nose around the options, see some nice countryside and have a good picnic as well. You know the format.

Now to my point. Yesterday we visited two places that sell caravans. One was a smallish local business with maybe three dozen vans for sale, all second hand. The other was a dealer that sold only brand new caravans. They had many dozens of them rammed into every nook and cranny of their extensive compound and showrooms. To my surprise, with the exception of just four new vans at the dealers and two poor second hand examples at the first business, every other caravan had a sold sticker on it. Whilst that suited me down to the ground it rang alarm bells for this summers travel prospects. Whilst I was aware that the sales of tents, campervans, motorhomes and caravans had been very strong both last year and again this year, I had no idea of the scale of this "feeding frenzy". I haven't even tried to book any campsites during the summer holidays but it's my guess that I'd be wasting my time!

Last edited:
Wife had been looking at caravans in case we can't get to Spain. Only one that meets her approval is 8ft wide and 8m long, absolute bargain (not) at £32k!!! fixed bed & big bathroom.

I refused to drag that all round the country & don't want it on the drive at home, however I could see it working if we got a seasonal serviced pitch & left it there as a flexible alternative to a mobile home.

We are just having a family forum to judge how much use it would get, our 21 year old twins could use it with partners, my parents might, but it would be down to me to tow it.

An Initial show of hands looks like we could fill it every week from now up to the end of October. If its going to get used I don't mind buying it. So going to mull it over for the weekend whilst camping in the cali in what looks to be a wet & windy weekend.

Wife had been looking at caravans in case we can't get to Spain. Only one that meets her approval is 8ft wide and 8m long, absolute bargain (not) at £32k!!! fixed bed & big bathroom.

I refused to drag that all round the country & don't want it on the drive at home, however I could see it working if we got a seasonal serviced pitch & left it there as a flexible alternative to a mobile home.

We are just having a family forum to judge how much use it would get, our 21 year old twins could use it with partners, my parents might, but it would be down to me to tow it.

An Initial show of hands looks like we could fill it every week from now up to the end of October. If its going to get used I don't mind buying it. So going to mull it over for the weekend whilst camping in the cali in what looks to be a wet & windy weekend.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea as long as it stays in one location for a fairly long time. It wouldn't suit us but out of interest what are the rough costs of a seasonal serviced pitch?

I'm in the process of tugging a caravan across the country.

Firstly it's not just one more thing to go wrong, it is the thing that always foes wrong in my experience.

Then there is the wonderful experience of towing: I cite two examples, one each from my last two excursions. The steep uphill with ominous signs of "road narrows, be prepared to stop", a sharp left hand bend and a nose to nose confrontation with 40 tons of iron that is not going anywhere but forwards. Great fun getting out, waving to all the other drivers behind to back up, then reverse the thing 200 yards around a bend before parking it tight against a stone wall just so 40 ton man can make forward progress.

The other big thrill was two days ago. My carefully planned route to get here via roads the width of an airfield all came unstuck with the dreaded "Road closed, Diversion" sign. No problem in the Cali but the 2.3m wide lump behind definitely took a dislike to Thetfords finest country lanes. In fact after Thetford the town I needed Thetford the device :shocked

Last edited:
Your 11 year grandson is probably ripe for choosing and owning his own tent.

So many positives. Not just for the cost savings but also the joy of not having to tow a tin shed.
Agree.
I was concerned about the same as my son got older… he just sleeps in the tent now except overnights where we all squeeze in varying locations!

I can't stand the wobble boxes myself but their very much in demand.
A couple of colleages have just bought huge twin axle monsters and the patter from the dealer is they sell anything they can get their hands on.

If you just needed a couple of extra beds and some indoor cooking, take a look at the Swift Basecamp. https://www.swiftbasecamp.co.uk/
If we were going to look seriously at caravans I think it would have to be something like the Swift basecamp or an Eriba. I really don't want to tow a detached bungalow around behind me. :thumb

Have you thought about some of the smaller/compact trailers...
Tabs, Eriba or Barefoot etc?

I would rather pull around one of those, than drive a 6m+ Great White.
Plus, it sounds like the extra space is only needed now and again.

Your 11 year grandson is probably ripe for choosing and owning his own tent.

So many positives. Not just for the cost savings but also the joy of not having to tow a tin shed.
Not a bad idea although that would put him outside on his own. Whilst he might be approaching the age where he would prefer his own company he's still competeing against the girls for our undivided attention. Might try that in due course.

One solution we are looking at is to take them away separately. Since the three of them spend much of the time fighting that might be the answer. :thumb

That doesn't sound like a bad idea as long as it stays in one location for a fairly long time. It wouldn't suit us but out of interest what are the rough costs of a seasonal serviced pitch?
Works out about £800/month - now searching for stay & store sites, some C&MH sites have storage facilities which are reasonably priced & you just pay pitch prices when actually staying there.

Not a bad idea although that would put him outside on his own. Whilst he might be approaching the age where he would prefer his own company he's still competeing against the girls for our undivided attention. Might try that in due course.

One solution we are looking at is to take them away separately. Since the three of them spend much of the time fighting that might be the answer. :thumb
Easiest solution is for you to join him in the tent Borris, problem solved.

Good heavens, that takes me back to the nineteen sixties. I must have been about young Monty's age then.

My father built something like that out of Vespa front suspension components and plywood. It was very basic but was something similar in terms of design. He and my mother had been to the Camping Exibition at Earls Court during one of their cease fires!!! He returned all fired up and built a handsome trailer tent. The only trouble was he built it rather too well. It's maiden voyage was to the then Yugoslavia towed behind a Morris 1000 Traveller. He actually drove us all the way to the border with Albania before turning round.

The problem was it was way too heavy. This resulted in the vespa wheels cracking up every few hundred miles. I remember that holiday being a succession of stops to have them welded up. On reflection, since we passed through Italy both going and returning I now ask myself why he didn't pick up a couple of Vespa wheels as spares. I suppose money was tight then and he was never one to splash out on such unnecessary items.

Anyway, the Opus camper is very interesting but not for us. We are trying to distance ourselves from canvas or the likes. :thanks

I'm in the process of tugging a caravan across the country.

Firstly it's not just one more thing to go wrong, it is the thing that always foes wrong in my experience.

Then there is the wonderful experience of towing: I cite two examples, one each from my last two excursions. The steep uphill with ominous signs of "road narrows, be prepared to stop", a sharp left hand bend and a nose to nose confrontation with 40 tons of iron that is not going anywhere but forwards. Great fun getting out, waving to all the other drivers behind to back up, then reverse the thing 200 yards around a bend before parking it tight against a stone wall just so 40 ton man can make forward progress.

The other big thrill was two days ago. My carefully planned route to get here via roads the width of an airfield all came unstuck with the dreaded "Road closed, Diversion" size. No problem in the Cali but the 2.3m wide lump behind definitely took a dislike to Thetfords finest country lanes. In fact after Thetford the town I needed Thetford the device :shocked
I've done a fair bit of towing over the years and agree with you that whilst necessary at times it is never as pleasant as not towing at all. Having now looked at some of these huge caravans I'm left wondering if the purchase price, storage, maintenance and getting it to where you are going outways any pleasure that may be derived? Clearly it is for many people but I'm now certain that the larger ones at least, aren't for us.

I am still interested in exploring the much smaller Eriba style caravans though if only to rule them out. I have read about their excellent steel framed built quality and believe they hold their value better that others. It may still be a no but it's a good excuse for an outing in order to find out. The only trouble is there are no stockists in the South East.

I've done a fair bit of towing over the years and agree with you that whilst necessary at times it is never as pleasant as not towing at all. Having now looked at some of these huge caravans I'm left wondering if the purchase price, storage, maintenance and getting it to where you are going outways any pleasure that may be derived? Clearly it is for many people but I'm now certain that the larger ones at least, aren't for us.

I am still interested in exploring the much smaller Eriba style caravans though if only to rule them out. I have read about their excellent steel framed built quality and believe they hold their value better that others. It may still be a no but it's a good excuse for an outing in order to find out. The only trouble is there are no stockists in the South East.
Your DIY competent Borris. What about this?

7004E391-F7FB-49BB-8267-90B218D179DB.jpeg

I believe the nearest Eriba stockist to you would be automotive leisure in poole. I bought three Eriba's off them. Eriba's are the cali of campers/motorhomes, really very strong residuals. They also have the advantage that at 2m wide they are in practice no wider than the Cali when towing.

Easiest solution is for you to join him in the tent Borris, problem solved.
You're right of course. Although I had rather hoped that my days of actual camping in a tent were over. :Nailbiting

It isn't a major issue and we do have ways to accomodate everyone at present so the outcome of this "research" is likely to be no further action required at present.

I believe the nearest Eriba stockist to you would be automotive leisure in poole. I bought three Eriba's off them. Eriba's are the cali of campers/motorhomes, really very strong residuals. They also have the advantage that at 2m wide they are in practice no wider than the Cali when towing.
Thanks for that GJ. I feel an outing to Poole coming on with possibly a two night stay nearby. :thumb