Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping is not what it used to be

crazygrandad

crazygrandad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Trying to book a week away at a few campsites with the grandkids over the summer and everywhere is either full or charging £60+ per night for a pitch. Also some sites are now charging booking fee's ( what is that all about?)

5 years ago a camping holiday was an economical break but not any more.

I know there are some sites out there for £20 per night but even some CL's are now charging £20+

Might aswell book a hotel at this rate

Rant over

16euros with ACSI Card on French campsites gets you electricity too.
Uk campsites definitely overpriced

16euros with ACSI Card on French campsites gets you electricity too.
Uk campsites definitely overpriced

only during the low season though (although still an excellent deal).

Agree. We recently stayed overnight in a Premier Inn for a wedding.
£35 room only. Booked a couple of months in advance.
However, I think children will enjoy a campsite more.

Stayed at a lovely campsite on Sunday night, my favourite one in fact.

£6 a person per night.

It's the very definition of peaceful, or it has been each time I have visited. Cows and sheep can be a bit noisy and church bells on a Sunday morning...

There's nothing to do there, no kids area, no pub. Just a sloping field. The toilets are of the compositing type, showers are 20p. There used to be swallows (or maybe martins?) nesting in the kitchen, but they seem to have moved to the barn.

You can see the sea from the top of the site, it's about 15 mins walk to the beach (wild garlic and elderflower still available on the route!)

NT site at Highertown, about half an hour from the Eden project in Cornwall.

Edit: Sorry, I lied about there being nothing to do - I noticed they had installed a ping pong table. I have no idea why.

Trying to book a week away at a few campsites with the grandkids over the summer and everywhere is either full or charging £60+ per night for a pitch. Also some sites are now charging booking fee's ( what is that all about?)

5 years ago a camping holiday was an economical break but not any more.

I know there are some sites out there for £20 per night but even some CL's are now charging £20+

Might aswell book a hotel at this rate

Rant over
Try Shell Island, kids will love it!

Back