Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping shower

Jubilado Tim

Jubilado Tim

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Have there been any reviews on camping showers carried out - nothing jumps out on the forum categories? I looking for an inexpensive 12 volt system m that I could plug in to the 12v socket at the rear of the van to power a small pump with water being fed from a bucket/tank/bottle 9or even stream!) - something suitable for using when not on hook up.

This is the one I have my eye on for when the van arrives. I've specced the on-board shower for the dogs/beach but if I have to shower 'wild' it'd probably be in a pop up tent so I'd want something that could be used remotely
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CZG9QM7/?tag=eliteelect-21

We have one of these for the dog, but provides enough pressure to shower under - no electric required:

Not electrical, but I love our Quechua hand pump shower. It's easy to fill and pump and can be used with hot or cold water. Mine's very similar, but the previous model. Very impressed with it :)

Heat your water by any means you have, fill it up, hand pump and hey presto. The new version is black so you can leave it in the sun to heat up too.
shower.JPG

I use either a small blow up paddling pool or a Lakeland oven shelf soak tray as a shower tray.

Great for showering us and the dog. It's very portable so you can take it to the beach, etc. It can be transported with water in it if you need too. Sometimes I use it for rinsing clothes or the dishes or washing the van.

For showering us, I put it in a quechua toilet/shower tent or sometimes make a shower cubicle in the driveaway awning.
shower tent.JPG

Last edited:
A long thread about this on the German Forum:

A long thread about this on the German Forum:
Good review of the older version. My update: it now holds 10l of water and the temp gauge is good enough to stop you scalding yourself or damaging the “bag”.

Good review of the older version. My update: it now holds 10l of water and the temp gauge is good enough to stop you scalding yourself or damaging the “bag”.
That’s right.
Further on this thread (page 2) a genious boiler made with a Cobb. Brilliant

At the moment I use one of these, which is very good. It’s USB rechargeable. I got it in Biltema in Scandanavia though.

That’s right.
Further on this thread (page 2) a genious boiler made with a Cobb. Brilliant
I can’t find the post you refer to, Arie. I’m interested in this Cobb boiler idea. Can you point me in the exact direction of the post?

I can’t find the post you refer to, Arie. I’m interested in this Cobb boiler idea. Can you point me in the exact direction of the post?
Each post has a #number to the top right of it. Do you know the post number, Arie?

Thought it might be. I’m using Google translate for the text but can’t view the pictures so can’t see what they mean. When you say “Cobb” do you mean the Cobb oven/grill/bbq or something else?
I do mean the Cobb oven. If you translate you lose the pictures I guess.
Indeed #29 and #30

Thought it might be. I’m using Google translate for the text but can’t view the pictures so can’t see what they mean. When you say “Cobb” do you mean the Cobb oven/grill/bbq or something else?
you will see some lines at the bottom of the post. Click on the lines and it will open up the pics :)

Yup, that is a pic of a cobb/similar oven.

you will see some lines at the bottom of the post. Click on the lines and it will open up the pics :)

Yup, that is a pic of a cobb/similar oven.
Thanks. I had to register to see the pics. I'm a BIG FAN of the Cobb so was intrigued. Very clever.

I think for me though it'll be easier for me to heat my water with my Kellie Kettle on the Cobb. IMG_2385 (1).jpg

You can supplement the ashes/remaining coals with sticks/twigs (the only time you can use fire on the Cobb without melting the ring or grommets - as they're contained in the kettle's chimney). The Kellie kettle boils really quickly over charcoal or fire.

Not electrical, but I love our Quechua hand pump shower. It's easy to fill and pump and can be used with hot or cold water. Mine's very similar, but the previous model. Very impressed with it :)

Heat your water by any means you have, fill it up, hand pump and hey presto. The new version is black so you can leave it in the sun to heat up too.
View attachment 64406

I use either a small blow up paddling pool or a Lakeland oven shelf soak tray as a shower tray.

Great for showering us and the dog. It's very portable so you can take it to the beach, etc. It can be transported with water in it if you need too. Sometimes I use it for rinsing clothes or the dishes or washing the van.

For showering us, I put it in a quechua toilet/shower tent or sometimes make a shower cubicle in the driveaway awning.
View attachment 64407

Have also made a shower cubicle out of a kids hula hoop with shower curtains hanging from rings (can use string/cord). Packs very flat and can be hung from a tree branch, a line between the van and pole/anything else you can tie the end to or under the open tailgate.

Have also made a shower cubicle out of a kids hula hoop with shower curtains hanging from rings (can use string/cord). Packs very flat and can be hung from a tree branch, a line between the van and pole/anything else you can tie the end to or under the open tailgate.
I suppose you could also make one with a semi circular or square "ring" and find a way to attach it to the side of the van's awning track or suction cup to the body/windows (I've seen one on the internet somewhere made out of plumbing piping and shower curtains).

We tried out our Colapz 12v shower and bucket the other day, with water heated in one of those black bag things (bought from Lidl a few years ago). Used a baby bath to stand in, which fits on the back shelf with shoes in when not in use. This was used standing inside the awning, no shower curtains, just a bit of care to only spray it on myself instead of all over the place. It's surprising how little water we needed. A kettle full (with cold added) would be more than enough.

Have there been any reviews on camping showers carried out - nothing jumps out on the forum categories? I looking for an inexpensive 12 volt system m that I could plug in to the 12v socket at the rear of the van to power a small pump with water being fed from a bucket/tank/bottle 9or even stream!) - something suitable for using when not on hook up.

You might find article this useful - it’s from a blog I regularly look at for camping things - hope the link works

We have been using a USB-charged hand-held shower bought from Amazon UK (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Portable-Operated-Showerhead-Rechargeable) since 2016 and it has proved lightweight, compact and powerful enough for camping trips. The pump end is submerged into a bucket of warm water leaving you to shower yourself by hand or by hanging the shower-head from a suitable point in your awning or shower tent.

View attachment 64406

View attachment 64407

I have a Quechua hand pump shower, excellent bit of kit. Simple system. It’s the best camping show I have used so far. Highly recommended.

I'd favour a bucket of warm water, a flannel, soap and the privacy of the van. Whilst I'd always prefer a shower a good old wipe down with soapy water and then a rinse with clean water is good enough. I'd guess most of us on this forum spent our childhoods and beyond cleaning ourselves this way as only Sunday was bath day. Or was I deprived?
:) and the first of the 8 children was the lucky one. Don’t spoil any water!
Heard my father about this

:) and the first of the 8 children was the lucky one. Don’t spoil any water!
Heard my father about this
My sister and l would double up and get in after my brother. Years later, at a family party, he confessed to always weeing in the water before he got out. Little sod!!

I'd favour a bucket of warm water, a flannel, soap and the privacy of the van. Whilst I'd always prefer a shower a good old wipe down with soapy water and then a rinse with clean water is good enough. I'd guess most of us on this forum spent our childhoods and beyond cleaning ourselves this way as only Sunday was bath day. Or was I deprived?
2 flannels of different colours. One for botty/bits and the other for the rest. These days we also pre-wipe botty/bits with a wet wipe (especially useful for fellas maybe - just sayin’ ;) )